Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How long ca i hold of 1st service?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by awseome, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Hi All,

i have just Hit 980ks but have no time at all for the next few weeks to put it in for a service. should i still ride it or should i wait till i get it serviced?

cheers for your help

2. don't ride it too much more til you get it done or do yourself, there is going to be alot of metal shaving floating around with in your oil
  3. would it void warranty if i did it myself??
  4. Rather than doing the first service you could just drop the oil and put in some fresh oil.

That's the more important part anyway and should let you extend it a bit longer.
  5. The most important part of the first service is changing the oil and filter. Easy enough to do yourself.
  6. thanks guys, i think i will attempt it this saturday.
  7. First service is more than an oil change. It is a very critical service. Many things are (or should be) checked, including valve lash. A general going over of the bike should also be part of it, checking critical fasteners for torque etc.
    Put it off or do it wrong, and you wil damage the bike long term.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. thanks andrew, i think i will take your advise on this one. i wanna keep it for a while i guess. and also its my first new bike.

9. A very generalist statement and a load of bollocks :?

OP drop the oil and filter. Book it in ASAP and any more than 10% over and you could have some sweat talking to do to have the book stamped. Ask the service dpt how far over they will accept. It helps to have a good relationship with your dealer :wink:
  10. Another good point, voiding warranty or future claims by leaving it too long.

Regards, Andrew.
  11. I've read in many places that there will be heaps of metal shavings in the oil on a new bike. I changed the oil myself after 100 k's on my new bike and didn't see any metal shavings in the oil. In fact, I used to see heaps more metal in the oil of my 2003 CBR600 with 45k k's on it. I also used the "warm it up & run it hard" method of break in on the SV, taking it to the redline a few times after it was warm during the break in period, so I expected to see heaps of metal.

I also spoke to a guy who bought a new gsxr1000 and rode it for 3000 k's until it's first service, with no ill effects.