Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How many Gardeners among us?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Brian26146, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Are there any avid gardeners among us?

What do you grow?

Your favourite plants?

Tips & tricks.

I am growing:
    Strawberries (picking, 1 litre of jam made)
    Snow peas (3rd lot picking, 4th lot flowering)
    Burpless cucumbers (picking)
    Chillis (Still growing)
    Raspberries (finished now)
    Tomatoes, 3 varieties (flowering and forming)
    Beans (flowering)
    Apple cucumbers (flowering)
    Radishes (2nd lot picking)
    Self sown potatoe (1)

Mint, 2 varieties
    Parsley

2. I thought you'd mis-spelt Wayne's surname for a minute there, Brian :LOL:

My gardening is limited to eating the results......

3. Hi Brian

I was thinking about growing some parsley in a pot. Does it tend to grow quite wildly, like strawberries? Or is it a fairly contained plant?

(Nothing like a motorcycle forum to pick up hints and tips for gardening! :cool: )

Sarah

4. Currently studying Horticulture. Hoping to get into Burnley this year. :twisted:

5. I have to ask: What are "Burpless cucumbers"?

6. I'd love to have a great looking garden but I'm the worlds best plant murderer!

If only I knew their names I could reel off a list of victims..

7. Funny that! I seem to have a similar problem. I think it's something to do with how plants need regular watering and I keep forgetting... :roll:

8. Yeah, if I spent no time at all on this forum, I'd have time to water..:)

9. It can escape a bit but can be contained easily. Grows well in pots etc.

I prefer the curly leaf var. I had it growing wild for years and trimmed it with a mower. Now I grow it in one of those recycle bin thingies the council hands out. When it gets root bound, I tear it all out and put back one or two small sprigs. It all grows again. Perfect for a small garden or pation. Nice smell and good to eat.

Slow release fert is good. (Er I use horsey poos because I have a horse)

They say chewing it get rid of garlic breath.

10. They are the long ones, about 300 to 400mm long, you see in the s'market, usually wrapped in plastic and expensive. About 25 to 30 mm thick. You don't skin them. Very tasty.
    The reason they are called burpless is they have a lower acid level and therefore don't encourage the belch you get from eating cucumber.

The apple cucumbers are so called beacuse of thier shape and size. Usually an off white colout, large seeds in them.

11. Yeah we all know about you country gadeners and your growing of "tomatoes". :p :LOL:

12. I don't mind a bit of time in the garden.

ATM I have some Broccoli, Cucumber, and various lettuces in.

Also have coriander, parsley, tarragon, thyme, oregano, chives and rosemary growing.

They're the edibles at least ;)

13.  Top
  14. Great stuff.

I also have rosemary growing. Use it a lot when bbq-ing as a brush for oil or anything like that. Forgot I have chives growing wild. Ripped them out last year and threw them in a corner. Been snipping the tops for about 2 weeks now.

Had others growing but I think the cat got to em.

Looooove lettuce but we have so many white butterflies, they are not worth growing. Same with cabbage.

15. I grow herbs mostly.

I have parsley, sage, vietnamese mint, normal mint, onion chives, corriander, rosemary, origano, thyme.
    Also trying out cherry tomatoes and chillies.

I would be very interested in knowing if there is somewhere in Vic that I can pick my own (or buy in bulk) jalepenos.

16. I am the family custodian of cymbidiums.

17. What are jalepenos?

Edit: I found out what they are. Don't know where you would get them. Try asking a market gardner, or a fruit place where they get them. Don't tell them why though. Q. Would they go well pickled?

Sounds like a real neat garden.

With the mint, what do you use it for?

I use it for making mint jelly. In cooking some stirfrys. But the best is, I dry the leaves when the sun is hot and then crush them. I then make straight mint tea or mix it with ordinary tea. Really good stuff.

I also have some peppermint. Little round leaves. Smells fantastic.

18. Thanks for the advice Brian! Should I grow from seeds or buy an existing plant? I went to a nursery last weekend but the only parsley plants they had were a bit folorn. In fact, when I think about it, all their plants were a bit that way...

19. MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

You chew horsey poo???????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Seriously, you people from Gippsland are wierd, did you know that?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

20. Don't worry too much about how they look. Very hardy. Bit of water will wake them up.

But growing from seed is nicer I reckon. Either way.

Also try Italian parsley. Flatter leaf.