Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much chain lube is enough?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Spud Gun, Jan 21, 2005.

1. I am going to wash my bike at the weekend, and I will be cleaning the chain. But how much chain lube is required? This is obviously something I want to get right. Should it be layered on generously? Sparingly applied? Or a thin coat to cover the entire chain?

2. How much Chain lube

SG I haven't owned a chain bike for about 10 years but coincidentally my last was a GS500E. Nice bike for throwing around and provided you keep the revs up near the top of the scale goes well too.

The main thing I remember about oiling the chain was to run the bike for a few k's to warm the chain before applying goop, apply goop, then let cool before riding again. I was told long ago that this aids penetration and reduces "throw" (I assume you have nice white wheels like my black GS?).

As far as amount goes - good coverage without excess dripping paying attention to trying to get goop (spraycan with nozzle attachment?) into chain - I found around back cog for external and on top of lower chain for internal worked best. Oh and avoid putting goop anywhere on tyre if possible for slippery reasons.

I stand to be corrected on any of this from people who know better!

3. Note: Advice following is from rank amateur non-mechanic.

Yeah, the main thing is to keep goop away from the tyres and brake pads.

I use a cloth with WD40 to clean things up first, then a little paintbrush to get gear oil into the chain and get rid of any drips. Doesn't seem to matter how careful I am or how warm the chain is before I get into this part, there's always some gear oil that gets flung off and onto my shiny back wheel, so a cleanup the next day is always mandatory.

It seems to get pretty oily underneath the chain cover closest to the centre of the bike as well, so I tend to clean that up the next day too.

It's worth doing though, from what I understand it makes a chain and sprocket last much longer, and keeps the bike running smoothly and quietly.

I'm still pretty keen on shaft drive for my next bike though. I just can't see any advantages of staying with a chain or belt.
  4. That's the one.
  5. DO NOT USE WD40 TO CLEAN YOUR CHAINit will eat the orings,

use kerro, or even better a citrus based degreaser.
  6. Hello

Sorry to be bringing these old posts back , just seeing what tips i can get . I remember someone telling my to oil the chain regularly . How long is regularly ?

7. This works for me... I cover around 300k a week (not counting weekends) and I spray my chain once a week, I find it best to do when I pull into my garage and while the chain is still warm. This helps the chain lube penetrate.

8. Heres one guys look at chains

and another

Yet Another

You'll find lots or words of wisdom on chains, and everyone swears by the way they do it,
    for most of us mortals its a suck it and see what works best for you :?

But seems theres plenty around that think good old oil is still one of the best ,
    just messy and you need to really clean the chains first
  9. I do mine at the servo on every 2nd tank of petrol .. that way the chains warm, and I remember to do it.
  10. Regular riding = regular chain lubes. If you regularly commute every day, regularly lube at least once per week. ( of course if your commuting >100km per day, I would lube every 2-3 days for maximum chain life.)If you belt through the twisties every weekend, then always lube when you get home ( hot chain = good penetration.....this sounds dirtier than it really is :p ) Non O-ring chains are both lighter ( less HP loss) and easier to clean and lube than O-ring chains ( O-rings just hold in all the dirt and wear out quicker imho) Personal favourite lube is Motorex, it goes on white and is therefore easy to see that you have lubed entire chain. It will stay white for a considerable period of regular use, when you can no longer see the chain lube, it is time to re-apply. Just my 2c worth :)
  11. how about removing the chain to clean it up and stuff. I'm a newb with bike mechanics and I was thinking to myself the other day jeez my chain is dirty I should clean it with some kero. But I don't know how to take it off, or maybe I do but I definitely don't know how to get it back on =\
  12. If your chain is super dirty, then it would be worth the effort to remove, clean properly, thoroughly lube off the bike then re-fit. Old timers like myself used to swear by Duckhams chain lube in the good (bad) old days, where you would fully soak the chain in a tin of hot melted grease ( I kid you not.) It would take 1/2 a day to clean the chain, and a day and a half to get the grease out from under your fingernails :wink: Nowadays, use rubber dishwashing gloves, soak a rag in kerosene, hold the chain in the middle of the bottom run ( keep fingers well away from rear sprocket )and run the chain through the rag by slowly turning the back wheel in normal direction. Keep turning the rag until the chain looks and is clean. Then use spray lube as per instructions on the can. This works great for non O-ring chains. If you do need to remove from bike, then soak in a big tin of kero, give it a jolly rogering with a stiff dishwasher brush, and lube as per above. IMHO O-ring ( or X-ring :D ) chains only belong on chook chasers, where dirt is a real problem on each ride.

13. I'll have to check what I got on mine, thanks for the tip I think I'll give the rag with kero a go.