Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW How many L plates?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by ryanwalrus, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Can anyone tell me if I need to display an L plate on the front of my bike?

I'm in NSW and can't get clarification. I don't want to give the cops any excuse to book me!
  2. Conditions for learner riders
    Learner rider licence holders are subject to the following conditions:

• Mobile phones – Mobile phone use is banned for learner riders. You must not use a mobile phone while riding or while your motorcycle is moving or is stopped but not parked. This includes phones in the hands-free mode or with the loudspeaker operating. The penalty for mobile phone use is 3 demerit points and a fine, or 4 demerit points if the offence occurs in an operating school zone.
    • Zero Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) – This means you cannot ride a motorcycle after consuming ANY form of alcohol.
    • Demerit points – If you incur 4 or more demerit points during a 3-year period, your licence will be suspended for 3 months.
    • Display of L signs – L signs must be clearly displayed on the rear of the motorcycle and the letter L must not be hidden.
    • Licence class – A Rider 'R' class licence means you can only ride motorcycles.
    • Speed limit – You must not ride faster than 90 km/h and must observe the speed limit where it is below 90 km/h.
    • Towing – You must not tow a trailer or any other vehicle.
    • Location restrictions – You must not ride in Parramatta Park, Centennial Park or Moore Park when in Sydney.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Foxie. Is that for NSW?

I saw that just a rear L plate is required in QLD but I couldnt find the same confirmation for NSW.
  4. Thanks Lampy. That's confirmation enough for m. Thanks a lot guys.

Now I need to work out how to keep the rear one attached...lost one today on a long ride.
  5. since you mentioned it...

I made a plate holder today.
    out of 0.8 or 1mm galvanised steel I had lying around..
    holes made in plate with soldering iron
    then zip-tied on.

top of L-plate is cut away so licence plate can sit perfectly flat. you could just bend the steel to make space underneath I guess.
    you could use steel, or aluminium, or polycarbonate (easier to cut and drill, and won't shatter like acrylic/Perspex/PMMA can do if rocks flicked up by tyre)

that shit's never coming off accidentally...
    feel free to copy :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks Old Corollas. Nice job.

I might attempt something similar but I'll need a tab of some sort to fix it to the bike. I can share the bolt that attaches the reflector as the anchor point. Cheers
  7. the above stuff attaches via the original holes of the licence plate bracket..
    basically the licence plate goes back on, with the steel plate underneath it, and held together with the original 2 bolts at the top.
  8. For an extra strong version, you could use 1" thick stainless steel plate, and attach the L Plate with eight 1/2" unbrako bolts with nyloc nuts.
    For extra measure, cut a piece of bank security glass to cover the L Plate :wacky:

Or, you could just jam it under the number plate like most people do!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. yeah, but he said he lost one today.. :D

5 minutes easy work for something you use for a year and a half? overkill of course, but right now I WANT people to know I can't ride LOL
  10. I did indeed. I don't need some overzealous cop pulling me up for something that can easily be avoided
  11. I think the best thing to do is carry a spare under your seat, and if it does fly off and you get pulled over, say "sorry I didn't realise, lucky i carry a spare".

There's a good chance you'd be ok.
  12. There is also an equal chance it will cost you $236 and 2 points
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I'm not leaving it to chance...the fine would be painful, but the points would be devastating 3:)
  14. Just make sure it's secure. You'll be ok.
  15. Made my plate holder today from some old filing cabinet shelving following oldcorollas's template/idea (thanks mate)

Looks good, does the job and cost me nothing.
  16. Had I seen that I would have got one but they had nothing locally...looks better than mine lol...I'll take pics tomorrow
  17. great idea to use that, prepainted and good thickness :)

if I had used one of those normal ones, it would have covered or half covered the indicators..
    • Like Like x 1
  18. It may have worked for me but not sure the tab would have been long enough to attach.