Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How Japanese Addresses Work

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by grange, Jan 29, 2010.

1. #1 grange, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    This is a good clip that describes how, that often the opposite to something can be still correct....

2. Good find Grange, challenges preconceptions always a good thing. :)
  3. Very very interesting mate! thanks for posting
  4. Ancient Greeks did the same with doctors -- if you got sick they didnt get paid

the block district thing in Japan is easy for me as a builder

that's how new subdivisions are addressed here in Canberra for us builders (we dont care about the street just the land - street is empty space ) before street names are put in -- I have been using that system for 25 years personally and its been that way in Canberra since forever
  5. But how does that system help a person find a house if they aren't familiar with the area and don't know what order the houses were built?
  6. That's why postal office workers in Japan had serious job security*. They're the only ones who didn't have to go around like bumbling idiots to find an address. For instance, if you give a taxi driver an address to go to in Japan, and it's very common for them to stop by the near kouban (a mini police station planted around various parts of a city) near the final destination to ask the whereabouts of the building/house within that particular area.

That said, I DO like how they list out their address. They write their address in opposite order as well. That is, you zone in from a greater area down to the house. For example it'd be like writing: Australia, Postal Code, City/Suburb, Street Name, Street Number, Unit Number. That system makes more intuitive sense to me.

(*I say "had" as I don't know the aftermath privatation of their postal system.)