Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How M-GLS stabbed motorcycling in the face

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Exsanguinator, Mar 22, 2016.

1. I attempted the new M-GLS learner's course... and I think I would have been satisfied with it except that I got nervous during my off road test and made too many dumb errors to pass. I was even feeling pretty confident and relaxed during the practice just before, operating everything just as I should, despite having only been on a bike for the first time in my life the day before. My two wheeled experience was limited to cycling.
    It's not so much that I think that the test is unfair, it's that the cost of failure is just so damn high. If we accept that for someone to fail a test on something they have only very recently learned is normal, then we have to accept that for someone to get only their learner's permit paying close to or over a thousand dollars is also normal. And that's only assuming they fail it once.
    I fully intended to repeat day 2 of the course after failing the test but now I'm reconsidering. I wasn't worried or stressed during the first attempt but now I am just from thinking about it, basically ruining my chances. So yeah I guess I can pretty much operate a bike and the knowledge is useless to me. You can talk about how great the new course is and how awful the death toll is but at least those guys were allowed to ride a bike. I'm not. I can't even practise in my quiet suburb without getting my defacto 1000+ dollar permit. There is no other way, other than rapidly attempting to master and perform the circus routine again at some point when I happen to not be freaked out by the thought of it. It's like having to sit a test you're not allowed to study for.
    Anyway my friend has offered to take me dirt biking so I might just try to make that a thing and try again in a year or so. Sorry for wandering into your forum and posting a negative thread without lurking or picking up your culture and stuff. My family doesn't understand why I care about this and I didn't want to biatch to my instructors who were excellent.

2. sometimes the nerves just get the better of us and one little mistake just rolls into the next.
    Dirt biking could be a great way to get the feel and control of a bike.
    Also if you have space at home you could always practice their.
    Best of luck for round two
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. I failed the test the first time as well. I was doing ok during the learning part, but when test mode started and nerves kicked in I just kept messing up.
    I was put off a bit after this for about 6 months. I still wanted the license, but really wanted to feel confident before going in so I didn't just waste money.

I ended up doing a complete dodgy. Bought the bike, practiced up and down the drive way (slow riding) and around the private court my mother in law lives in.
    Signed up for a 2 day HART learner course after that, and it was just fun. Went from my bike (660) to a little 125, felt like riding a little girls push bike. Test nerves still kicked in, but practice made them less effective.

That's not to say you should do what I did, illegal and you're screwed if you kill the bike somehow, more just highlighting that practice can make the nerves not matter as much.
    Dirt bike riding should help a lot. If you have the money for it, there's also "pre-learner" courses and one on one courses offered by most places. You could do a couple of those.
  4. #4 Fr33dm, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    I went through the same experience. Never learnt to cycle as a kid, had to do it in my 40s to be able to ride a motorbike. Never rode a bike before I went to my first 2 days L course. So it was no surprise when I was sent home within 3 hours after dropping poor CB125 6 times. The instructor was very helpful and told me to cycle more (my balance was awful), try and ride a dirt bike as much as I can, have a few private lessons with them and then do the test again.

So I did exactly as I was told, as giving up wasn't an option. I wanted to ride and I already had a brand new CBR500RA in my garage that I bought a week before my first attempt. I cycled daily practicing the routine of a learner's test, I moved my bike back and forth in my garage getting used to managing 194kg weight and finding the biting point of the clutch, my friend offered me to practice on her son's little DRZ125 in her paddock, and I took 3 one to one lessons with Stay Upright. 10 weeks later I repeated the test and passed just fine.

I was prepared to part with another fee for my second attempt. But the Stay Upright didn't charge me as apparently my instructor terminated my test early and didn't officially fail me. I did pay extra for private lessons which together came to another test fee anyway, but I was fortunate to be in a position to pay, after all getting the licence was my absolute priority at the time.

Don't give up, it does feel very disappointing and disheartening at the moment. But if you truly want to ride a motorbike, take your time, save up, and do practice riding a dirt bike. I found it invaluable experience and believe that it made my passing the test second time possible. Nerves will always be against you, and it is very hard to manage "performance anxiety". But practical riding experience riding something heavier than a bicycle will be a great help.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. You should give and get feedback from your instructors. Both on your abilities, and your concerns with system.

But at the end of the day, if you are not considered safe to ride by yourself on the road, they won't pass you. That's kinda the whole point.
    Not everyone will be safe the day after they first straddle a bike but that's reality....
  6. I understand that younger people struggle to get the cash together (some of them, anyway). I have to say though, that I don't think that the charge is excessive overall, but you ought to get a lot more bike time for it, even if the bloody govt has to kick in more.
    Dirt bike riding is definitely the go. Getting that throttle/clutch control is key and only saddle time will do it. Plus it's fun.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. If you made significant errors off-road then the on-road component may have been dangerous for you.
    Making mistakes on the road can be deadly. Be thankful you were stopped.
    As Fr33dm describes ... extra tuition may pay off in the longer term.

I a not sure where you were trained but $1000 for the 2 dayer seems a bit steep.

BTW interesting choice of forum nic ... best not make it a prophesy ;-)
  8. I'm not sure how much it costs these days in NSW, but I'm pretty sure it's not $1000. Anyway, to the point of the post. Sadly if you fail the test then it matters not a jot how you did in the practice. The only thing I would suggest, and I'm going to use old terminology here, is that you check the course objectives in particular the terminal objectives and make sure you were given the correct training through the enabling objectives. I did this when the instructor tried to fail me on my L's course on something that, A he hadn't taught us and B wasn't actually part of the test.

Just a quick understanding question here - do they put learners who haven't completed their training and testing on the road in Victoria now?
  9. Wow that seems very steep. In NSW the 2 day pre-learner course is $88, and if you are deemed not safe you get free one on one training. It must be said though that the courses through HART here in Sydney are heavily subsidised by the government.
  10. Has anyone done the new license course? Is it the same as the off road learner + practical on road assessment? Any detailed experiences would help. Having said that, when riding where there are tram tracks, are you supposed to be riding on the left side of the tracks? Because even then, there are lots of cracked roads and dried up oil slicks?
  11. #11 Fractalz, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
    Different system to Victoria which is more like Qld ... in NSW all licence courses are subsidised. People in NSW book and pay via the RMS. All the courses have the exact same content as it is RMS controlled.

They do the road ride on day 2. They have to achieve a certain competency to do the road ride component. It's up to the instructor to stop someone if they are obviously not yet competent.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Thanks for sharing your experiences, they are encouraging. I feel kind of silly for being so melodramatic. It was something that I wanted to do for a couple years and maybe I was naive to think I could just jump into it.

My parents are moving to NSW, maybe I can take advantage of that somehow. Even if I can only ride while I'm visiting them or something maybe it will be enough to satisfy me for a while.

If anything it will be the skateboarding that does it
  13. What is your age and road experience?
    Who did you do the course with and what were the $ charges?
    What compentency/ies did you fail?

Drop me a PM if you'd prefer not to say publically.

Vicroads will be interested in feedback.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mate I think everyone knows the nervous feeling. I never rode a bike until saturday gone. My 1hr lesson with an instructor I was nervous and made errors. Next day did a 60km ride with a family member who allowed me to lead. After just 15mins I felt as if I had been riding forever. Part of the quik transition for me is previous exp riding mountain bike trails and 15yrs having driven so I know how to read the traffic etc. Knowing that the person behind was not judging my riding made me relaxed and as such I stuck to my lines, never went wide in corners and picked up on traffic hazards long before they became urgent.

I am worried once I am being judged again, I will get uptight and nervous, however I just keep teling myself to get more exp and just ride the same way I did on the weekend. Block out the fact they are watching and just enjoy being on the bike.

So get some one on one lessons to give you more time on the bike and use those lessons to help fix what you got wrong. Then test day just ride for yourself, don't worry about the people watching. I will say only one other thing and this may be harsh, but don't blame the system or an instructor, at the end of the day unless they truly taught you wrong etc, your in control of the bike. Dust off the fail get some time and try again.
  15. Im very curious about what the 2 day courses actually do now as in what do they go though on the first day to get you prepared for the second and what kind of on road test do they have, I also hope that the good providers are at least offering cheap pre learner courses still to help the new wave.
  16. How about victoads stop using OUR levy monies for their all expenses paid extra long lunches, overseas 'study' swarees and 'vicpol, lets bash motorcyclists parties' and put it towards a fairer and more cost effective learner and licence setup than the current privatized profit driven BS system.
  17. The NSW system subsidises the courses and RSPs have to tender for specific areas to deliver the courses. In Victoria the RSPs will set their own prices but what they deliver is controlled by the gov and they could be in competition with other RSPs... so those that try to overcharge will be subject to market forces and I would suppose course costs will become more homogenised over time. The risk is price wars but that will (I hope) be moderated by good governance of content by the auditors.

Having the levy tied to training could divert funds from black spots ... though one could argue that better training that leads to better roadcraft that will negate black spots so win-win in the long run.
  18. I am not sure if I wish wa did the courses or not. I did a theory and potentially could have just booked my practical exam on the spot, rode, passed and be fully licenced. The total cost for me so long as I don't fail is $97 to do the theory and a practical assessment, then about 4 1hr lessons (less if I keep riding with uncle in law) at $60 a lesson. Pass then away I go. Where as if I get it right, over east you guys pay for a 2day course and if pass your given your l's and chucked on the road. At least in W.A you are getting proper road riding exp before being thrown to the wolves. But I hate the fact my bike sits in a shed as I can't legally ride it without supervision. This weekend will be great for a country run but the person who would supervise me is away.
  19. 'Supervision' is a crock. What are they supposed to do other than call the ambo if you crash?
  20. Pretty much. It is not like a car where there is a small amount of ability to control an issue. On the bike it is just me, myself and I. So it is weird I am not allowed to ride unsupervised. So my bike will sit in the shed until I can get my licence. I took it around the cul de sac today but forgot to pull off the L plate. As I went round the roundabout to head back up my street, I noticed these two guys standing in the middle of their street staring at me with the expression get off the road. I put the bike in the shed incase they decided to see where I lived and dob me in. I was going a whole 25kph and had it not been for the L no one would have known.