Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How long should I warm my Ducati up for

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by RSE, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Hey everyone,

I have a 05 monster 620, I was just wondering how long i should wait before I ride it when it's cold, I waited a good 5 minutes yesterday and then got on and started riding but on the display is showed "LO" and I'm assuming thats the engine temp....

Then as I start riding it will display "60c" or so and work it's way up to the "90s"

What are your thoughts ?

2. If it's fuel injected, less than a minute and take it easy until water gets up to 70+

If it's carburetted, until it will rev with choke off without struggling, then take it easy until water temp gets up to 70+

3. I normally start the bike, admire it for a few seconds then put my helmet & gloves on. By that stage it should be ok to ride, provided your not screaming off. Ride it normally (you would need to to warm the tires anyway) then let it get to full operating temp and do what you will :biker:

4. Time taken for helmet/gloves to be put on is time enough for good oil circulation then take it easy until in 'normal' temp operating range...

5. Thanks guys

6. I'd be careful & wait until your clutch stops rattling, just to be on the safe side.

• Like Like x 6
  7. =D>:LOL:

8. Brilliant...!!! =D>=D>=D>

9. 67 seconds precisely. No more no less, you must be EXACT or it will all go horribly wrong.

10. It will warm up much faster if you redline it through at least the first three gears within 20 seconds of starting it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I did that once...But it ran out of fuel before it stopped rattling.

I let it idle while it put my lid and gloves on, it will still read 'Lo', after a few hundred metres it'll hit 40, then I wait a little longer, say around the 65 mark before I give it any more.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mate go for a ride in the hills. A nice quite ride and look at your temp gauge.
    Look at that, it's telling you its running temp. Probably a good temp to ride it at.
    Start it then put your gear on. Get your riding head on and then it will be at running temp. Should be no more than three minutes for a four stroke.

13. Seriously though, pretty much what others have said.

TBH, you won't damage a modern engine by riding it (sensibly) before it reaches full operating temperature. Once oil has reached the cams (no more than 10 seconds or so), as long as you're gentle, it'll be fine. By "sensible" and "gentle" I mean avoiding high revs, big throttle openings or lugging the engine at low speed in high gears. Dunno about you, but it takes me a couple of streets before I'm fully switched on in the mornings so this is really the sort of riding you probably should be doing after you first set off anyway.

As for my quip about redlining a cold engine, I used to know a bloke who habitually did this. He lunched two engines that I know of in the space of a year and had a history of other suspicious mechanical failures.

14. To true Pat.
    You can always tell from the pitting on the cams how well old mate looked after his bike.
    And if you ride a Honda with spaghetti cams you might want to warm it up or trade it in after a year.

15. I'm not sure if the same applies to bike engines, but I remember being advised by a car mechanic that it's actually better to bring an engine up to temp by driving it (relatively gently) rather than leaving it idling. His justification at the time was that if you just leave it idling, it takes it longer for things to come up to temp, and when an engine is moving, but still cold, is when it's most at risk. This being due to the fact that tolerances around bearings etc are much tighter when things are cold (take this to the extreme - F1 engines can't turn over until they're warmed up). He then started going on about how many taxi's make it to 1million+ km, which he put down largely to the fact that the engines are always kept running/warm.

YMMV.

16. Or never buy one ever again after getting sick of 1500 km oil changes and scored alloy bearing surfaces. Works for me :D.

Not far off, although, with a modern engine with a modern cooling system and EFI, the difference in wear between an idling warm up and a driving warm up would be no more than marginal. Older tech carbed set ups and cooling systems with less effective temperature control are a bit of a different kettle of fish.

17. I'm surprised you got through a whole tank of fuel without an electrical fault... :)

18. Gee, that's original...Take you long to think of that ](*,)

• Like Like x 1
  19. No. Don't take it to heart though, I'll put in more effort next time :)

You're a good sport, I'll buy you a latte if we ever meet.

20. I'm surprised that we got this far without someone suggesting it takes as long to warm up your Ducati, as it does for you to drink your latte?

• Like Like x 2