Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how many k's too many

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by navmandave, Dec 27, 2011.

1. i couldnt find anything on this topic but im sure its an age old question. im looking to purchase a tourer for a trip im planning next year, something in the vicinity of 750-1100cc. most of the bikes in my price range are over 100,000k's, i asked my dad who does high mileage on his harley and he said its fine. im bit of a skeptic though, i know with cars its a different story.

thoughts?

2. It is an age old question and if you search under engine mileage and variations like longevity your question will be answered it will save you lots of grief if you do :) my bike is 45 Kim's short of 100000 Kim's and STILL goes as strong if not better than when new.

3. Definitely been asked many, many times. I think the easiest, quickest summary is that maintenance is more importance than kms for tourers of that sort of capacity.

My 750 has done 100 000 and is running strong. A mates old beemer had done around 140 000km and was strong when he sold it.

4. and my 600 Hornet has done 164,000 and is still fine, and a mate's ZZR-1100 has done 243,000 and is fine

but, seriously, you can't have done THAT good a search......

5. What is the price range?

6. i found a couple of bikes under $5000 which have 100k+ but with recent feedback i have alot of good bikes to choose from.

7. Soooo...the worn out carbs are sorted then ?????8-[8-[8-[

My take is the same as OP have said, maintinence and upkeep are more important than actual km's to a point.

Every machine has a finite lifespan ie. when its reached the end of it's useful service life.
    Knowing when to stop pouring money into it, is the key to living with older machines.

Being handy with the tools yourself also helps....Having a mechanical sympathy with the bike, knowing its shakes, rattles and noises AND fixing a problem as soon as it crops up, not 5000 km's later when the service is due.

• Like Like x 1
  8. :LOL: Worn-out carbs have been replaced, and I'm suspecting that e10 fuel might have been more to blame than mileage..

I don't think anyone would be asking the main question about a bike with 164,000 kms on the clock but 80,000 might be perfectly OK on a well-serviced machine, 25,000 an 'avoid' if it hasn't been