Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many ks is too many ks?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Bugjuice88, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Im looking at a vtr 1000 firestorm. How many ks before I should start getting worried?

2. Highway vs commuting, how many track days. Servicing.

I have seen a few with 100000km.

3. G'day Bug's, A few months ago I bought my 06' vtr1000f with 57000k's on the clock, most of which are from touring down to PI for the last 5 years from northern NSW. Since then I've ridden it 2000k's over two days, taken it up to 240kph a couple of times & ran it at the drags to a time off 11.8 @ 116mph & it hasn't skipped a beat. servicing & maintenance is more important than out right k's, The big thing with these bikes is the cam chain tensioner which generally needs replacing at 50k which mine was.

How many K's are we talking & what price are they asking?

4. 70000ks and $5000.

Ive seen other honda models with heaps of ks on them. My mate has a CBR600f with 98000ks. Its had little issues but still rides hard.

5. What year model?

6. The VTR is a 98 Model and the CBR600f is a 95 model i think.

7. The frame and the motor will probably last long enough to get your money's worth out of it. It's things like suspension, brakes, clutch, steering head bearings, chain & sprockets etc. that may be starting to get to the end of their useful life.

It depends on what amount of spending you think is reasonable to keep it in good working order.

Get a service history and look for these things, and/or a checkover by a mechanic.

8. For a 98 model it would have to be in good nick to be worth that much. post 2001 they made some subtle but great improvements such as extra 3 litre's fuel capacity, revised dash with digital, clock, fuel gauge & temp. Improvements to front suspension internals, work on carbs for smoother fuelling, metal front brake & clutch fluid reservoirs & many other things I'm sure I forgot.

I paid $6000 for my 2006 with yoshi rs-3 pipes, I'm not saying the one your looking at is bad but for that money it's a bit steep.

9. ok ill shop around a bit more.

Cheers guys.

10. I reckon Kale's right. You could probably bargain that down a bit. But at the end, you might be better off spending a little more for a later model. There's a 2004 model with under 20,000 kms on Bikesales for roughly the same price (but in Mildura). Might be worth ringing and than doing the trip on a bus/car/plane an buy there.

11. I reckon the bigger the engine the less work it has to do to keep at 100km/hr. Therefore I wouldnt buy a 250 with a lot of k's on it, but a 1000cc+ it wouldnt matter so much. As it has been mentioned, highway km are a lot less taxing on a motor than commuting. This is especially the case when it comes to short distance commuting. No sooner has the engine warmed up than it is turned off again.

I would also take into account the overall condition of the bike. I would be more inclined to buy a bike that has a full service history in spite of the km on it.

I would rather have a bike that has been used regularly than one that sits around and only gets 2000km a year put on it

In the end though bloke, its your choice, its your money. Buying a bike with high km on it doesnt necessarily mean your buying a turd

my 2c

OZ
    (SRW)

12. I put 48,000kms on my 95 CBR600 and it went through 3 cam chain tensioners . The last one was a fireblade cam tensioner so the bike shop said and that one still bit the dust.