Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How long does a bike motor usually last?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Nakkas, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Just wondering because I'm about to get into the powerful bike market. I'm tossing up between a 600/1000 and I've noticed a lot of people sell their bikes between 30k-40k.

Now obviously you can't generalise too much because it depends on the service history and riding style of the rider, but there must be some kind of band you can restrict it to.

Ie. Commodore engines generally last about 250k, you'd be suprised if your engine carked it at 150k.

I had someone tell me that for most sportsbikes, 50k is as good as gone and that's the reason people sell before this date.

I'm talking about your jap supersports here, not necesarily ones that have constantly had the crap fanged out of them, but is there a range or tolerance to go by?

2. I have a K4 GSRX 1000 with 55,000ish kms on the clock, 52,000ish when i picked it up, it doesnt even feel run in yet!

It will still pull hard from 2000rpm in top gear, really hard!
  3. Bikes used to be shagged around 40-60K. Hence bikes used to devalue a lot once they got to 30 (nobody wanted to be the owner at 50).

these days bikes are made much better. Oils are better and most bikes are water cooled and most of the ones that aren't are oil/air cooled and/or in a low state of tune.

So they should be good for up to 100k.

That doesn't of course mean the market believes that. So if you want a cheap bike, then get one somewhere in the 30s and hold on to it until it's shagged.

btw the bigger the engine and the lower the state of tune, the longer it will last.
  4. 250 engines are 'good' up to 100k. Bigger engines should be good up to 200 (in my opinion). To get that many kms out of it you need to service it religiously and not always live in highrpmsville.
  5. I bought a ZZR-600 at 93thou kilometers. It currently has 130thou on it and we are planinng
    to ride it to WA later this year. It "lives" at around 6000rpm when touring. A larger capacity motor would run at lower revs..so would have, if serviced properly, probably last to 200thou. Many 1000GTRs do this.
  6. How long is a piece of string?

You cant judge a bike from the miles
    if its never had an oil change or been thrashed, the answer is not long in any cc
    hi compression motors will die faster
    very well maintained and ridden bikes can last well over 100k
    then again the motor or parts within may have been replaced during its life so the answer would be no idea
  7. People are not selling bikes at 30,000 kms because they're knackered; it's an affluent society and they're selling them because they want something newer, or different, or both.

My Hornet 600 just turned over 120,000 kms. It's hardly babied, and regularly serviced, and the motor is showing signs of lasting forever. Wot ibast said......
  8. my bikes sitting on 29984 last time I Looked

Ive heard that highly rev'd bikes die quicker

as mine has a very high red zone, if I ride it well below this range eg keep it below 10k should it last longer?
  9. Pretty sure they're good for 350k
    Mine just hit 300,000 today :shock: it's running fine.

It also depends on the bike.

eg the GS500 is good for about 80k before they need the top end done.

I'm pretty sure big touring bikes go forever too.
  10. Mine has done 80,000 kms and is just about run in.

Service it religiously and ride moderately and the bike will last for well over 200,000 kms before you need to open the engine up.
  11. I have an eleven year old CBR 600, seen a couple of track days but mostly does commuting duties. It's about to tick over 50,000kms - no sign of it dying for another 50,000.
  12. just wind back the clock to an acceptable level of k's when you go to sell it. no one will know :LOL:
  13. Ummm,

Firstly, longevity has very little to do with engine size or how high it revs. You'll find a 1500cc VTwin has very similar piston speeds at 6000rpm as a R1 at 13000rpm.

Secondly, if your engine needs serious work (valves, rings etc) at anything less than 50k then there is something seriously wrong with the design (unlikely) or maintenance (likely). Excluding highly tuned dirt bikes and 2 strokes there is no reason to see a well maintained bike reach 150k+ with no major issues (head, bottom end etc).

My TRX850 has spent a lot of it's life on the race track, been crashed, abused and generally molested at every opportunity and after 80k it still feels baby fresh.
  14. my '96 Kawasaki ninja 6r is at 84k kms, and it still has all the grunt and power.
    Theres not even one moment where i felt the engine is getting old/loosing power.
    The person who owned the bike before me, was a tourer, and am one too.
    So, smooth comfy riding, not much of highrpm buffs, steady accel, and regular maintaining, thats gonna do all the talking for the engine life.
  15. I have a 2000 CBR 600 F4 with 45k km recently dyno'd with 101rwhp, not bad when it originally came out with 110hp at the flywheel.
    People still like to sell their bikes before 40k due to older reliable issues. Now days that figure should be around 100k but it hasn't really caught on.
  16. they tend to last, right up until they blow up.
  17. Piston rings and cylinder walls are not the only area of a bike that wears out.

Not only is engine life related to state of tune, but the nature or wear and stress means the relationship is exponential.

If you need 55kW to get around then a small engine is going to be working a lot harder to get it than a large engine is.

comparing twins to 4s is a corruption of the comparison.
  18. Ahh interesting. I heard the exact opposite from my mate with a ZX6R. He's the one who reckons 50k is pretty much it.

So for people with litre bikes, has anyone got over 150k?

That aside, is there an amount of kays roughly where you'd be pissed if it died at? If your motor carked it at 120k, you'd probably say it's had a good life.

Is engine failure before the 80k mark common on powerful bikes or is it other things that give way? I saw very few 2fiddies that made it to the 60k mark, although the Australian ones might be a bit different.
  19. There are numerous stories of Hondas and BMWs (in particular) doing over 200,000k without major work. I know of a K1000, a CBR600, a CBR1000 and two VFRs that have done so. There's also a VFR in the UK that has done a documented 700,000 (although it did have an engine change at 400,000).

At the other extreme, there was a time not so long ago when Ducati mechanics would tell you a complete rebuild was due at 30,000 (Now it's the third service).
  20. said it before i'll say it again

i know a guy in the UK who's done over 120,000 MILES on his Hornet 600
    and it runs fine.