Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how long till you got your first bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by halifax, Oct 21, 2005.

1. I got my licence about 2 weeks ago and was watching the market to get an idea of prices etc. now ive realised something you hav to be quick ive rang up about a couple of bikes and they have already sold and now im getting impatient im gonna go to a dealer which has a few nice bikes and hopefully get a bike in the next 2 weeks. Anyway thats the end of my whinge so how long did u wait until you got your bike?

2. still waiting lol. then again i'm buying new.

What kinda bike u trying to find?

3. I'm still waiting too. Still looking, still trying to figure out my budget... So far for me, it's been less than a week :)

4. bought mine, 3 weeks after getting my license, in saying that i spent almost 2 months looking at bike before i bought mine..... but the guy i bought mine of was shocked when i call monday lunch as he had placed it that morning and wasn't execpting any calls until it came out in the paper.... as it was it i had a friend also look at it that night, and a deposit was left pending a the full rwc/repairs at my choice of dealer

5. Tis bike buying season....If you are after something specific, leave your details at a dealer and they may be able to source one for you. Better still, post a wanted add up here..

6. I bought mine a week before I went for my learners..

I'd orgnised to pick up the bike on the first business day after I planned to get my learners. If I missed out (you never know) I'd move the pickup date.

Excitable?? Unable to spell?? Yep.

7. I was lucky, found what appeared to be an ideal bike at a dealer in Horsham just 2 weeks after getting my learners, checked out okay so I bought it (had to wait a VERY long couple of days for the roadworthy to be done and for the bike to be delivered though). Seems rural areas don't have such a rapid turnover of bikes so it's definately worth checking outside of major cities.

8. I bought mine 3 weeks before I got my L's

9. My learners permit was about to run out and I still didn't have a bike, so I got a 3 month extension from Vicroads.

A month before the extension ran out I bought my first bike and then a few weeks later went for my P's.

:LOL:

10. i bought mine the second i had the cash.. actually i put down a deposit and had to scrounge cash for a couple of weeks before i could pick it up :)

11. It took me 31 years to get mine :)

12. Bought my bike approx. 3 weeks after getting my Learners.

13. 3 + 3 Days

Learners on the Thurdsay
    Found it the following Saturday
    Picked it up on the following Tuesday.

14. LOL I picked my bike up after the first day of a two day HART learners couse...

As for buying a bike right now... BUY NOW!! the prices go up and up... at this time you will be paying premum price but at least it will not be a pice o crap that gets sold after christmas...

On that note buy an old cheep bom while you are on your L's...

15. I already had my Ps by the time I got my bike. I got my Ps 3 months after Ls, and then bike 3months after I had Ps. Just took me a while to get the bike money together and find one I could afford/liked. Ended up buying in May or June when prices are suposedly quite reasonable.

But I had already bought gear and was able to occasionaly ride my friends bike so I still got a bit of a fix.

16. I looked for a month before i got my bike and it was torture, there were alot of times where i just felt like paying $6000+ for a dealer bike but ended up waiting and getting a pretty good deal.

17. 'bout a month after. Tried a few bikes first, found the one I liked, bought it. Fairly simple process. ;)

18. yeh i cant afford new and im looking for either a bandit, hornet or zeal

19. Licence Monday

Bike Wednesday

Sold car Saturday

20. Zeal's are going VERY cheap - probably 'cause they are not very comfy to ride (for me anyway).

As I NEVER buy new, I am prepared to be patient and wait for a bargain - I loan mate's bike on a Sunday in the mean time to stop "the itching"!

Got my first bike 2 years before the learners :D - but I have been riding bikes off and on all my life!