Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how many kms for a used bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by chmaiden, Jun 28, 2009.

1. whats the average distance i should be looking at for a used bike - i've seen one thats 4 years old with 33k on the clock - seems quite high to me?

2. That's an average of around 160km a week. Nothing!

How long is a piece of string?

We need details of the bike, young grasshopper. Then you may feast from the grand bay marie of knowledge that is the Netrider forum.
  3. What is much more important the the Kms that the bike has done is a good service history.

If the bike is well maintained that it will run for ages.
    It can be better to buy a bike that has 30k kms with good history compared to one that has 17k kms and no history and treated like crap.
  4. ah yes - the string answer!!! stupid question really - will need to get more details tomoorrw - but when you put it at 160 a week sound nothing really!
  5. I don't know much about anything about bikes yet, but when I asked a friend who has ridden for many years that question he gave me the following answer.

"50,000 km is about end of life for a cheaper bike, because this is usually when the front discs start to go and it costs more to replace the discs than the bike"

Having said that, I know that many people say it depends on the bike, and there are some bike's that just last forever.
  6. If the discs are so worn(as per example above), you should be taking that off the buying price anyway. you should be taking the wear/condition into consideration when pricing what you would pay for a bike.
  7. If that's too high, I think you're looking for a new bike rather than 2nd hand. 8250km per year is nothing much at all. :)

Disks are up to about $300. It'd need to be a bloody cheap bike to make that theory hold up.
  8. Shit I put 10k on my bike in 6 months - though thats what a commuter is for.