Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How long does a bike last?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by cam77, Sep 25, 2005.

1. :roll: :roll: I know - a very open ended question with quite a few variables. But can I hear ppls opinions on what constitutes an average 'shelf life' for motorbikes in general? (assuming average maintenance/servicing intervals etc)

Just need to know so when I see an ad for a bike with x kms, I can make a rough guess at where that bike is in it's lifecycle.

Thanks,
    Cam.

2. Too hard :shock:

Perhaps if you decribe what you intend to do with the bike, what price range you had in mind and what age you were thinking, you might get some ideas aboout what you could reasonably expect. :)

3. ok...I will try to clarify - sorry but it is a very general, open-ended question, much like asking "how long is a piece of string"

intended use - beginner road bike mostly for city commuting.

Price range - $2000-$3000. Type of bike - standard learner bike eg GPX250, CB250 etc.

Age - that is kind of what the question relates to - i.e. I am looking for an answer along the lines of "for that type of usage for a run of the mill learner bike (eg a GPX250) I would expect that bike to last X thousand kilometres..."

I am not looking for exact figures. Just ballparks, so in other words, when to look at an ad and say "no that bike is bound to be clapped out"

:) hope that helps

4. Any of those will got for 100,000 kms before anything serious may eventuate.
    So long as they are properly maintained and serviced.

5. And not thrashed... if they are constantly riddent to (and beyond) redline then expect problems inside 60,000kms.

6. my gpx was complianced in 96, had done 58,000km, and was $2500 (6 months rego, no RWC).. my friend who test rode it for me, said if the seller had waited another month, he could have easily sold it for another grand. That gave me the impression it could last a fair bit longer anyway.

7. 20,000 if aforementioned thrashing is accompanied by sentiments like, "Oil change?" (blank look).

8. ?!?
    How's he figure that?

9. In the June 1996 issue of Sport Rider magazine is a report called the "100,000 mile Honda CBR900RR." The owner used conventional Castrol GTX oil, 10W40 in the winter, 20W50 in the summer. He changed it every 4,000 miles, changing the filter every OTHER oil change. No valve clearance adjustments were required after the initial one at 16,000 miles. And a dyno test against the same model with only 6,722 miles showed torque and horsepower virtually identical. The 100,000 mile bike was even used for some racing. In a subsequent follow-up, the same CBR had passed 200,000 miles and was still going strong!

10. In the June 1996 issue of Sport Rider magazine is a report called the "100,000 mile Honda CBR900RR." The owner used conventional Castrol GTX oil, 10W40 in the winter, 20W50 in the summer. He changed it every 4,000 miles, changing the filter every OTHER oil change. No valve clearance adjustments were required after the initial one at 16,000 miles. And a dyno test against the same model with only 6,722 miles showed torque and horsepower virtually identical. The 100,000 mile bike was even used for some racing. In a subsequent follow-up, the same CBR had passed 200,000 miles and was still going strong.

11. A recent issue of Bike magazine featured a bike courier in England who had a VFR 750 Honda which has done 800,000 miles!! (New engine at 400,000 miles)
    Of course the bike was constantly ridden, regularly serviced, etc, but this gives some indication of how robust the modern bike is!

12. I've changed my carby jets for the first time, just shy of 85,000km.
    Black Betty is much smoother now. :D :D :D

I'll be interested to see how far she can go, with regular servicing.

13. There are several 'oilhead' BMW's with fully documented 1,000,000km histories. This is admittedly a particularly robust engine, but 500,000k's should be possible on most modern engines of a reasonable capacity, that are scrupulously maintained.

EDIT - The BMW 'oilhead' has a measurable oil consumption. If the oil level is not checked as required, it is easy to destroy even one of these paragons of reliability. It's all down to doing what the manufacturer tells you, and not listening to the aftermarket geniuses.

14. Yowser... I shall press on. :D

15. Ahahaha, depends... I can kill them in as little as a week.

16. SOBIL, you are such a hoot! I was going to mention your name in vain in just this way, but you beat me to it!!!

17. EDIT Some bmw oilheads not ALL.

18. Interesting. How many k's has yours done? My R1150R also doesn't seem to use oil, in spite of the fact that according to both the dealer, and the BMW owners club mob, it's supposed to. Mind you its only done 5000k's and they say it's not really run in until 10,000! I've had several BM's over the years all 'airheads' which definitely do use a little oil. The oilheads are supposed to need topping up between sevices due to valve guide loss, not much but measurable.

19. Mine has 60,000 kms on it and my mechanic says it has just run in.
    They are definitely not run in at 10,000 kms
    I service it religiously every 10,000 kms and will probably add 500 mls of oil in between services.

20. On Sundays???