Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many miles should a regularly maintained bike last?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by markcpotter, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Hi all,

Before moving to Australia I could never commute to work regularly as the weather was too bad.

Now that I am here and the weather allows it (and it is more fun and the traffic is so bad and I cannot stand being sat in traffic in the car) I have decided to commute to work on the bike.

I never used to knock up big miles previoulsy but now with a daily 60 km round trip it is starting to tot up.

Just wondering how many km's people think I would be able to put on an 05 600rr before it became unreliable or would start to cost too much in bits failing?

2. sorry to be a smart arse but how long is a piece of string?

as long as you service it regularly it should last a long, long time.

one of my bikes is a 96 yzf-600 yammy, which i did thrash for awhile. didn't service for 20 thou K's once then got it back into regular services. mechanic said its engine is fine and will carry on for a long time.

maybe the real question should be, how long between services? 5k? 10k?

60k's a day is nothing. when i was couriering(sp?) i was doing 200k's a day.
  3. Well a bloke in England has a VFR-750 which he uses for his courier work, and for recreational riding. It's done 800,000 MILES. The engine was replaced at 400,000 but thanks to great maintenance it's still going, and now due for a second motor change.
  4. it depends on so many things. Why don't you find out for us, and let us know.
  5. So with maintenance at the regular Honda recommended intervals 100,000 km's shouldn't cause any problems?

I am just trying to work out how much I should put aside for when I will need a new bike.
  6. G'day everyone,...

My bike has as I post this just over 55,000klm on her.
    So 100,000klm would be nothing,....
    I do a 200klm round trp to work and back when I ride in,and social and private stuff is just extra K's ontop of that.

I'd expect at least 4-500,000 out of my bike's engine.
    My question would be,..How much dose a engine Overhaul cost?
    ps: just did the 610,000klm service on the 4x4,still running like new!

Dr Who?
  7. You are a silly duffer.
  8. A guy a met has done over 100k on his ducati monster
  9. The biggest problem with owning a bike for big daily commutes is devaluation. Most buyers aren't interested in buying a bike with more than 30Mm on the clock. So they plummet in value after that.

60km/day isn't too bad as you could sell after 1.5-2 years (from new) and still get in before the real drop off in value.

The alternative approach is to buy something that has devalued at around the 35-40Mm mark and then ride it until it is untenable. Then sell it for parts or the committed.

As a commuter 5-600Mm is being unrealistic for a bike. As a tourer maybe. By that stage it will be a grandfathers axe.

bikes are better than they used to be, in that they used to require ever increasing maintenance after the 60Mm and 8-10 year mark. These days it's better, but still not as good as cars.
  10. lubing your chain at least once a month.

too much isnt a bad thing but flick off is annoying on the rear rims..

i do it every tank.

servicing regularly. even if its changing the oil and filter yourself.
  11. A well-maintained modern bike should last indefinitely.

It's an extreme case, I know, but Bike magazine in England last year profiled a motorcycle courier who regularly rode the London-Birmingham route.

He put up 800000 MILES on a VFR750. Yep, you read that right. That's 1280000 kilometres.

At 400000miles he replaced the engine and then did another 400000.

Admittedly the bike would have been operating at peak heat range for most of every day which would help longevity (very little stop-start), but that's still amazing.

In a lesser example, my mechanic in Canberra has seen several VFR's with over 300000kms on the clock and still not requiring major engine work.

The key is good maintenance and adhering to the servicing schedule.
  12. Look at other stuff like tyre sizes and life, fuel consumption etc. Also, servicing costs if you can't do it yourself.

There might be better bikes to do it on too.
  13. So bearing in mind that I will be putting up to about 20K a year on the bike - what would people suggest that I buy next time around.

My 05 600 rr currently has 20k on the clock and I am possible looking to replace this when it gets to 40k so I can still get some money back out of it.

Always had 600 sports bikes which is why I went with this but I suppose now I am commuting that a different bike might be more suitable although it will take me a bit of time to get my head around having anything other than a 600 sportsbike so something at least a bit sporty looking would be preferable.

I was probably going to give myself another 10 years on sportsbikes before I am about to hit 50 and then think I will be a bit too much of an old fart and would probably go for more of a crusier - maybe this might be brought forward!!!
  14. Why would you sell a four-year old 600 with only 40k on the clock :? :? It's barely run in....

My 1998 Hornet had 54,000 on the clock when I bought it, in March '05, and now has 140,000 on it, regularly maintained should last for another ten years :?
  15. Because you were bored within an inch of your life?

16. :LOL: Good point!!!
  17. Because I'll be hitting 40 then and easiest time to square off a new bike with the Mrs!

18. I withdraw the comment, m'lud, the defendant is indeed a wise man :LOL:.