Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How hard is too hard (new bike)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by varsis, Feb 21, 2012.

1. So I've got a brand spanking new bike, CB400SF ABS, and I know it's always best to work a new bike in. However, I'm not sure how careful I have to be breaking it in. Obviously I'm not red lining it everywhere, but I do give it what I feel is a bit of 'stick' taking off. Should I be treating the bike with kid gloves, or not worrying too much. I variate the rpms, and handle it carefully (new tyres), but other than that... anything else I should watch out for?

2. you sound pretty on the money IMO

- no redline
    - no labouring (low revs, high throttle)
    - give it berries in the midrange so that the bore wears a bit, you don't want it to glaze
  3. Bedding in rings/running in an engine is a bit of an art but the general rule is don't granny it but don't fang it for what ever amount of km it says in the manual. Your manual should have a running in procedure, stick to that.

Every guy and his horse will have a different opinion on what to do but since your not racing it in the motoGP i wouldn't get too worked up about it
  4. So basically ride it as you normally would without too much top end? The red line is at 13k, I tamper out at about 11k when giving it some, I don't ride it low, usually about 5
    K or so on the rpms when I'm cruising, unless the speed requires it e.g $100.
  5. Dont labour it, dont redline.
    from memory dont go over about 75% of redline for the first couple of hundred k's.
  6. Do not sit at a constant revs cruising.Don't labour the engine(bog it down), so select a lower gear and regularly go up the revs, but no redlining it. Then shut off the throttle and allow compression to slow you right down. Cruise for a minute then repeat.
    Around town DO give it some berries regularly, but don't thrash it. ie restrict yourself to 2/3rds throttle and keep the revs up a bit but stay away from redlining it.

More or less what you are doing...don't baby it, but don't thras it either.
  7. I'm currently in the engine break-in process. I think I do a cross between just varying revs/gears (frequently) obeying the owner's manual, and semi-fanging it in one gear every now and then, still with the revs going up quite nicely. No redlining though. So... probably what you're doing.

The website layout and the way it's written give me the willies, like it's a dodgy advertisement, and I'm skeptical about it, but a lot of people seem to agree with it. It suggests going by the owner's manual sucks.
  8. I'm a strong believer in the hard run-in. The only reason I'd buy a brand new bike ever would be so I can run it in at the track.
  9. Warm it up before riding it.
  10. i do remember reading an article in street bike years ago by IIRC Phil Irving (engine designer, vincent, brabham) saying that at idle especially when cold the fuel burn isn't very clean and that extended (few minutes IIRC) idling leaves dirtier residues on the bore, increasing wear.

his advice was to start, wait a few seconds for oil to circulate and then ride gently for the first few kms.

the article was from the early 90's, but i guess must have been older since he died in 1992, so whether fuel is cleaner and oils better so things have changed? don't know.
  11. Different bike but I know my manual specifically states NOT to warm her up before riding.
  12. Is that for run in or always? I think people get way too paranoid about warming their bikes up.
  13. (y) Its the only way.
  14. +1. Modern bike engines don't need to be treated gently and will bed in better with a good thrashing. Ride it as hard as you can from day one. vary the revs and gears. Ask any reputable tuner and they'll tell you the same thing :)
  15. I find it interesting that modern bike engines still need to be run in.

When we bought our new car 18 months ago I asked them about the 'running-in' period and was told, don't worry about it, just drive it, it's already been run in at the factory, just bring it in for it's first service at around 1000km.

The only thing they did say was to be gentle on the brakes for a few K's?????
  16. The concept of "running in" an engine came about in the early days of internal combustion engines when machining tolerances are nowhere near what they are today. Engines back then needed to have pistons/rings/bearings/gears "mated" to their surrounds as the internal tolerances were just too variable.
    Nowadays engines are put together with such exacting tolerances that there is no real need to "bed in" the reciprocating components.
    Sure, it's wise to take it a bit easy for the first few k's, but that's probably more to do with the possibility of component failure than with actually "running in" the engine.
  17. new cb400 doesnt need to be "run in". just dont flog it in the first couple of hundred km.

greater "concern" would be scrubbing in the tyres.
  18. I took it easy to get the crap off the tyres, just a small amount of chicken strip lining
  19. in the docomentary twist the throttle mv augusta engine episode, the engineers at mv say they run every newly bulit engine at max revs for a good min or so for testing, and almost all manufacturers will run a brand new car/bike etc on a rolling road for QC before they ship it.