Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many is heaps?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by _joel_, Sep 22, 2008.

1. OK.
    An acquaintance of mine insists that "several" must be equal to 7.
    He also insists that "few" is equal to 3.

The dictionary defines several as being:
    So from that, we can deduce that "Many" is equal to ten, as per the theory that several is 7, several being fewer (remember a few is 3) than "Many", that "Many" is 10.

A couple is 2
    A few is 3
    Several is 7
    Many is 10

Can anyone provide any reasonable argument to the contrary?
    I am also interested as to how many "Heaps", and "Lots" is.
    Surely we can come to a rational decision.
  2. hmmm, can't really give a numerical value, but I've always considered "heaps" to be surplus to one's requirements/needs.
    And how many is oodles??

It's hard to say really, cos it depends on what your talking about.
    If we are talking about, for instance, lets use the number 100....
    if I had 100 bikes, I'd say that was oodles, but if I said I had $100 that would not be oodles, it would be some.

LOL, I need more coffee, it's too early, or is that heaps early :wink:
  3. The Ork race in Warhammer 40,000 describes "Many" as any number greater than 5.

That doesn't contradict your evaluation, but it's something to consider. *nod* :)
  4. There is a reason why we have both precise numbers and these other imprecise words, and trying to translate one to the other in a 1:1 correspondence kind of misses the point. If I want to say '3', I'll say '3'. If I want to say 'a few' - which could be anything from 3 to 8 or so, depending on context, but the point is that I don't wish to specify - then I'll say 'a few'.
  5. I go with;
    Couple = 2
    Few = 3+

but if i had to define the rest it'd be
    Several = 5+
    Many = 10+
    Heaps = 20+

Not that i'd really go with these limits, all theoretical... :)
  6. Hrrrm, what about 'a fair few' and 'a stack'.

For me :-
    a few = 4
    several = 7

But many and heaps need to be defined within a context.

There were so many Ducati's parked at the local Starbucks - might mean ~20

After the ride there were so many bugs stuck to my bike - might mean >100

Swap so many and heaps in the above two examples.
  7. What number equals shitloads?

My Mrs says 0 is enough :? :eek:
  8. And how many in a metric assload?
  9. I'd say:
    a few = 3
    several = 5>7

Ya bet me to it Chris :p
  10. A bajillion, with a 10% tolerance for error.
  11. a couple = 2
    a few = 3
    several = more than 3
    many = more than several

Reasonable argument to the contrary?

"It's english. We've been using it in context for hundreds of years. Pick up a farking book or something you muppet, several has never automatically assumed to be exactly 7 by anyone other than people with poor reading skills who see the first 4 letters of the word and make an assumption in the interests of saving time."
  12. fcuking buckets loads = 1025,73426.00 :LOL:
  13. :rofl:
    that's exactly what I was looking for!
  14. Exactly. It's all about context.

A couple is, by definition, two. Any of the other words cited are variable by context.

English - be thankful it's your first language, cos it's a bastard to learn.

15. Are we talking kids or beers? Kids 4=heaps, beers first we must clarify are we talking in one sitting or for a longer period of time? (With kids time frame is irrelevant 4 is always heaps) One sitting 20-30 is heaps any more is sh!t loads, any less may result in a sulk. Over say a week you would need 200 or more to constitute heaps. I hope this helps.
  16. was not! :eek:
  17. I mean, to learn properly.

18. The only things with empirical values is numbers.

Anything else is just words. You want the meaning? - ask the person using them.

Even 'couple' could mean anything....
    Who has said "I'm off to the pub, I'll only have a couple of beers...."
    or "Can I borrow a couple of dollars?"
    Or heard "Come down the station, I want to ask you a couple of questions....."

I can bet the number 2 was a long way from the speakers mind at the time!

I can think of sh&tloads of examples. (Meaning: Actually I can only think of 3 but that doesn't matter) :roll:
  19. several never did, and still doesn't, refer to some number of things. it just means separate and distinct.
  20. Coming down in sizes - what's the accepted measurement for a "poofteenth"??