Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How long do L's last for

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by patske, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Hi guys I just finished my motorbike course at St Ives HART in Sydney. The instructor told me that the certificate lasts for 3 months which was perfect for me since I'm still saving for my first bike and I don't want to get my L's until I have my bike. But he also said the L's last for 6months, I'm not sure if i understood correctly but does that mean that from when I get my L's from the RTA I have 6 months to learn the skills for the P's test and then right on the expiry date of my licence I have to go and do my P's test?
    I'm at a bit of a loss in this I thought it would be like a car licence L's that lasts for almost a year but if you are over 18 you only need to have them for 6 months before you go for your P's.

Anyway any help would be appreciated from the ever knoble netrider posse. :D
  2. Not sure about NSW, but here in Vic, its minimum 3 months, and 15 max.

You can go for your test anytime within those limits, whenever you feel you're ready :)
  3. ahh thanks for the help, I think I remember my instructor saying something about a 3 month minimum so i guess max in NSW is 6 months. well I better get my bike and start practicing.