Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by kevinnugent, Jan 3, 2014.

1. I'm starting to worry a little, I must admit.

I'm booked into a Learners License Course (Qride) and Refresher Course here in Ipswich this coming Sunday.

The temp here today was 41 degrees. Tomorrow it will nudge 43 - 44. And on Sunday (7am to 6pm is the time they've allowed for both courses) it's been revised to 38.

A open carpark - no shade - hot bikes and helmets and jackets/jeans/gloves. What can go wrong?!

I spoke to the lady at the business' office and she said "there's no-one here in Management that can make a decision (they're away on holidays) so we'll go ahead anyway". gulp.
  2. It's actually been cancelled because three or more riders congregating constitutes a gang. :LOL:
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. If you don't want to change the date (or cannot) make sure that you take lots of water with you.

I wouldn't want to be standing around in that heat with no shade whilst trying to pass a test (stress etc.).
  4. Take plenty of water and maybe rent a marquee, maybe some of the other attendees will chip in for some shade.
  5. Hmmm. I actually have a marquee at home that we've used camping - glamping as I like to call it. :)

Good idea. Thank you.

Changing it would incur a 100% loss of payment due to it being within 7 days of the course. (grumble, grumble). Don't get me wrong, I'd much PREFER to get the course done this weekend - but I don't want to die of heatstroke doing it.

There's one in every crowd. :)
  6. You are going to rule that session. Offer the use of the marquee to the testers on the condition that they look upon you favourably.

Maybe take an eskey with reasonably priced iced water in it too, you'll get your licence and make a motsa.
  7. Iced cold soft drinks, and rum and cokes for the instructors. $20 a can. I can see it now. :)
  8. It won't be fun but you'll survive.

Wear cool gear (as in temperature, not "look at me errrmahgawd"), take a hat that you can shove in your pocket for when you've got your helmet off, any skin that isn't covered with your gear you should cover in ample sunblock and drink LOTS of water.

If your going to be an all weather rider this is the first of many hot days your going to live through.
  9. This is extreme though. I don't do extreme well. :) I'll suck it up, and thank the Gods it wasn't tomorrow. 43 would be inhumane.
  10. There's a difference between forfeiting your money due to last minute cancellation vs. not participating because you have legitimate and genuine concerns about your safety under the circumstances, but no one else but you will know that, it's up to you to convince them if that's how you feel about it.

So strikes me as a potential legal question along the lines of OH&S i.e. duties to provide a working environment that is safe and without risks to health, including safe systems of work, information, training, supervision, and where appropriate personal protective equipment etc etc.

I'd say it would still go ahead, they'll prob attempt limit time in the sun, have enforced rest breaks and encourage constant hydration. Watch for the signs of your own mental fatigue as the day and temps march on, Victriple's advice for cool clothing and total cover to avoid being baked is v.good.
  11. Queensland doesn't have OH&S in relation to temperature, unless you're an office worker of course. They're now forecasting 38c on Monday, when I'll be outside at work :(
  12. Is there no defined temp for either? but its def a risk (hazard) they should be managing. Hard enough to get big coy's to action that, let alone a motorcycle training group. I guess we'll see.
  13. In some industries they have designated temperatures where work is required to stop, but it's usually a tad higher than 38. I worked in a roof pulling cables at 60C as an apprentice. It was 15 minutes in and an hour out for apprentice scum and tradesmen alike.
  14. depends on how comfortable you are. The right gear helps a lot.

Wear a camelbak and keep drinking.

15. That has gotta have been a warm day to still be over 40 after 7pm :)
  16. Just another day in Ghetto-Springs.
    The heat sucks, light long sleeves and a towel. Sweaty helmets are unpleasant. But drink heaps of water, 1L per hour over 40.
  17. Pretty sure that's the trip meter your looking at.
  18. It says TEMP next to the 40.5 figure. Maybe I'm going blind from all this heat...
  19. Ahahaha, correct, that is the temp.

I was referring to the time quoted.
  20. A point of reference for today. It's 4pm at my place, and the temperature gauge outside and in the car say 44.5 degrees. Mama, it's HOT!