Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How good is your Rear brake?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by tim650, Aug 28, 2008.

1. As topic says how good is it... Im a little confused with my bike and not sure what to expect to from a rear brake because my bike before had drums all round :LOL: Its okay laugh...

The front is killer, pulls up all the time for my needs, what i expected from having twin discs on front for a bike.

Now the rear, isnt the same story. From day 1 it felt weak and feels like its struggling to slow the bike down. I've tested on numerous occasions doing 20-30kays and applying the rear brake only and it very very slowly, slows down the speed and will take sh*t ages to stop the bike.

For slowing down on a bike you are taught to apply both brakes in which i do but dont think it does anything for my bike (ER-6n).

I see videos where people lock up the rear wheels and skid/drift whatever at pretty decent speeds.

Maybe my bike has cheap crap brakes but from my previous bike the drum on the rear did wonders compared to this.

Any thoughts, i haven't touched the brakes, maybe need to be bled or adjusted some how. Bike only has 2,600kms.

2. Mate, your observation isn't abnormal.

Most bikes have an even or forward weight bias which only increases towards the front when slowing down. The rear brake is always less effective than the front because of this.

The exception is that cruisers have a more effective rear brake (compared to a sports bike) because the weight bias is to the back of the bike. However, if a cruiser is fitted with decent front stoppers, the front is still way more effective.

Don't rely on rear for any decent at speed stopping power - the front rules in that area.

The rear has it's good and practical uses but be aware, if abused at the wrong time, it can really get you in a helluvalota trouble. Plenty of threads around about this topic.
  3. I also have an er6-n and my rear brake is the same as yours. I'm happy with it that way. Don't like locking the rear. :eek:hno:
  4. Yeh i dont, but say if im in traffic and riding real slow, sometimes i apply the rear brake a touch to take slack off the chain to make smooth creeping, it doesn't do shiet.

Even hill starts, i really have to put some pressure for it to hold the bike.
  5. OK mine isn't as bad as yours. maybe you need to adjust the lever?
  6. most are p1ssweak but that sounds very weak. give them a going over. new fluid is a wonderful thing.
  7. Now that's what I call really practical uses!

Maybe upspeccing the brake pad material or adjusting the lever or a brake fluid bleed might help... ??
  8. lets jus say.. Dont use the rear brake at all .. jus hold on to the front.

if u cant get the habit of not using it ... take out the rear brake :) and practice from there lol :D
  9. :-s :?
  10. Adjusting the lever tends to just make the thing uncomfortable to get onto - the problem is really that they're designed for numpty noobs who stomp the pedal like they're slappin' thighs at a hoe-down and then complain when the back goes sideways.

You're probably just gonna have to live with it and give it a bit more welly.
  11. Not sure how effective my rear brakes are, I use both to stop the bike in a straight line, ( my use of the rear even here is negligible ), so I'd had to say that 90% of my braking is front only. I do find the rear handy though, I tap it a few times to display to those behind me, I'm gonna slow down or stop shortly.
  12. It may be different to other bikes and true you shouldn't rely on the rear break for too much stopping power, but it definitely should be able to hold you on a hill and be effective enough to drag the rear brake for stability IMO.

Unless that bike is know for a really really really shit rear brake I would say a check up is in order (disc warpage and thickness, pads, grooves, fuid level, hoses, joint, bleed). Let us know how you go.
  13. Yeah I'd much rather lock the front :?
  14. my pedal is 40mm below the top of the peg and then there's about 20mm play before anything happens. so welly is indeed needed.
    I've done 7k on mine and have got used to it enough for it to be useful.
    the rear (drum) on my old 250 locked up easily so I've become accustomed to not using the rear.
  15. hmm, mine will lock up quick easily, with just normal pressure :? are the r6 is the same

Have you bled the rear brake line, maybe the pads are just old and hard???
  16. i would die without a rear brake.

give it a good service, OEM pads are usually pretty good, decent fluid (i love RBF600), proper bleed. also make sure the disc is true and the caliper floats evenly and rests centered. pm me if you want to know how to do this.

braided lines might give you that extra bit of performance. HEL makes sweet lines in heaps of colours.

i love massive rear lockups into a slide. such a fun way to do tight u turns.
  17. Again people i dont use the rear brake only, some of you think i dont use the front :LOL: , i use both all the time, everytime. I only noticed recently with manoeuvring through traffic that its weak.

I dont know, disc rotor looks good, i might try new fluid.
  18. are you running the original tyres on the back or has there been a tyre change in the past? tyre changing is the #1 reason for bending discs. next is excessive brake usage and force but i doubt that's your problem. you usually can't tell by eye and need to use a dial gauge to see how much it is out by.
  19. Yeh man, still original dunlops, 2600kms on them, still alot to go. I havent touched it, apart from turning the little plastic nut for the rear brake light cause it was stuck once upon a time, now fixed.
  20. Don't expect huge amounts of braking from the rear, however yours sounds very weak.

There should be very little free play in the pedal, and should go solid if you apply full pressure (check this while stationary). If you have a centre stand spin the wheel and check the brake operates properly. Too much travel and a spongy feel usually means you need to top up the fluid and bleed the line.

Check the pad for wear while you're there.