Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many KM is too many?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mopster, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I've got a friend with a GS500F sitting in his garage that he is looking to sell towards the end of the year when he upgrades (currently unregistered and not being ridden) which I might consider buying if we can come to an agreement around that time depending on price and overall condition. My only concern is that it has quite a high amount of kilometers (by my standards anyway), and is sitting at around 30,000 on the clock.

Is there a general rule of thumb other than lower is better? I understand that how well the bike is maintained and the style of riding will effect wear and tear on a bike, but at what point would you say "thats too many" and not even bother? Given that I'm currently tossing up between this bike, and a 07+ Hyosung GT650R with much lower kilometers, I'm unsure which way I'll go when the time comes.
  2. 30,000 is barely even run in, now if you said 130,000 it might be an issue. If the servicing has been done regularly it shouldn't be a problem.
  3. I always chuckle when I read these "how many kays..." threads. When I've sold bikes in the past, and we're talking 1000cc and up sports tourers, without fail tyre kickers always chime in that they have too many kays on the clock. And they'll either not buy (their choice) or they'll try and use that as a bargaining tool.

Thing is, we were usually talking around 50k to 80k but the most was a 10yo ZZR1100 which had about 100,000km on it. And I was already asking about 3 grand less than average book value.

When I was in the market for a Blackbird, Guy Allen, former AMCN editor (Bikepoint editor now) was selling his. I called him up. Unfortunately the bike had sold.

He was saying that everyone who inspected it said that it had too many kays. In fact, it had 19,000 km. The bike was about 3 yo and he was asking a pittance for it.

It's my view that people will try and drive you down to rock bottom prices. But, when they are selling they'll ask near new price for their stuff.

To the OP, 30,000km is bugger all, particularly if it's looked after. If you think that "by your standards" it is, then go and see a dealer and buy a new one.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tough choice, Suzuki or Hyosung...
  5. On my Ducati the engine really didn't loosen up and start to perform at its best until it had done 30,000 Km. So yeah, it wasn't fully run in until then.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Even I'm getting tired of answering this question. The fact is, if a bike has done 100,000 and been properly serviced, it's probably fine. If it's done 19,000 and been neglected, move on......
  7. Thanks for the input, but I did use the search bar before posting what else could I do? Next time I have a question I'll keep it to myself lest its been asked before eh?
  8. #8 hornet, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I can't win. 100 times out of 101 I line up like a good little Netrider and answer this question, then the one time I comment someone sooks
  9. More sooks on this site these days than ever
  10. The real answer to this question, "How many KM is too many", has been provided time and time again. "How long is a piece of string". It depends on a whole RANGE of factors, how highly strung the engine is, the build quality of the motorcycle, how the bike is used, how it is looked after, how much load is put on the engine and how often, etc, etc. Please consider using the search function before next time you start a thread.

For a GS500 with a rider of average weight with general commuting/non-aggressive weekend riding (ie regular normal paced riding), the occasional squirt to make sure the motor sees the top of its rev range (not really all that important as long as it saw it when it was run in), regular oil/filter changes, regular air filter cleaning, valve clearance adjustments by the book and fuel not sitting in the carburettor for too long, 30,000 kays is fark all.

If the price is right, he's got service history or you know the history of the bike, the bloke has a good head on his shoulders, you take it for a test ride and you are comfortable/like the feel of how it rides, then do buy it. GS500's have a good reputation for being a good all-round rock-solid-reliability road bike which with proper maintenance should go around the odometer at least once. It is the toyota corolla of the motorcycle world, a bit like the DR650 is the toyota hilux of the motorcycle world. You won't regret the purchase if it meets the above criteria.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. For whatever reason I did come across as highly strung with my response hornet, sorry. I'm not sure why but on first reading I took offense to your post and I don't really know why.. was probably somewhat peeved that I actually made the effort to search before I actually posted (I usually try to do this) and still managed to ask something thats come up again and again.

Moving on..

I'm not mechanical what so ever, but someone once told me (and I'm not sure how accurate this is), that on a smaller motor higher km counts for more because the engine has hard to work harder to get there compared to a larger engine. Thats what got me wondering about something like a 500cc engine and kilometers. It might be a bit silly, but I haven't ridden in years and want to make sure that when I do buy my next bike I make the best possible decision and don't get stuck with a lemon.
  12. Put it this way...
    There are plenty of used, abused and neglected CBR250RR's out there. They are a 4 cylinder 250, so 62.5cc's per cylinder, almost as little as a 50cc scooter. Those things rev out to 20,000RPM before they hit the inbuilt rev limiter, and heaps of them have been around the clock at least once.

It's not just the size of the engine that influences how hard the engine has worked compared to a bigger engine, it's the amount of power it puts out versus its CC's. The GS500 is 487cc so 243.5 CC's per cylinder, a pretty healthy amount, most 1000CC bikes are around this CC per cylinder. And the GS500 isn't exactly the most powerful bike out there (hence why it is on the LAMS list), so the engine doesn't have to work very hard to achieve its nominal power output. When Suzuki designed the engine in the GS500, same as when they designed the engine in the DR650, they made certain things certain ways to make it so the GS500 wouldn't put out too much power (they also made things certain ways to pass emissions, you can change some of these for not too much money and a bee's dick of difference to engine stress for more power and smoother delivery but best not to stuff with it). This causes the internal parts in the engine to be under a lot less stress than their race-bike counterparts, it also allows them to be of a cheaper quality without compromising on reliability hence the price point of the GS500, they did these things on purpose to make the bike a rock-solid work horse and make it affordable to buy.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks Kernal, that was well put and I actually understood it!