Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many km's on a CBR600RR is too much?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by I am the Stig..., Jul 6, 2009.

1. Bit of an open ended question, but thought I'd pass it by the netrider oracle anyway. Just how many km's are too much on a 2005 CBR600RR?? Given a decent past, regular riding, is 5,000kms/yr something to accept or something to steer clear of? Are they like a good VW and mileage doesn't matter, or fall to pieces (generally speaking) or need major surgery/tlc after, say, 50,000kms.

(Stig needs to finally get himself on that mechanics course...) :oops:

2. I haven't owned one. However my slightly older cbr seems pretty bulletproof and it has more kms than that. You're pretty safe with modern hondas.

With 50k kms you should be able to get a very good price on it (because in boyracerworld 50k kms is 'very high mileage'). ~$5.5-6.5k for the earlier ones, maybe less - depends on condition.

3. I am not following. What is the issue with it being 5,000km a year? Too little?

4. 5000kms???.......pfff its a baby the most important thing is services if thats up to date then go for it! :cool:

5. 5000kms???.......pfff its a baby the most important thing is services if thats up to date then go for it! :cool:

6. 5000 km / year seems like it a weekend toy more then anything.
    As mentioned above what's most important is the service history.
    High km's with good service history is better then lower km's with no / bad history

7. I wouldnt buy one with 200,000km on it.

Other than that, it's just a matter of price.

8. Can't tell you about RRs but I have seen half a dozen 600Fs with well over 200,000 on them and still running strong.

10. Just remember that oil gets shitty after around 6 months. I'd be checking to see if any 2005 bike had 8 oil changes or close to it, regardless of the kms. I bet most low kms 2005 bikes haven't done that many changes.

11. Que?