Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How much can I change before having to get it checked out?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by MeltingDOg, May 2, 2012.

1. Hi all. Planning to change a few things in my bike. Was wondering if you need to get it re-road worthied or something if I change too
    much. What I'm changing is:

New indicators
    New custom seat
    New custom tank
    Lower handle bars
    New lights

Engine, brakes and electrics will not be changed.

Cheers

2. Indicators and lights are a road worthy required item. The rest you should get away with I guess IMHO but I am not familiar with the NSW road worthy system.

3. As much as you want; as long as you don't get pulled over for a roadworthy check. :)

Just keep the original bits, if it's ever an issue (or when you sell the bike), you can make it stock again at short notice.

4. my thinking is that as long as you dont change something with an important number on it (ie the frame or engine), and the bike looks and works as a road worthy vehicle, what the rta dont know wont hurt them.
    you would only be in trouble if you were removing essentials such as brake lights, blinkers or headlights. replacing them shouldnt be an issue.

5. Unless a particularly anal inspector (they're out there in numbers!) realiss your new indicators are to close to the headlight, or not far enough from one another, or tehtailight area illuminated is too small, or.......

6. Don't forget that, being in NSW, you will have annual inspections for rego unless the bike is less than 3 years old. I'd make sure that everything you do change is legal to avoid having to change them back for an inspection.

7. Indicators need to have something like 300mm spacing between them (left-right side)
    for one thing.
    Seat, handle bars and tank should be fine, might be worth an engineer checking them over if custom made, lights will need correct aligning, not sure about spacing though.