Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many KM is too much?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by xXx, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

New here.

I was wondering am in the market to get a 1000cc GSXR or a CBR and what i want to know is as a general rule of thumb what would be the maximum KM that the bike has done that yu would not go over.

I was told by a sales guy at Peter Stevens that dont go over 30K but i have seen bikes that have over 100K on them and rune fine. A friend of mine in Germany has my old K1 GSXR still and hes clocked 94K as says that it still runs like a dream.

2. G'day xXx, and welcome

It's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string?' type question: there are lots of different answers.

Lots of people like to ride relatively low km bikes, and if you can afford it you'll spend less on maintenance and servicing and so on with a newer bike. But you'll spend more on the bike.

Certainly for those larger sportsbikes, they'd be capable of well over 100,000 km if they've been looked after and treated well - but might be stuffed well before that if they've been thrashed and not maintained.

To me it basically comes down to two factors: one is your budget and what you can really afford (without borrowing up to the hilt - that way lies all sorts of hassles) and the other is the balance between the age (year model) of the bike and the distance travelled. Obviously for a particular budget you want the newest bike with the lowest km in the best condition, but there are tradeoffs between age and kms at the same price point, and different people value one higher than the other. It can depend on things like which year the model had a major upgrade, too.

And then there's the individual bike - you have to use the available evidence to make a judgement about how well it's been treated and what kind of condition it's in.

So a complicated answer to a simple question, but I hope it's useful.
  3. I think if bikes were looked after they can reach 100K quite easily. For instance some of the 250's (cbr250) have probably reached 100K or even 200K even these things have been both well looked after and been trashed and still last that long.

If you were to look at the bikes as being old or the Km you wouldnt want to go over, I'd say between 30K to 40K. This is due to their resale value. It'll drop heaps after about 30K or 40K on the clock(depending on the type/model of the bike).

I think that bikes would easily last 100K if it's been looked after. I have seen a GPX with 99K on the clock and still running strong.
  4. If the bike has obviously been well cared for, and has a genuine, documented service history, distance travelled is almost irrelevant.
  5. And these are the bikes to go for if you're on a budget.

When I was selling a ZZR1100 it had around 100k on the clock. People would call up, "how many kays has it done, mate?" they'd ask.

I'd tell 'em.

"Hell, that many, huh?"
    "Oil hafta fink about it."

They'd "think" that it's too much and the bike's stuffed.

One guy thought that it was a 1995 model (it was a 90 model). I said that if it was I wouldn't be asking $2.5k. I'd be asking closer to $6-7k.

Their problem.

They could have gotten a 10 yo 1100cc sports tourer in reasonable nick for around $2,500. But no, they're looking for a bike that has an asking price of around that figure but in near new condition.

They don't find such a bike. So they go out and spend 3-4 times that for a model that is 3 years younger and with perhaps half the kays on it.

Fine. Their money, they can do what they want with it.

My bike eventually sold and I got what I was asking, which was a reasonable price given the bike's age and condition. And as far as I'm aware the bike's still going, 8 years on.

Anyone heard of Guy Allen? He used to edit AMCN and runs Bikepoint. He had a 98 Blackbird, pre-EFI, on the market. It had done 20,000km and was in great nick. And he was asking about $1,500 below the average market price. I called him when I saw the ad. But it had sold. He was saying though, that everytime someone saw the ad and called him they thought that it was a great buy UNTIL they heard that it had 20,000 km on it. All these wankers were expecting a great bargain for a bike with no more than 5,000-10,000 km.

So, I missed out on a bargain. But the sad thing is the guy who bought it wrote it off two weeks later.

Finally, it's very hard to thrash a litre sports bike, or in fact, any bike of that capacity without one of two things happening:
    (1) you write yourself and the bike off or
    (2) you end up walking for two years and have your wallet lightened considerably. Because you won't be doing it for long.

So, use the kays as a bargaining point. Don't dismiss the bike soley based on km travelled.
  6. Yeah, all true, and makes a lot of sense - so with those it's not so much thrashing that needs to be looked out for but poor maintenance. I mean, chains, tyres and brake pads can be replaced, but if oil changes, for example, have been massively neglected, or cheap crappy oil used...
  7. Hey. I'd advise not getting anything over 100,000 kms unless it has an impecible service history, in great condition and at a very good price.
  8. I have to agree. It depends on how the bike's seen the mileage. If its a big touring bike and its been sitting on the highway in top gear on minimal load, it'll see well past 100,000km, probably closer to 250,000km.

But you're looking at buying a sports bike. They won't see the distance because if they spend half their life near the redline. However owners do a fair bit of distance stuff on the litrebikes, so I reckon they should still see well over a 100k.
  9. My 98 R1 had 74k when i bought it at the start of the year, has about 84k on it now an still running strong.

As long as it been taken care of and had the oil changed regularly, ks aint a big deal.
  10. Very true, so I say TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT PRICE DROP!

Why buy a bike with 30,000km, take it to 50,000km and lose all that value when you re-sell? Buy it with 60,000 (as others have said, if it's been well looked after it'll still be pretty much bulletproof) and take it to 80,000ks. You will lose less money (in absolute $ value, not necessarily in % terms) when you go to resell.

You travel the same K's, the bike is (very nearly) just as good, only it costs you less!

Basically I reckon you should let someone else foot the depreciation bill. :grin:

True, but lookout for track day bikes. :shock:
  11. I'd get NOTHING for my bike if I sold it, but it's been religiously serviced, garaged, maintained well, and never done a track day but it's done 125,000 +kms. I know its value, but...
  12. Ahh klms and bikes worth.

Great comments here and yes depends on so many things. Plus as mentioned "the individual bike"

My 1000GTR Kawa has 185k on it and I could sell it in a heartbeat to anyone who knows the bike if I wanted to.

I have 33k on my 15mth old 1400GTR and over 50k in same time period on another owned by KMA.

I still consider both 1400's new.

Dealer guy who said that about a 30k bike needs shootin
  13. Yeah well he was trying to get me to take there GSXR1000 K8 demo.
  14. my gsx750f has 99k on it, going quite strong. run the bike around for a bike on a test ride then ask to smell the oil. if it smells burnt then reject it. look at compression. ask for service history.

i didnt have any history on my bike when i bought it at 90,000. replaced the oil a couple of times in the first 4000 kms and has run great guns since. only real problem has been a busted float needle a couple of weeks ago.

if you are going to buy something with lots of kms. i think you need to be prepared to do alot of serious work on the engine just in case. getting a shop to do that kind of stuff can become economically inviable. changing the cam chain on my bike wasnt essential but i did it, cost me about $400 in parts( had to replace the adjuster at the same time) but would have cost upwards of 1k at a shop.
  15. As everyone says here, as long as the bike is maintained it should last for a long time. I regularly do oil changes and other stuff to help with wear an tear.

My 03 R1 has 80,000k's on it now.. it has done trackdays, spirited weekend riding, commuting and was crashed once coming outta T2 at Philip Island, and it still feels just as quick as it did when I bought it new.

I have only ever replaced a battery and stator (issue with stator's on 02/03 models where the copper wire will eventually burn through and give less charge). Although think i will need a new chain soon (will be on the 3rd chain/sprockets soon)
  16. My K1 GSXR 1000 has 90k on the clock. It to still pulls as strongly as the day I got it. I Bought it at 2k 4 years ago.

Had it dyno'd at 42k and it was putting out 152 BHP at the rear wheel.

Again maintenence is the key to keeping a bike going.

Most of my friends couldn't understand why I didn't trade it in on the K8 I bought 2 months ago. I did ask the dealer and he laughed when I told him the k's.. They would have given me 1-2000 for it. It's worth a lot more than that to me. I did another 1000k's over the weekend, no issues what so ever.

When I took it to NZ I had to get a Warrant Of Fitness (RWC). The mechanic didn't want to give it to me because the bike had 35k on it and he said the engine required a rebuild. WTF???? He then proceeded to check the head stem bearings with a torch, again WTF.. By this stage we knew who we were dealing with and got the bike cleared with some quick talking and a threat or two. :shock: :shock: