Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many rpms when riding?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by TR15tan, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Just wondering how many rpms is good for the bike when cruising in a 60 zone for example.

Which gear do you have it in to achieve this??
  2. Look up the torque and HP figures for your motorcycle and hang around the peak torque RPM.

The ability to get moving when you want is really the most important. Im assuming youre on a small bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. F**king heaps hon!!! Just give it heaps.

All of them hon!!! F**king all of them.

Glad I could help :)
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Personally for cruising at 60 etc, I sit on a gear just above the engine lagging. If something happens, or I anticipate something, then drop a gear or 2 quickly.

If I need more grunt to get out of a situation, or accelerate, I choose a gear suited for it.
  5. I reckon about 8,000 in 1st. the best zone to do unexpected wheelies ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. .......No.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I love you guys but think your all F...ing mad.
    For god sake :) get all those bloody dials and throw them at the dog.
    Feel it baby feel it.
  8. Lol, awesome, wish I could!!!

I have it on about 5000rpms or less, 5th or 6th gear in 60 zone.
    Small bike, only 13Nm.
  9. You probably want to be about 1/2 way through the rev range (or a bit more) on a little 4 popper, so it is not screaming but you still have a bit of power available if you need to GTFO.
  10. In time once you and the bike are familiar, she'll let you know her sweet spots.
  11. #12 adprom, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Judging by [media=youtube]aorfVXP6mEE[/media]

Seems about right.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah, true, but if I understand the theory behind my bike it helps me become a much better rider.

Also, my bike is a guy with some pretty sweet spots :)
  13. Gotta agree. 3 days into ownership, the revometer is the most usless bit of equipment on any road bike.
  14. 60k's, usually 4th. 5th is a bit too long on mine. And the rev limiter starts cutting in around 65 in first...
  15. Everyone has given you bits of it.
    Every bike is different and geared differently. So rev's and gear are up to your bike..and you.
    You want to be able to cruise along without any drive line snatch. Chugga chugga chugga.
    But you don't want to ride along sounding like 100mph doing fourty.
    So you want to be in the gear that lets you cruise smoothly. But then lets you accelerate promptly without having to change down. That is just under or in the meat of the torque zone.
    How tech do you want me to go ???? Do you remember a man called Watt ?? force work and time ??? He invented the horsepower to sell his trains. Not sure but I think his math was faulty or at least misleading. Google that.
  16. 1) Get the bike in whatever gear "feels right"
    2) Twist throttle rapidly open
    3) If the bike bogs down before taking off, you're in too high a gear, drop down and return to step 2
  17. I'd say it all depends on the circumstances...

If it's a clear road I'll sit in 4th, save fuel
    Bit of traffic, pop down to 3rd for better response
    Peak hour or busy I'll sit in second for an instand catapult if needed.

Whatever works. You'll know how much power you need...
  18. What do you mean by "long"?
  19. Long tall high. High gearing. High speeds.
    Now if you listen to GSXjames. No offense James. But if he rides his avatar his bike is capable of over 200kmp/h in third. 1st will see his bike in the 90's.
    If your on say a 250, you wont match his third in your top gear. He will "pull" accelerate in third at 60 easy all the way to 200.
    Think of it this way. you want your bike to be in a gear and at a rev state that allows it and you to do anything you need to do easily.
    And this will come with riding. You will feel it.
    A good way to find where the meat of your power is.
    Find a long quite road and get into top gear at about forty k's. The highest gear you have. And give it full throttle. You will feel it pick up and then hit the torque range where it accelerates at a more rapid pace. That's hitting the torque zone. The sweet spot. Where your motor is coming on song.
    Depending on your bike, just under or just in the sweet spot is where you want to be.
    • Like Like x 1