Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much formal training have you had?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by DisgruntledDog, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Minimum to get your licence

33 vote(s)
  2. Intermediate

12 vote(s)
  3. Advanced

6 vote(s)
  4. Advanced on racetrack

14 vote(s)
  1. There is lots of discussions on these forums about training being the answer to reducing the road toll rather than the focus on speed and/or alcohol.

I am curious as to how much formal training people here have actually had.

From my understanding, for training to be effective, it needs to be reinforced regularly. In other words, practice, practice.

2. I don't know which way to vote on this one... Formally I've only done the basics to get a bike licence/car licence/truck licence.

I have however spent my whole life around advanced driving, racetracks and motorsport, and was taught to drive 'informally' by professionals... if that makes sense.
  3. I'm interested in what percentages of riders here have had the kind of training that would be considered acceptable by the authorities to obtain and/or keep your licence.
  4. heading back to the track soon to do a CSBS... but done the hart inter course which was great
  5. Like... um... getting your licence? I'm confused. :-s
  6. Done HART intermediate about 4 times now, and advanced once (I reckon intermediate's better).
  7. I have only done the formal training required to get a licence. Which quite frankly isn't enough. I'd love to be able to do the intermediate and advanced riding courses, but the cost is to prohibitive.

If you live in regional areas then forget it, the cost of it is too much for a lot of people.

For example from Wagga, the closet race track for me is either Winton (2.5hrs away) or Wakefield (3 hrs away). Canberra is about 2.5 to 3 hours as well.

So for say a two day coarse, not only is there the cost of the coarse, there is 5 to 6 hours of travel and overnight accomodation and meals.

Not only does training need to be available, it needs to be affordable and accessible.
  8. I selected minimum to get licence, but I am planning to do advanced training this year.
  9. I voted intermediate.
    I've done my basic learner/P plate training, plus the Stay Upright Learner Roadcraft course (which is the same as their intermediate course).
    Plus 2 levels of defensive driving.
  10. I voted intermediate also;

Did the stay upright "intermediate" course which I didn't think much of at all. I did it after I got my daytona to freshen up and get in tune. All I took away was the slow speed stuff - the rest I already practice in my own time.

However - I have had 1-on-1 mentoring to work on cornering techniques and what not, and I've had dedicated rides to chosen roads to practice new techniques or fine tune older one's etc. I beleive I've gained more from mentoring and dedicated practice sessions then I did in the stay-upright course.

Also had 3 broadford trackdays without tuition. First was more of a play day, last two were to practice certain things which I never mastered anyway, :(
  11. Couldn't vote as there was no training when I got my licence, (34 years ago) "ride to the end of the block and back, if you don't fall off you pass"

Actually I did the stay upright "p" course about ten years ago because my wife was doing it and I reckoned that she was being taught crap, (wasn't crap, just different terminology and techniques)
  12. I put down minimum ... with a bike i've only done what was required to get my license. I dont think my advanced driving course would count because its not bike related.

In the future (some time this year) Id like to do a 4WD'ing course and some form of riding course.
  13. How do the newbs who are still learning vote?

Unloved! We don't get a section. ;)
  14. so far, ive only done basics for car and bike (getting license)

i plan to get a MR license sometime this year, and will do that training, also, once i can afford another bike, i will do the HART intermediate as i have heard good things, and after an interesting experience on a 600, would like some extra training.
  15. Stay upright intermediate
    Stayupright advanced braking and cornering (on track)
    Yarra ranges guided ride
    Yamaha SMART intermediate (doesn't exist any more)
    Sandown skills day x2
    HART intermediate x2
    Rider Bros Knee down
    CSBS level1 x2, level 2, crashed out of level 3 lol

I haven't done a course in a couple of years now... but will be getting back into the swing of things soon... it's amazing what you relearn. +1 on HART's intermediate course.

I've clocked up some 130000km and am always always learning. Courses help you correct bad habits and make you think about your riding. The skillz obtained have helped me avoid untold number of road prangs, but even so, I have collected 3 road drops (minor bruising only) and 2 (very manly) track crashes (busted bones etc).
  16. structured group training irritates me. i hate being taught to the lowest common denominator.

ive learnt allot more from pushing my own boundaries, dirt and a half a dozen track days.

everyone is different, some will never be fast, some will never be safe.

7 bikes.

actually now that i think bout it its about 100,000kms. damn commuting kms
  17. None, at all. Have had my licence for 32 years.
  18. Riding with better riders count?

if not, i've only done the first 2 levels of california superbike school at phillip island.... on top of the minimum to get my licence.
  19. Just the licences tests about 18 years ago.

Then 10 years as a courier, covering about 500,000 ks.

Then 30+ trackdays applying "A Twist of the Wrist" and shaving more than 30 secs from my lap times in that period.

I am always trying to learn from my riding, I read a lot, I listen to my betters, apply it and then analyse the results and refine my technique. I am always looking for improvement in my riding and my understanding of what the bike is doing under me.

I've seen the Hart courses and CSBS level 1 from the outside, and frankly I don't think those courses would teach me anything new, and I wouldn't spend the money on them. But that isn't to say they aren't worthwhile for riders who need to build thier experience and knowledge. If they'd let me jump straight to CSBS level 2 or 3 I might have a go, but they won't.

I plan to do the Circuit Breakers race school this year.
  20. none for riding, done first two levels of an advance driving course with Ian Luff Motivation. Best thing I ever did in terms of roadcraft.