Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many K's is too much on a Honda600RR?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jerry, Jul 31, 2006.

1. How many K's is too much on a Honda600RR?
    Its always a risk, buying a second hand bike, I'm on my 3rd bike now, and I have to say, they have all been good, but all had much less K's when I bought them.

I have the chance to get this bike with a trade in for my bike, but I'm concerned about the kilometers of the RR. It has ~30 thou, and is an 04 model. I havent test riden it yet, but I have been told it has been maintained and is in great nick.

I know there are many other RR for sale which have less K's, and understand that this question might sound broad since kilometers dont always tell the full bikes history, but I'm wondering, is this the sort of bike which would be prone to expensive engine problems at 30 thou K's due to the high reving nature, or is this OK???
    How could you tell, if the bike had been reved to red line all its life?

Any advice from RR owners would be great, especially regarding any inherant problems / part changes, or things to look out for when I test ride it.

2. Around 150,000 would be getting pretty long in the tooth. By around 250,000 the engine is probably close to totally knackered.

By 80000kms is usually when most >600cc could do with a good rebuild to keep them ticking on song for another 40-80,000kms.

In short, 80,000kms is not too much, provided you get the engine rebuilt (pulled apart, everything inspected for tolerances, and so on). Even 150,000kms is not too much, if the engine has been well maintained and the price is right.

Generally speaking, it'll be the suspension components which could do with a good rebuild/refresh long before you have to worry about the engine.
  3. There shouldn't be any problems with it after that many k's providing it has been properly serviced.

My last 2 bikes have done heaps more than that, a 97 YZF600 did 110,000k's and I only just started to have problems with it slipping out of 2nd gear. My current 2002 ZX6R has done 63000k's and never skipped a beat.

4. Thanks guys.

5. Mine has 4000 on the clock and I was thinking of selling it because I thought that was too much.
  6. 4000kms is nothing. The engine hasn't even been fully run in yet, which will usually happen at sometime between 10000-20000kms, by which time most people who watch their fuel economy will start to notice that most bikes will actually gain a little bit of efficiency, and perhaps even a smidgen of power too, as the mechanicals fully loosen up and bed in.

From 20000kms onwards, so long as the engine is regularly serviced and properly maintained, and any concerning noises are diagnosed and attended to promptly, most modern bike engines will happily reach 200,000kms without too much drama. There's more than a few bikes about with 500,000kms on their engines, and still going strong.

If you sell a bike at 4000kms, all you're doing is bearing the full brunt of the new-sale depreciation costs, while the person who buys the bike off you will be getting a total bargain, and will enjoy possibly hundreds of thousands of kms of use out of the bike without having to front the new-bike price-tag for it.

In short, people who sell bikes with <20000kms on them are the sorts of sellers that savvy 2nd-hand bike buyers absolutely love.
  7. My point is, that too many K's is more of an ISSUE to the person buying the bike than the engines life.
    I really depends if you are ok with looking at a clock which says 4000 or 40,000.
    A bike with 200,000 could be in better condition mechanicaly than one with 20,000. You have to look at each bike as an individual and asses what it's worth occoringly.
    My 'bargain' bike will be up for sale in October, when it's safe to open the garage door and not get the bike wet. It'll still have 4K on the clocks because I don't like the number 5. :)
  8. My fireblade's engine was sit loosening up at 45000km.......4000km the engine still has plenty of legs in it. Your either crazy for extremely rich to get rid of it from that sole reason.
  9. I guess it would still be worth roughly what I paid for it so I wont really need any extra money.
    I might get a dirt squirter and cheaper road bike instead.
    2 bikes instead of one, I must be crazy because I'm definitely not rich.
  10. Hi folks this is not the place to do an intro so I will do it elsewhere but heres me 1st post.

Most modern engines that have been well seviced and looked after should reach 200 K without major work, bloody well hope so as my recently purchased VFR has done 65 K. It has looked after mechanically and cosmetically by an enthusiast .
  11. You can't. If the bike's been given fresh oil and filters regularly, the gearbox will start to develop problems long before the engine does.

Bikes are designed to safely operate up to the redline, but neglect in changing the oil will somewhat lessen it's lifespan.

There is a difference between riding the bike damn hard and thrashing it, a little mechanical sympathy will ensure the engine lasts a long time, while still enjoying all it can give.
  12. Cheers Cammo, good advise from all, thanks. :)
    So the first thing to look for is service history and gear noise/ problems.

13. If bikes last so long then why do the k's roll over when you hit 100,000 ?

It a real pain when you are looking to buy an older bike !
  14. You should buy a second hand bike that has 6,000k on the clock, then you wont have to sell it until you get close to 49,000k :LOL: :)
  15. oh... maybe you don't like 15 either :p
  16. i actually was thinkin the same question?

as im looking at a bike with 41k on the clock but has been looked after (aside from a bit of scratching from a previous downage) would 41k be ok the guy only wants $4600?
  17. Usually you try to find the bike with least amount of k's. But depends on how its been ridden for most of its life. But like someone said earlier, suspension, gearbox, chain, sprockets there are a lot of parts that wear out on a motorcycle.
  18. I like your thinking :grin: