Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much experience did you need?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by beery, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Yes, It will make you a better rider.

2. No, You should wait and practice.

0 vote(s)
  1. After 2months and countless hours of free work from 2 mechanics (well $150 for about 16hrs work is near enough 2 free) and other helpers i have the DR600 up and running DAMN well.

So now i want to start ridding it, im starting to get my skills going about 5hrs ridding but im not overly confident this is where the problem lies. My girl who drives me everywhere has to work arvo shift so that meens i have to get my own way home from work i start at 6am so its no problem ridding around at that time of day but i finish at 5pm so the roads are alot busyer i only have to ride 10kms but its all main roads.

What would you do in this situation or what did you do did you ease yourself in or did you jump?

Should i bide my time and spend a week paying for cabs or should i just go for it?
    I think i will be fine and im just abit scared which i hope is normal.

Thank you from this scared rider.

2. Go for it. Be careful. And take some side streets at first if it makes you feel safer, you're on your bike now so it doesnt matter if it takes you 60mins for that 10min trip does it? It will be fun.
  3. i'd bide my time personally, i'm in the same position, pretty scared and lacking confidence but i'm doing 10-20min rides a day with the missus following me around and i'm gaining confidence, i live inner city so there really aint' many quiet roads around
  4. Meh, get out there bro.

Sit in traffic if you're too nervous to ride more aggressively, take your sweet time and don't let frustrated drivers put you off if you're slowing them down or stalling in front of them, you're a learner, you've got a bigarse L plate on and they can just f*cken wait!

You'll be fine, just don't do anything silly or let yourself get flustered, keep your cool.
  5. go for it m8 .. i just got my L's 2 months ago and i ride everytime i have a chance.. just like driving , experince comes with time spent on the road..you will do yourself great unjustice if you you dont spend time on road regardless of condition ..just take it easy..thers a saying...SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE..HARD AND FAST MAKES MISTAKE..
  6. As suggested above, go for it.

Just give yourself plenty of time, and remind yourself you're not in a rush. Don't lanesplit, just go with the flow, you'll get used to the bike, used to riding around town.

I recently upgraded from a postie to a ZZR250... was a weird week or two of adjustment, had to consciously take it easy, get used to the bike.
  7. I'd also say go for the commute, with one proviso:
    Practice your slow speed stuff pretty solidly over a few afternoons or a weekend before you do it. This will give you confidence in taking off from lights, turning corners, stuck in traffic etc. If you at least feel a bit confident doing these things, it will free your brain up a bit for concentrating on traffic.
    When in traffic, leave a nice gap, don't travel directly beside another car and just generally relax. If someone tailgates, ignore them as best you can and just ride. Do your headchecks, and look twice, look once, indicators, look again, THEN merge or change lanes or whatever. Easy to miss stuff when you are nervous. I assume you know the roads you'll commute on, so that also frees your mind up a bit too.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. 5 hours ,ummmm No .

You will know when your ready.

I did 300km ,of riding around the local streets ,practicing up threw the gear and back down ,quick stops ,and new i wasn't going to stall.
    Then i knew i was "as ready as i could be" to do my first big ride ,that was going to be 30 minutes ,after 30 minutes i keeped going ,ended up in on the south coast and 180km.
  9. Woohoo!!! wot Loz said you have your L's & you pay rego so take your place out there at your own pace! just remember if you're an 80k rider ya may want to build up confidence on 80k roads before ya take to the 100k freewys! Your advantage will be no time constraints on getting home as home will still be there when ya get there!
  10. Yeah go the commute, just leave yourself plenty of time so you can go at your own pace and dont have to rush.
    I was doing the monash commute to work pretty much straight after I got my Ls, been about 6 months and I still leave myself plenty of time, that way i dont have to speed or do anything silly.
  11. Go for it - all the advice above counts, you don't have to push yourself, but you gotta start somewhere, i did and do and its the best time of my life, told my boss it cuts 2 hours off my day, 'cause the commute is now a pleasure not a chore.
  12. Go for it you have to start riding on busy roads sometime myte as well start now just take your time and relax like everyone as said.
  13. I picked up my first bike on Monday night. Riding it home was my first real ride (besides test riding it). So my first ride was in the dark and on a highway then through the city streets back home. I think that one ride gave me a lot of confidence. I was a little nervous at first though.
    I rode the bike to work yesterday for the first time and I was fine. I even had a little rain on the way home. Once you get in the traffic, it won't take you long until you get comfortable. Go for it!
  14. lock in A, Eddie !

In my case . . .

Got licence on a friday.
    Picked up bike the following day on saturday.
    Rode to work on monday.

. . . and have been doing it since. :grin:
  15. personally if have to question whether you are ready to ride in traffic, it would suggest to me that you aren't. Only you now how you feel when you are on the road, and that makes only you qualfied to make the call

Stay safe

Cheers stewy
  16. its all about bum on seat time.. you get no experence looking at you bike and thinking about riding.
  17. I learned to ride in Thai traffic, had never been on a bike before and got straight out on the highway in bonkers traffic wearing singlet, shorts and thongs.

Jump in, the water's fine!
  18. If you want the opinion of an old fart who was in your position as recently as 1967, here goes. I believe you should take the ride if and only if, you have reached a point where actually operating the bike does not take all your attention. If you have not reached that point, you will not have enough attention spare to defend yourself against the endless hazards out to get you. It doesn't usually take long, and as has already been said, you will know when it's right. Don't force yourself, and don't let others make your decisions for you. You have been bitten, there is no cure, you have many years of riding ahead of you, there's no rush.
  19. Go for it man, when I got my L's on my bike I just dived right in head first...into Sydney trafic! if I can do it so can you.
  20. Generally I'd say go for it if you are OK with your ability but if when you start you don't feel comfortable - stop and wait till the rush is over.

If it's the traffic on the way home you're worried about then plan it in stages. If there's somewhere on the way to stop for a coffee or something then do that. As Inci said - don't force yourself.