Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many Kms have you gone with a tyre repair kit?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Kolin, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Hey, unfortunately over the last 6 months I have had 3 rear tyres replaced on my ZX6R due to punctures from screws and nails (it turns out my girlfriends front yard at her place was littered with them) - I then woke up to my 4th puncture with another nail in my brand new S20 rear with only 600ks on it. I decided this time to go get a puncure repair kit and picked up the Cargo Twist and Go kit for $65. I havent used one before, but it seems to have worked a treat as the tyre has lost no air at all in the 5 days since I fixed. Now I know that they are only meant to be a temporary fix but was wondering if anyone has used these types of kits before and how far they have travelled on the repaired tyre... Am I at serious risk of it blowing out at some point if I keep riding on it for a while ensuring of course I dont do ridiculous speeds??

2. I've done thousands of kilometres on $10 string-type repairs and have not seen a failure. I could never endorse it, but chances are that the repair will last the lifetime of the tyre. I'm not familiar with the Cargo kit, though.

If you are looking at a puncture repair as a long-term solution, you should dismount the tyre and install a plug-patch from the inside. Or, better yet, have a professional do it. Intyre motorcycles install and internal repair for about $60, and the shop must be what, less than ten minutes away for you?

3. My Cargol kit has done around 16,000km under my seat!:)

Did use it once to (try &) get a fellow rider up & running. he had a puncture due to a stone!
    Cargol couldn't fix it as the hole wasn't round!!
    I've since replaced my kit with a rope style.

4. It can be hit and miss.. As Jack said I've had a plug hold for 2000kms, although that was many moons ago on a 250cc kwaka, whereas I've seen a 675 Daytona spit a plug out in 20kms.. Just depends what kind stress you put on the tyre..

5. Try the green stuff from super cheap. If you get a puncture it seals it up pretty quick. I always remove the nail and then just check the air pressure at the next servo. From memory it seals holes up to 6mm.

I have also used the tyre plier plugs with success. I never removed them.

6. 12,000km and counting on a rope-type repair.

I got 2 punctures within a month on a new tyre. I figure if it gets punctures this frequently it's cheaper to replace the tyre every 3 or 4 punctures than get them repaired as they occur.

7. about 10000-12000kms was 3 in it at the end(string type)

8. Great, still seems to be holding up fine. I'm hoping to get atleast a few thousand out of it!

9. I've ridden 16,000kms on a second had back tyre, Michy PR2, finally fitted a new Michelin and got a screw in at less than 100kms! Fixed on the roadside and then when home I put in a proper mushroom patch, been there ever since. About 5,000 with no drama's!

10. XJR1300 with a Michelin road Pilot 3... String type plug, did over 10,000km with the plug in.
    Checked the plug from the inside when I put a new tyre on... looked stronger than the rest of the tyre.

11. I scored a nail a couple of thousand k's ago in the rear tyre and it's holding up well (with a mushroom plug)... the tread isn't though ;) Switching from the Pirelli's to Metzler M5's very soon and hoping to earn a bit more wear out of 'em.

12. Christ you guys run hard tyres. I can't remember the last time I got more than 6000km out of a tyre.

13. Granted I own a 250cc, but the current set of tyres are roughly on 26000km (~500km/week) daily commute, mostly highway. I dread the day I upgrade and only get half of the kilometers I get now :(

14. Pilot Road 3s are good for grip and hard wearing too! My next sportsbike tyres.

On the Strom got a puncture on Sunday and used string plugs. Good for the 70km so far since. :D

I'd happily ride on this for until the tyre wears out as I'm a cheap bastard but probably wont as I want to upgrade from the stock crappy tyres anyhow.

15. I tried using a Cargo thing once, I would trust it to get me as far as a tyre repair shop, if I had no other options.

Get it repaired properly with a mushroom plug, won't cost much.

16. I have the mushroom type in my rear and it has done approx 10,000 km on it no problems. Also got a puncture in the car Tyre and stuck a mushroom plug in it and not a problem since.

Also top speed done with plug in the tyre approx 240 kph.

• Like Like x 1