Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much can you haggle off the price of a new bike?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by dryfter, Oct 10, 2012.

?
  1. I paid the asking price

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Up to 1% (eg. $100 off on a $10k price)

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Up to 5% (eg. $500 off a $10k price)

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Up to 10% (eg. $1000 off a $10k price)

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. More than 10%

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. Hey all,
    I've tried searching the forum but my google-fu must be bad -- I couldn't find anything about this topic, but surely it's come up before?

I was just wondering -- what are your experiences? How much you can get a salesman to knock down the price of a new bike?
    (Or throw in high-value freebies -- luggage, exhausts, etc)

Of course the amount will vary depending on the price of the bike.. there's more room to move on a $20k one than a $5k bike.. but I'm curious to hear your experiences.

thanks,
    Toby

2. Depends on a lot of things. Overall value of the bike, Demand etc. Also, how good are you at haggling..

3. There are so many variables every situation will be different, the only way to really know is to do some research on prices and make your best offer, if it's knocked back, leave your contact details and walk away. If you dont get a call within 3 days you can assume they dont want to play.
    First one that speaks usually loses. That is my slant on it anyway. Remember unless its a rare item there are other sellers who's situation might be different.

4. Example
    Looking for my last bike I went to Peter Stevens in melbourne
    On a 2012 model they were not willing to move much at all but could have got a deal on gear
    On a brand new 2010 model they had (different bike) they were willing to move around $5k off ticket price

There are no set rules
    All depends on the day and what's in the shop and what side of bed the salesman woke up

5. I can research prices by looking at the sticker price on several showroom floors, but it doesn't seem to tell me much about what they really sell for. I was starting this thread as a way to try and research that.. Could you point me to any other resources?

Thanks for your advice.

6. On mine, Kwaka were offering a grand off the 2012 model. I got another grand off, plus some stuff thrown in. I am usually happy to accept the accessories in lieu of huge discounts (assuming they're what I would buy later anyway). Did the same with my car, purchased a week ago.

I did the bike deal over the phone, but it was made quite clear I was ready to buy if the deal was to my satisfaction. A bit of haggling; we met in the middle re the accessories (which I intended), I gave them my Visa number as a deposit and gave them a bank cheque for the balance the day I picked up the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I will generally haggle ver the price of gear.

"If I buy this bike what will I get? A cover, a free first service, boots, gloves etc. This way the sales guy sees their sticker price sale making their figures look good and the extras (which have rediculous margins) go on a separate transaction which won't fck up their numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I use bikesales and redbook to get an idea of what things are selling for. If you are talking new bikes then the deals most dealers are offering at the moment are pretty good anyway, with the dollar high and demand low.
    If your not sure make a silly offer and work up, there are no rules, you make your own.

9. I did this with Hyundai. The guy I was dealing with (which wasn't my original contact b/c he'd taken in impromptu day off for his son's birthday) did the numbers and came up with a figure. I could see he hadn't really tried very hard, so I said I'd pay it, but for the next model up. He ummed and ahhed, and gave me another lousy couple of hundred more for my trade in. I was expecting him to be a 'bit' more realistic so we could start the haggling in earnest, but he wouldn't budge. I walked away.

Ended up buying a Mazda3 with a heap of extras for pretty much the same price. Bonus that the 3 will tow the bike (the towbar was included in the deal), which the i30 would not (can't fit a towbar to it at all apparently).

10. I unfortunately chose a rare albeit not particularly demanded bike (Royal Enfield) so when I tried to determine some wiggle room, was basically told 'Well mate this is the only one in the state and it'll be gone in days if you don't put a deposit down now, your choice'. So a big part of it is how many options you have on the same bike from different places.

11. There is no set formula
    Each bike is different

12.  Top
  13. have used them.
    usefull, yes and no.
    some dealers will say anything over the phone to get you in the store.
    but it's a helpfull tool. just make an enquiry and let them come to you. play them of against each other.
    ultimately peter stevens will give you the best price because whatever it takes they won't lose you to an independant. not much is made in the sale of the bike itself.
    you can drive the hard bargain, but i'm happy with a fair, honest price. i want the sales guy to put food on his table too.
    and if you find a good dealership with a real mechanic, that's a win

• Like Like x 1
  14. depends on what you're buying too of course.
    generic suzuki, yamaha, hyodung etc. room to move on price.
    you want a diavel. you pay their asking price. or someone else will.

15. That's the thing though.. what is a fair price?
    If everyone knocks a grand off the RRP, then I'm a sucker for paying full price. If no-one does, then it is a fair price I guess.

I dislike not having that information though. The salesperson knows everything, I know nothing. I'd like to even things up a bit so it's fair.

16. The last car and bike i bought I didn't even step foot in the door.
    everyone expects you to haggle so why not do it. especially we get stupidly overpriced because aust is a smaller market then europe and USA. (and taxes)
    i paid 11500 ride away for a 2012 zx6r when the sitcker on the front said 14ish. and a second hand ones are going for 12... at the time kwaka were doing a $1000 off so that got it a bit lower to start.
    play the dealers against themselves name names even use the sales guys name if there local shops theres going to be a rivalry.
    Ring one dealer say you will come down with cash today normally helps if they know your dead serious.(if you can don't start off by saying you can then duck around with them youll just piss them off and it wont work)
    Get there price then ring the next. Say how much the first offered (knock a bit off but dont be greedy)
    wait for them to get back to you.
    Ring the first one tell them the lower offer and go back and forth while your sitting at home feet up having a beer.
    Dont be afraid to say no either you might not get what you want

• Like Like x 2
  17. Luckily I found this thread.

I found a 2011 model bike, it has less than 50kms, and is ticketed at $11990. They have painted the bike black as it is only imported in 1 boring colour. I think they must have painted it to put a new spice on it to try and move it. I don't want to mention what model it is in case the dealers read this and figure out my game plan...

What first offer should I throw at them? I am not going to play any mind games or hardball, if they can't meet the offer I am very willing to walk out and keep searching. I know this bike model is something which is difficult to sell because it only appeals to the older folks and isn't as in demand as the sports bike.

Demo models in NSW are selling for
    2012, 400kms $11 199
    2011, 4100kms $10 990
    2011, 12 000kms $9 990
    And $11 990 for new models, can't remember if it was 2011 or 2012, probably the latter thoug.h

Queensland
    2012, 10kms $12 000 "ride away"

South Aus
    2012, 100kms $10 990 "ride away"

The black paint job makes it look nicer but I don't think its worth all that extra much, and as it was painted through their own inhouse smash repairer, it cost them little. Any thoughts?

18. its alot harder if your after "that specific bike" if theres only one around your area the dealer will know that so good luck getting it down.
    if your pre pared to walk away go in offer a grand less and free first service.
    dont talk to the kid that looks cocky cause he really doesnt care he'll just laugh. Try talking to one of the other guys who actually might talk to his manager and try negotiate a deal.

19. Rule number 1. Don't make it an 'emotional' transaction. Do your homework. Know exactly what the bike is worth (look on bikesales.com, redbook etc) and try for at least 5% off sticker price. Know your limit. Otherwise 'bundle'. As mentioned, what can they throw in: free service, gear, extended insurance etc. Salesmen are experts in what they do, ie: communication and can read you like a book. YOU are doing THEM a favour in being there. They want you on that bike, make them work for it.

Rule number 2. Be prepared to just politely walk away. There are other bikes. If you find this hard then see Rule number 1. Take a deep breath, stand your ground, be realistic & not a smartarse. Even if you test ride...walk away from an unsatisfactory deal. Salesmen rely on the test ride to get you hooked!

• Like Like x 1