Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many KMs is to many for a used 4 banger 250?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Dobz, Aug 23, 2008.

1. I'm looking at used FZR's and ZXR's and was wondering how many KM's is to many on the clock for a used 250's

Should i be worried with something pushing 45000?

2. Kinda like how long is a piece of string. A well maintained in-line four should last quite a while as opposed to a low km unit that has been thrashed & neglected. Apart from proof of regular maintenance, a compression test & visual/audible check for oil leaks, blow-by, rattles, knocks are about the best you can do to establish the condition of the engine.
    I've seen engines in need of rebuild below 40k, then some that are still sweet at 60k. Not sure what the average expected lifespan would be. ?
  3. You should get over 100,000k's out of one of those engines assuming its been serviced regularly. On the other hand if its been used and abused it could kark it a lot sooner.

Best thing to do is get a mechanic, or someone knowledgeable in motorcycle mechanics to check out any bike you are thinking of buying.
  4. I've heard of people getting up to 120,000km out of 250 cibbys. Not sure about zxr's or fzr's.

A lot of learners won't change the oil often enough (every 6000km is recommended by honda *i think*). If it goes tar like, it isn't lubricating. If its driven under those circumstances, it'll wear a lot faster. No real way to tell, except by checking the oil. Having said that, any seller will do an oil change before selling.

I suspect thrashing won't make much of a difference. It cruises at 9000-10000 on the highway. Thrashing it to the redline isn't such a big difference.

45,000 is probably fine. Although if it has 60,000 by the time you sell it, you might not sell it for much.
  5. they blow up when they want to, not at a magic number.
  6. What he^ said. Four banger twofiddys are pretty highly strung though, and are typiclaly operated by young novices who give no fark for mechanical empathy.
    I wouldn't buy a used one full stop, but that's just me. It's kind of like buying a turbocharged Nissan/Toyota, you just KNOW it's been screwed hard and repeatedly..........

Regards, Andrew.
  7. Gday

As mentioned one of the biggest issues is they are a small motor which are expected to work hard, and quite often being a newcomers bike they can be neglected, through lack of experience.

The other big issue is purely age- all sorts of things go wrong just from sitting around for around 20 years.

I have known FZR's to be either top, reliable bikes (very temperamental carbs) or absolute buckets of shit. I have only known one ZX2R which was ridden very very hard by a big bloke, who did not take care of it at all, yet caused no trouble for him, exceptit was hard to start when it was warm just before he got rid of it.

I am contemplating buying one of the same as well (FZR250- had fizzers before so I know them quite well) but would only buy one very cheap, say up to $1500, maybe push $2000 if I knew the owner and servicing, for something in good nic, because I know I would easily spend a grand straight away before riding it, getting it back up to scratch. And that is without any major repairs.

Just incase you do get one of these imports, parts are a little hard to come by, but the best bloke I have found is southern cross motorsports, Victoria. Last time I looked, he stocked just about anything you could think of, mostly OEM parts for reasonable prices.

Best advie I can give you- do not be in a rush to get it on the road, and dont rely on it as a dayly rider, at least untill you have been through everything twice (or have a very good, trustworthy mechanic). Do that, along with regular servicing, and you will have a bike which serves you well even at high mileage.
  8. I agree on both those points. Mechanic warned me about the carbs on the cibbys. Smallest main jets he'd ever seen he reckoned, and thus they were very sensitive to dirt/particulate matter in the fuel.

As soon as I got mine, it fouled it's spark plugs. Been sitting around for too long. A service later and its running great.

Basically these bikes behave like a carburetored car from the 80's. Gotta start them cautiously with choke and not too much throttle, they may chew plugs and they are sensitive to fuel.
  9. Having just bought one (zxr250), I"m interested in what you mean by the fuel - do you recommend using higher octane fuels, or are their particular brands you'd stay away from?

Sorry it's a bit off topic and noobish.
  10. From my experience I would say- dont run it with old fuel (say its been sitting around for a year before you bought it) change fuel filters regularly, and use decent fuel- in my area I would say BP (had good luck with BP ultimate- but some say dont go above the reccommended octane rating) and stay away from ethanol.

You can run a few tanks of fuel additive through, particularly when you first get it, but change fuel filters soon after.

A common problem with the FZR's at least is when fuelling issues arise, typically the bowls are full of crud
  11. No real point in using higher octane fuels. These bikes were out before high octane stuff was widely available. Just makes it harder to ignite and easier to foul plugs. Although it may be 'cleaner' fuel.

I just run normal unleaded. Mechanic told me to use big brand, popular petrol stations as he reckoned there was less chance of dirt making its way into the fuel (fuel washes through the tanks/hoses more frequently than a smaller station).

I generally avoid e10 because it apparently eats rubber. Sometimes I don't have a choice, and it runs fine. In fact I've got e10 in there now.