Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How hard is the P's - Realistically.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by VBman, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Im just wondering if a reasonable rider can pass the P's pretty easy? or are they really strict.

Im a ok rider, little bit shaky at low speed but im fine with indicating etc.

Any one done it recently? please share your experience.

Also please comment on the other guys in the class, how they performed, and whether they passed.
  2. To pass the MOST test in NSW/ACT you need to get out there and practice, practice, practice. In my recent class of 6 for P's 3 passed easily including me, and 3 failed horribly as they simply hadn't practiced what was involved in the test. It was actually scary how bad they were at the low speed stuff.

Download the test from the RTA website, find a car park or similar, cut some tennis balls in half for cones, and mark it out and practice as much as you can.

Personally I did 30 mins practice of the test every day for 1 month and was quite confident going into the test. Must have done 500+ u-turns, cone weaves etc. Passed with no points lost. Did I mention practice? :)
  3. personally i dont think it was that difficult.

I was nervous and unsure how id go.. but reality it wasnt too hard.

I did lots of riding... but not heaps of MOST practice. I did probably 5 sessions of 1 hour .. riding in circles doing tight u turns and moving the bike around.

You get time to practice on the day as well to get some confidence up..

THat being said. 3 of 7 that attempted the Ps failed. 1 just could not handle the bike at all. Like at slow speeds he was at serious risk of killing himself. Another chick just struggled at slow speeds and put her foot out. and another guy was the same, a few mistakes and then didnt complete the e brake.

If you are comfortable on your bike (as learners i dont think we are every confident completely) you should be ok.... can you manouvre at slow speeds? awesome. Can you stop in an emergency? Good. Can you countersteer to avoid a pot hole or something on the road? great. Can you do a tigh u turn ? great. there you go. You pass. :)
  4. just waltz right in with an uncaring attitude :LOL:

the worse thing you can do is worry about screwing up, because then youll screw up. if youre too conscious of balance and coordination youll throw yourself off, so just do it naturally as youve practiced.
  5. As the guys above have said, it's not difficult if you do some practice. I practiced for about an hour each Saturday and Sunday for the month leading up to the test and had no trouble. Mark out the test in a carpark somewhere and just do it over and over again, get used to low speed because that's pretty much all you'll be doing. There were six people doing the test at the same time as me and we all passed easily (despite being nervous at the start).
  6. I passed the Ps at HART in St Ives - also with no points lost. :grin:

As the others have said - practise practise practise....I spent at least 5-10 minutes most rides doing u-turns, e-braking, slow speed maneuvering etc which I think definitely helped. That being said, whether it is difficult will also depend on what bike you use for the test. If you're using your own bike and it's quite large, you may have difficulties with the u-turn. One of the guys in my class brought a big bike (restricted 600) and couldn't complete the u-turn with it. No sweat though as he ended up just hiring a bike and doing the test with the CBF250.

Out of our class of 6 - 5 of us passed (2 on scooters).

Good luck! :)
  7. one guy failed but it was due to a few things that all added up...
    - crappy bike and very bad condition (only just passed the roadworthy check because the instructor was nice), super obese, not very confident.

practice low speed stuff: u-turns and cone weaves at about 4km/h, or a slow walking speed.

and headcheck all the freaking time.
  8. As everyone so far has said- practice, practice, practice!

I grabbed a set of 6 of those orange sports cones (the little round ones). You can get them in Big W for about $3 for a set. Tennis balls would also work, but it was going to cost more to buy them than the cones! Plus the cones give you a better indication of the size of the ones in the actual test.

Take 'em out to a quiet, flat, fairly smooth patch of tarmac (car parks are good) and practice lots. You do get some practice on the day of the test, but not nearly enough to learn the manouvers from scratch.

The test itself is entirely do-able. Just take it slowly and try not to let your nerves get the better of you. You can loose a few points before you fail, so there's no need to stress yourself trying to be absolutely perfect (so long as you don't do anything so silly that it's an automatic fail!) REMEMBER TO HEADCHECK.

There were 6 people at my MOST day, and we all passed. I lost a point for knocking a cone over in the cone weave, but I blame that on nerves. My test may not have looked pretty, but I passed, and that's all that counts!

In a few weeks it'll all be over, and you'll be wondering what the fuss was!
  9. hi all, just a question is the practical test the same in all states?

I am in SA
  10. No, different in every state.

NSW and ACT are similar for example, but ACT has smaller u-turn and less distance between cones in cone weave. There is also NO practice before the test in ACT, you rock up and do it. We don't get penalised for no head check like NSW does either.
  11. i found it quite simple, copper said ride down the road, do a u-turn and come back, passed with flying colours :grin:
  12. Not difficult, but if you don't practise the slow stuff, you will most likely fail.
    There's no excuse though. It is explicitly tells you on the RTA website what you are required to do in the test. Really, there's no excuse for not passing a test when you are given "the questions" three months before hand.
  13. In my NSW test there were 6 in my group, and 5 (I think) people who had failed before and came at the end for a retest and all 11 of us passed, so no worries about it mate

Although definately do what everyone else suggests and get some good practice in.
  14. I found the test easy, even the eyetest, but the rest of the health check part is a pain. I work out, but it was still embarrassing standing around trying to cover your nuts with three other guys in a line doing likewise.
    You should be able to choose your own doctor FFS and it should be one at a time.
  15. the P's test is easier than the learners! :LOL: i just rocked up, did a bit of riding and that was it, happy days :grin:
  16. wtf? hes going for p's not getting a finger up his arse :LOL:
  17. practise your u turns (its the thing i worried about most)

a reasonable rider should be able to pass

if a spastic like me can pass you have no excuse
  18. I found the P's test to be fairly easy, but i did alot of riding in the 5 months i held my L's.....it was my sole transport for starters, not to mention leisure rides. Anyway i think practice is the key as some of the low speed stuff can be a bit trick if you havent done much riding. Would also suggest doing the test in something light and nimble (even for a learner bike) due to of course the low speed stuff. When i did my test, all of the 6 who were doing it with me pasted with flying colours. ps i am from nsw if that makes a difference in the test.

19. Another post I'd forgotten I'd posted - its time I gave up the booze :)
  20. Its a piece of piss mate. When i did my license conversion i was supprised at that they didnt fail 80% of the people there. 3 of them definately should have fail, but they just passed. One of them almost ran the instuctor over and that was on a scooter.

Dont stress.