Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much difference tyres make in the wet..

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Birdy, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Hey all, couldn't find an answer to this. I was wondering on people's opinions wether changing to a more grippy tyre would make winter/wet riding safer and by how much.

For example, I have been advised that the shinko's on my bike are like plastic and I have been considering the Dunlop GPRa10s for about $380 given that winter is approaching.

Will it be significantly better and hence safer? By how much? 5%?

I would ride more cautiously anyway, but extra safety will always be welcome.

2. It's impossible to quantify "how much safer", since there are too many variables.
    But as a general rule, if you get a "good" set of tyres, they will usually be sufficient in the wet and dry. And then some tyres are usually noted for their wet weather grip over some of the others.
    You will need to rearch your specific bike and what tyres perform best with it.
    Make sure you buy a "set"...don't mix and match brands etc.
  3. raven, what's wrong with mixing and matching tyres? If a particular tyre feels good for the front, and another brand better suited the rear, wouldn't that be ok?

4. I would mix differing brands if I liked the feel of brand A on the front and brand X on the rear. I have mixed different tyres of the same brand and had good feel and confidence doing so.
    In the wet as long as you dont use slicks or wornout tyres you should be good, some are just a bit better than the others when pushing the limit. Always take it easy in the wet and give yourself extra time and distance.

Thats my opinion on the subject anyway.
  5. Forget 5%, the difference between good wet weather tires (good tires in general even) and plain crap tires is incredible. Even if you ride like a granny in the wet, for a few $$ why not chuck on some decent rubber.
  6. thanks for the replies... so what i'm hearin is that better tyres will be better in winter wet riding (in general) and the difference could be heaps (all factors considered)...

I suppose just having more confidence on the rubber under you would probably make more of a difference to safety...

i think raven said on another post that sometimes being too tip-toey and being too careful might actually get you into more trouble....

anybody tried the GPRa10s?

I'm on a 250 still by the way so i'm not going to be rippin it up...

thanks again
  7. BT45's are pretty good in the wet, as are Sport Demons. Personally, I prefer the SD's over the BT45's. (and that comes from riding around for ~25,000k's on each of them ;))
  8. Hi Peaches.
    Many tyres these days, come as a matched pair or with THAT in mind. In the case of tread patterns...a number of mfrs design their front tyres thread pattern to not just allow grip of the front tyre, but also to clear a relatively drier path for the rear tyre to run on. Accordingly, the tread of the rear tyre will be "adjusted" with that in mind. ie..the actual groove width of the tread on the rear tyre may be "thinner" (which allows more traction) since it does'nt have to clear as much water from the road .

Also...the tyre's shape (profile) will be matched to each other (front-rear) to provide the correct handling characteristics that the tyr mfr is trying to get.
    Edit..They may or may not be the same profile - could be two differing profiles that compliment each other for better handling.

The rubber compounds used will sometimes be different (front-rear) as in the case of the Pirelli CorsaIII to name one. All to facilitate handling overall.

That is'nt to say that one tyre from one brand won't necessarily work with another brand...Sometimes, the front tyre of one brand might just provide the sort of "feel" that a rider prefers, when mixed with a different brand rear, but it is not "the norm", and you would need to the experience to be able to make the judgement..

I'm not the expert on tyres, at all...this is just from my own common knowledge and experience, Peaches.

Others might be able to explain it better or have greater knowledge than I, so I hope they chime in. :)

9. Thanks John. i'll be sure to ask the dealer in the future when I need to change tyres if a matching pair is the best solution for my bike. Not sure what kind of tyres go on the CBR125...
  10. For tyres I've tried the GPR70(the one before the GPR a-10) on my cbr250 and they feel really good.

Now I'm curruntly on the arrowmax. I can say that the arrowmax doesnt quite provide me as much feel as the GPR70. Someone will say that these two cant be compared as they're different cat(arrowmax for more commuting and gpr70 for more sporting).

I'm saving up for the GPR a10 for my next set of tyres...
  11. Oh, loads mate. I don't know how they used to stop without 'em.
  12. Absolutely bloody sensational! Get 'em!
  13. :) Very funny mate

These brake pads are a great invention too, a foot on your front tyre was never really good enough....

i think I will... cheers
  14. Hows the tread pattern on the GPRa10s? In displacing water I think them may not be as good because of the minimal tread pattern.
  15. I ran the spur with them once in the pissing rain getting a decent amount of lean angle with no dramas. They heat up exceptionally quickly too which helps.
  16. Can them while you're still alive. Terrible tyres.
  17. Shinko's, anything will be better.

Nah seriously, go for a pilot power.

The first set I used I scrubbed them in when it was wet and it was actually a lot of fun!
  18. Had a look first hand at a pair of GPRa10s yesterday...

soft and probably very sticky (on the road)....

fingernail test showed this thing was pretty soft...

asked about the tread pattern and water displacement at Staffords... seems like you'd have to get some serious lean angle to need the extra 1 cm tread to the edge ... but i suppose it will matter to some..

fittin' em monday.... :grin:

PPs seems like you get about similar performance and grip for more price, and apparently my mechanic's suppliers are out of stock in the 150s anyway....

goodbye shinkos...

thanks for you 'pinions...
  19. If you've gone to Staffords then you've done well. Ray is a top bloke and knows his stuff :wink:
  20. I have gone through quite a few sets of gpra10s. The previous gpr70s were great, very stable, sticky.

But these a10s are even better. They are marvelous. Used them on the road, and they were faultless, even in the wet. On the track they inspire alot of confidence, they give good feedback, nice profile helps. In the wet on the track they were good, slid only a bit when really cranked over. They heat up super quick, and they stick.