Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many "tenths" do you ride?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by rc36, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Years ago the famous British racing driver, Striling Moss, coined a scale by which he measured his driving intensity. I'm sure we are all familiar with the term "ten tenths" without necessarily knowing what it means.

Moss determined that, depending on the degree of intensity and application in his driving, he would rate it on a scale out of 10. Later this became expressed as a fraction of 1 in tenths graduations.

Just driving around rated about 5 tenths and then, in increasing degrees of intensity, the driving effort and application went up until the maximum of ten tenths which was as fast as he felt he was able to go.

So, how many "tenths" do we use in our riding, and under what ciorcumstances would we feel it is appropriate to get into the upper scale, the 9 to 10 tenths?

How many "tenths" do you feel comfortable with?

Do you ever ride at ten tenths?

What are the implcations of that decision to you and other road users?
  2. I don't know if one level really covers all the various factors...confidence, fear, ego, skill - they all have their own 10ths I reckon.
  3. As a mediocre rider, I refuse to answer this question! :LOL:
  4. True. I guess I what I'm looking for here is an indication of how close to the limit we ride. It can certainly be categorised according to different situations, but I have seen riders who ride at close to ten tenths in traffic, for example, while another may ride at 6 tenths in traffic and 9 and a half tenths on the Spur...

Just food for thought that's all.
  5. Depends on the mood. I try to ride to the maximum of my ability in traffic - but that's my ability to perceive threats and ride safely, not quickly. Some weekends I'll go quite hard too - but that's more focussed on speed.

Don't think I've ever done 10/10ths for more than a few brief moments at a time though: too scared. :p
  6. It totally depends on the conditions for me

General commuting = 6-7
    Open road/ nice long sweepers = 8
    Tight twisties = 6-7 (I hate not being able to see the exit :shock: )
    Wet = 3-4 :LOL:
  7. In traffic, 5-6 tenths.
    In twisties 6-7 tenths
    On a track day 6-8 tenths for most of the time, with only 2-6 laps of 9 tenths when I 'm feeling up for it and ready to string it all together. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OK I don't mind getting canned for being stupid so I'll admit to riding at 10 tenths and probably a bit beyond on occasion.

I don't know that it's ever really appropriate (I guess maybe at the track)
    I've never really gone out to try ride at my limit, it usually just creeps up on me untill I find the rear stepping out coming into a corner and I either think "Lets do that again" or "hmm might be time to back off a bit stupid" depends on the mood I guess.

I always try to ride well within my limits but if I rode simply to be sensible and safe I probably wouldn't ride.
  9. Commuting - 4-7, I try and be sensible when there are others around...

Empty Hills - 7-9, 7 when I get in and up to 9 within a few minutes when I'm 'feeling' the bike.

The only time I'd take it to 10 would be on a track, and I cant wait :p

My preferred scale is 0%-100% though, I can tell a difference between 85% and 90%

Hmm, whens the next Mallala track day :D
  10. well sorry dudes but i'm into other fractions like one third or half pace and flat out

but seriously i'd say i only ride nowadys at 3 tenths...what with the traffic and all

used to ride ten tenths around the track in country S.A.

most i'm capable of is about 8 tenths now...hope that's not too slow for this site.
  11. This grading system is of course subjective and relative, dependent upon the rider concerned. By the comment expressed above ten tenths was as fast as Stirling Moss was able to go. In comparison if I was driving a car, I might feel that I was riding at ten tenths but compared with Mr Moss on his scale it might only be four tenths.
    When I'm riding my bike sometimes I feel like I'm not pushing hard at all and others I feel like I'm going as fast as I'm capable but compared with some of the guys/girls on the forum my ten tenths is pretty slow (Don't forget, I am riding a CB250...:LOL:)
  12. Exactly - this sort of scaling system has been proven to be very reliable for personal ratings. It is based on your personal assessment of your skills, abilities, etc. at the time versus the demands of the task (in this case riding). If you were tired your skills may decrease so you may rate a ride a 7, even though if you did it when you were awake it may be a 4. Regardless, it can be used as a personal assessment method to determine 'how much in reserve' you may have.

Kieth Code uses the $10 bill example - you only have so much ability and concentration, which equates to $10. Where you spend the $10 is up to you, but once it is gone its gone. There are no loans available while riding.
  13. Oooh that reminds me of the MotoGP game on xbox, where when you win a race you get a couple of experience points to spend on acceleration, cornering, braking and handling or something like that. I wish real life was like that. :)
  14. I really dont have a scale rating .
    I work on the theory :
    i never go over 75-80% of my ability in anything I do.
    why is that you may ask or you may be thinking how can you learn if you dont push yourself.
    I believe that if i only go at 80% no matter what appears or comes up i still have that error factor or lee-way to get out of the situation.

I also use this in comfort factor as well , if i feel uncomfortable or have a "gut feeling " about a situation I will pull out of it , regardless of the outcome.

I really only get out on the twistys a couple of times per year , so i generally spent my initial part getting used to them , and if i dont feel comfortable i just sit back and rubber neck and let ( waive ) others past .

many of those who have riden with me will have been waved passed by me in the twisties, i wont put myself at risk to impress others .
  15. I'm with you, Slider. Give me a series of fast open sweepers (i.e. Hume Dam to Tintaldra :twisted: ) and I'm a VERY happy camper :p . I've never been a fan of the really tight stuff that you can't see through.

:D :D :D
  16. Yep I am with Lil and Slider on this, I much prefer a corner I can see the exit on, also suits my bike and style a lot better. :D:D:D:D:D:D:
  17. is that with or without your glass's oldman :LOL:
  18. And you never answered it either :p

And if you go over that 75%-80%, because you rarely, if at all, practice or experience what is required to recover from it, you are potentially putting yourself at a bigger risk than if you occassionally rode out of your 80% comfort zone. It's like the riders that never go to empty car parks to practive emergency braking or tight u-turns, or a riding training course every year or two.

Yup, regardless of what "tenths" you ride at this is/should be standard for anyone.
  19. 10 10ths? Only on the track and only for about 3 or 4 laps at a time... I can't seem to string more than 3 or 4 good laps together in a row.

I guess I'm too unfit and/or too old these days :)

A tight twisty road I know well... maybe 8 to 9 tenths, open sweeprs about 6 to 7 10ths (trying to keep the licence intact reducing sweeper speed!)

Normal road riding about 5 to 7 tenths.
  20. That's a good question rc36Honda.

On the road I normally ride up to 8 10ths in good conditions (that's based on my estimated available grip). I don't think you should ever ride at 10/10 on the road because you just never know what's around the next corner ;)