Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much could it be???

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by fingers89, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Hey all NR's.

Ive got a 250 bandit, and i was wondering if anybody knew some mods i could do, how much they would cost roughly and also if needed where i can get the items to be fitted (only if it is hard, or requires a professionals touch).

2. Disclaimer: This is not meant as a flame, just my opinion, so please don't take offence.

If you're a new-ish rider, the best mod you can do is to yourself. Instead of trying to make your bike look cooler or go 5km/h faster, go and do some advanced riding courses.

No amount of bling will make up for poor riding technique.
  3. If you must, get an after market muffler from ebay for a few hundred. Save the rest for an upgrade :)
  4. Its ok mate, i actually agree with you, but what sort of stuff do they teach you on these courses?? And yeah no offence taken.

5. Sintered pads - think somewhere around 50 bucks each end, definitely makes a big improvement to braking performance compared to the stock ones (higher rotor wear though). Not that difficult to do yourself.

Softer tyres - probably somewhere around 300 bucks for front and rear

Other than that I'd just be making sure everything else is as good as possible , ie new air filter, fresh fork oil, fresh brake fluid etc. Trying to increase hp on a 250 is pointless, it'll always be slow compared to bigger bikes. But if you make sure the brakes/handling are doing their best you should be able to give bigger bikes a decent run on a twisty bit of road ;).
  6. Essentially, they're a step-up from your basic "this is how to ride a bike" course. More about refining your skills. The sorts of things that will help you ride smoother. Going faster is about being smooth, not just hitting WOT.

I do agree with jd re: upgrading tyres (they still have to be suitable for the type of riding you're doing, though) and getting the most out of your brakes and suspension (without upgrading major components).