Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how low can you go?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by pottsy44, Oct 15, 2007.

1. bike gs500f.. how low can you go? ive been trying to go lower lately, but am unsure of where my limit is?

on a seperate note, would upgrading from a 130 rear to either a 140 or 150 rear help in this regard? also will decent tyres help?

2. You can get at least 70mms, which is way more than most people would need. I know because I did exactly that with my old GS500.

Shaving the seat can give you about 35mms - it's a thick seat - but I wouldn't recommend it. It hurt my cushy end on longer trips (>500ks).

Softening the preload can help you push it down about 5-10mms.

And the motherlode, getting the rear suspension link changed, will give you 40-50mms. If you're doing this, make sure your preload is on the hardest, as otherwise you scrape the centrestand whenever there's a bumpy section.

Also, another grief is the fact that if you lower it that much, the centrestand becomes useless unless you shorten it (get it cut). It's pretty much impossible to put on the centrestand - so you have to oil the chains the slow way (rolling bit by bit).

Hope that helps!

3. The wider the rear tyre, the harder it is to tip in. But i would say in your case having already such a narrow tyre, then a 150 would be ok still. And yes a good quality tyre is going to stick and give you confidence when cornering..
  4. sorry dude i meant in corners :p i should of made myself clear.
  5. :oops:

:p Well in that case, whenever your toes start showing because you've ground your boots down!
  6. i think most bikes will lean further than u can push it, in a sense. ie, your pegs etc will start scraping before u lose grip. this assuming good road, not wet etc...

i think i scraped my first peg today :grin: :grin: :LOL: there was a branch/large twig (lol) in my path as i was turning, so i just pushed in harder :)
  7. The peg feelers are there to tell you that you are close to the limits of your lean (with a bit of a safety buffer), when they touch down. And that sssumes that your wearing good tyres.

It's pretty easy to scrape the pegs if your techinique is'nt correct, so before you go reaching for the limits of your bike, be sure that your riding technique is sorted - At the more aggressive lean angles, there is less room for error.

Also approach these more extreme lean angles with care...It's ok to scrape a peg now and then, but if you go too far and dig something into the road, it will send you flying.

Can't help much with tyre widths, except to say that I would'nt be going too far above the stock tyres...It won't improve your handling or grip, and will make it horrible if you go too wide.
  8. If you're running a 130 rear, I'm guessing the GS500f has a 3.5" rear rim. You could go a 140 on this, but a 150 (which is designed for a 4.25" rim) will certainly leave you with a pinched tyre and no real gain in contact patch.

The only reason you should go to a 150 is if you can't find any really good sticky rubber in 130 or 140 sizes. I'm not familiar with these tyres, so I can't say. A pinched sticky compound can often be better than a correctly sized crappy compound though, you'll just have to adjust to the handling and perhaps drop the triples down the forks to aid with your turn-in. And you'll be stuck with chicken strips even after you've scraped pegs/knees/elbows, if that worries you. :wink:
  9. i've run out of grip on the rear end of mine. I don't think I was leaning that far over... certainly not peg scrap town. I'm a bit suspect of the girly looking 130's on my rear. not sure what type it is but I suspect I could be in the same boat as you pottsy.

what is your rear tyre?

hit up a search on www.gstwin.com forums if you haven't already :)
  10. I took my GS500F to a trackday at Wakefield, and the right-hand footpeg has been ground down a centimetre or two. I had some scary near-highsides, but I think they were from the peg hitting hitting bumps in the track. This was on 3-day old Arrowmaxes.
  11. After reading a few more comments from other blokes with the same bike, it would seem that you probably need to go for higher quality (softer/grippier) tyres.
    Does'nt seem like the tyres you are using are keeping up with your level of riding...
  12. Go to your local bike store and ask what they have available in your rim size and will fit under your mud guard, get a tyre that really lets you lean and offers great grip, in other words get a soft compound.

Can anyone tell me if there is any tyres with more lean angle then the Pilot Powers?
  13. Are you talking about the profile or the compound? :?
  14. Its probably not really worth looking at other tyres really (for me anyway) they would all be roughly getting 45 angles at best.
  15. Get some take off slicks, chuck the bike on a trailer and head to a track if you want lean angle.
  16. front: Pirelli Sport Demon 110
    rear: Michelin M39 130

Are these pretty standard tyres? Can anyone suggest a good 140 rear for the gs500?
  17. From my dealings with sport demons they are pretty good. You might be able to get some pilot powers, im not sure their smallest sizes though.
  18. ok now someone suggest a 100 rear :grin:
  19. I'm running Sport Demons on the front and back, haven't tried the Michelin tyre yet though, maybe when i'm through these ones... They don't make dual compound tyres in the right size for the rear, otherwise i'd be all over em like a rash. :twisted: