Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How long can you: Hold your breath?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 7THSIN, May 24, 2006.

1. 20 seconds or less

2. 21s-30s

0 vote(s)
  3. 31s-40s

0 vote(s)
  4. 41s-50s

0 vote(s)
  5. 51s-60s

0 vote(s)
  6. 61s and over

0 vote(s)
  1. A few friends and I were bored at work the other week so we had a breath-holding competition, I won by making it to 61seconds, mind you I nearly passed out doing so. We were discussing lifestyles and how it affects your fitness, plus it was the same week David Blaine was doing his week-long underwater thing. (He held his breath for nearly 7minutes :shock: )

The average at work was about 45 seconds, with the smokers (not surprisingly) averaging even less again.

So, how long can you hold your breath for?
  2. 53 seconds before i nearly passed out :LOL:

Back when i used to do a lot of swimming i could hold my breath for over a minute underwater easily.
  3. I dunno about me but i know my mate can hold his breath for 2-3 minutes while he is at 15-18 metres under water, swimming around spear fishing :grin:

A real test of how good your lung capacity is is to fully exhale and THEN hold your breath and see how long you last. My mate can last 15 secs after completely exhaling.
  4. Just tried it then and still made 33 seconds, though it was quite difficult after 20s
  5. I just got to 93 secs before the CO2 Breathing responses started kicking in. You know when you body start to VERY slightly convulse and you get that gasping/gulping/weird sensation thingy as your oesophagus automatically tries to take a breath.

That would be thanks to all the snorkelling i have done recently. I prolyl could go better aswell but i had the flu for 10 days and only just fully recovered about 4 days ago.
  6. 1Min 55secs was my record breath holding, if no one believes me I'll go find Yamahapat and get him to confirm it (he was the time keeper :p )...

The human brain lasts up to 5 mins without oxygen guys so go nutz!
  7. The reasons for this test is that you can never FULLY expel all the oxygen in your lungs. So the bigger a persons lung capacity the more oxygen they will still have stored in their lungs. 33 secs is a good time.
  8. Haha, I should modify the poll to start with 51-60!
  9. I went 93 seconds, used to do over 3 minutes under water when i was swimming, though under water is isier, because you can controll your exhale to normalise the preasure.

The big killer is not lack of oxegen, it is increase in carbon dioxide.
    Carbon dioxide is a larger molicule, so your lungs expand putting a lot of preasure on your system.
    Slow exhale alleviates this.
  10. I've read somewhere the world record is just under 9mins.
  11. Yeah underwater is much easier i must agree...

Although to get an advantage over others when doing the big group 'hold your breath' thing, close your eyes and relax, only concentrate on your lungs and holding them steady...
  12. 65 seconds just now, and could have gone a bit longer if I was willing to atract attention in the office. I my best is 125 seconds, but that was under water and breathing out.
  13. lol, that statement is funny because it is both correct and incorrect at the same time depending on how you look at it. CO2 levels in the blood are used by the body as a response trigger to start breathing again as your oxygen saturation is getting very low, therefore you most have little oxygen left in your lungs. This is what causes you to automatically breath as you body forces you too and starts to convulse.

Hyperventilating can overcome this by reducing the CO2 Saturation in the blood and increase bloody O2 levels. The danger with this, however, is that it also removes your bodies trigger to breath. Quite afew free divers have died while training because of this. The oxygen in the lungs in depleted but because of the low CO2 levels the body doesn't trigger them to breath and so they still think they are good and then, LIGHTS OUT. They pass out without warning.

NOW most of you will assume at this point that they will DROWN unless someone was there to pull them to the surface. Well this is not true. They will still die in this case but the will asphyxiate, not drown. This is because the bodies natural reponse to being in water is to keep the mouth closed to avoid inhalation of water and consequent drowning. When they recover the bodies the autopsy reveals NO water in the lungs and the died of asphyxiation. This is also why you can put a little baby under water and it wil keep its mouth closed and not suck in water. It is not because they KNOW not to open there mouths, it's because the bodies physiological reponse to being under water is to close the mouth.

Next time you go snorkelling dive down a couple of metres and spit your snorkel out. You will notice that your mouth automatically stays closed and you actually have to force it to open, then if you fo slack it will automatically close again.
  14. I like breathing....... \:D/

breathing is my friend....
  15. My record was 3 minutes back in high school. Maths class was kind of boring. A mate tried to match it and passed out. :LOL:
  16. just did 2:10secs standing here.

The more aerobic excercise you do, the (usually) greater the lung capacity you have.
  17. I was more refering to the simple preasure on the lung. let's be honest down in the 60 -90 second range we are still not even closing on the asphyxiation range. but that is some really interesting info on free divers.

Man that is a measure of self discipline.
  18. As long as i am down there :grin:
  19. I must be more relaxed here as I just went 100seconds,
  20. Used to be able to do 3.10-3.20 and I was a smoker.. :shock:

BUT... now i'd be lucky to do 1.00-1.30... you can actually raise your fitness and train your body to use it's oxygen more efficiently by holding your breath frequently....