Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how far is too far to test your riding abilities?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by BalmyBrowny, Jun 11, 2006.

1. obviously a silly question... obivous answer being not so far that you spill.... was just wondering how other new riders go with the riding... in that i like to keep impoving every ride i go on... and being a commuter as well as weekend rider thats alot now :D i did a Mt Cootha run today followed by a Mt Gravatt look out run..... i've been riding now for nearly 3 months and think both these are way out of my league still... very enjoyable to ride... but very technical and some tight twisty bits that are bad if ya miss.... wanna know... should i keep trying them to get better??? or progress with other riding first before trying them out more??/ where does everyone else ride in bris to 'try out' their abilities on weekends???

2. Any experienced QLD riders up for a bit of mentoring of some of the newer riders? I can't think of anything better than to put back some of what we've already learned....

3. Nothing is out of your league if you ride to YOUR abilities. Keep going back I say, until you are comfortable with the situations that it presents to you that currently you think are a bit too much.

4.  Top
  5. Agreed. There are no roads IMO that are too tight for less experienced riders. They just need to go slower. As vic said in another thread, people fall off because they try to ride within someone elses limits. Only you can know where your comfort zone is. If you ride at a pace where you feel comfortable and can stop or take emergency action when you need to then you should be fine. Keep practicing and eventually your comfort zone will expand.

It takes time. After 3 months you can't expect to be like Rossi and no-one else expects you to be that quick either. Having ridden trail bikes since I was 3, I thought cornering a road bike would be a snap, but (having got my bike licence in 2001) I'm only just starting to get an appreciation of all the forces at work and the technicalities of cornering. I am by no means an expert or even particularly good at cornering, but like everyone else I'm improving and will continue to improve. So will you. Take it easy, read and practice. It will come with patience. :)

6. Track days, get on em :)

7. I reckon a lot of us are critical of ourselves and how we've 'gone' on a ride - not necesarily every time we go out, and not necessarily in an overt fashion i.e. out loud in front of others. Self-assess, ask lots of questions of other riders, just relax and enjoy. Like others have said, keep going back, coz weather conditions, traffic, obstacles, oil spills etc will make even roads you know well seem different.

8. I still stand by the logic that slow riding technique helps boost learner riders skills quicker than simply just riding. That's not to say there's any replacement for actual saddle time, but a car park session or two will get you working with the bike and understanding what your input means to the bike.

Once you've got as far as you think you can go with the car park sessions (sub 40km/h work), then it might be time to go get some proper training. Track days are a great way to learn, but unless you've got the base skill-set then your likely to just rush yourself into something your probably not ready for. Aim to demonstrate to yourself that you can ride your 250 in a carpark in full lock controlled circles (should be just under 2 carpark widths for the turning circle for the average sports bike), and do things like stop and go's without putting your feet down, then i'd say you'd have an adequete skillset to get some twisty experience.

That said, i cut my teeth riding the spurs with quite a few moderately to very fast riders. The experience gained from watching and analysing the techniques of other riders and comparing them to my own helped alot! Part of the danger of doing this however is knowing when to let them go and to ride at your own pace instead of someone elses. I still enjoy looking back on the days when my FZR250 with a couple of teeth off the front sprocket could tag with a ZX10R (a good mate :D)with his knee down through the Black Spur. Road, peg sparks, armco barrier, speed blur; What a rush!

9. Hey Balmy,
    like the other said, no road is beyond your ability,
    just ride within your skills,
    if you feel that 50kph is the speed you should travel on those roads,
    go with you instincts.

I do like both of those runs,
    the backway thru Mt Cootha is a nice ride,
    the road up Mt Gravatt can be a little tricky,
    there are a few uneven patches, and can get a bit of gravel,
    esp on the downhill run, last corner has a sharp dip.

As for 'trying out my abilities'
    best places, Willowbank, Mt Cotton, on track days,
    last one I went on was the Holden V8 test track at Norwell,
    not sure if that one is still running.

Otherwise,
    there are a few places that are just a good ride,
    even areas that have a bad reputation like,
    Mt Glorious, Mt Nebo, Mt Mee, Mt Tamborine,
    all nice rides,
    Mt Mee, south road is getting a little rough though.
    Just ride smart,
    they are not dangerous roads,
    unless you treat them like race tracks.

Cheers
    Chris.

10. I think the key is riding to a speed that's well within your limits for each corner, but concentrating on what line you're taking, throttle control, reading the road ahead, all those things. When you go slower and concentrate on the basics, you'll gradually become quicker without realising it or having to push yourself and put yourself in danger.

11. Take a course or two as undii suggested. After that, just take it easy and slow until you are comfy.

I wish I read this before I crashed on the way to the spurs. :?

3 weeks after getting my L (2 weeks after I got my first bike), I went to the spurs with my mate who told me going to the spurs (ie. an intermediate level group ride) would be a good experience. :shock:
    I was pretty crap with gear changes, barely made through some tight corners, and was in some sort of self-made pressure to keep up with my mate who was on a bigger capacity bike. When my mate took off probably because I rode slowly, I tried to chase him and overshot a corner because I had no confidence in leaning far and pre-corner braking wasn't simply there.

However, when coming back on my damaged bike in confusion (hit my head on the road) and pain (broken wrist), I learned heaps more because I was riding at my own pace with one thought: every bend and cage can kill me; just ride within my limit.

12. On my very first ride on the GOR a friend travelling behind me said that I astounded him as some of the signed 15kph hairpins I took at 40k's & some of the 40kph corners I took at 15k's. My response I rode at the speed I felt comfy. He spent more time watching the speedo than I did! I rode as wide as possible without going into the left hand crap on the edge or too close to the white line on the right until I got to the apex & could see where the corner was going to take me! Kept an eye on my mirrors & every now & then pulled over to allow any bank up to pass so no-one got road raged & tried to lane split me! Important thing in the twisties is to expect on coming traffic to overshoot the white line as they invariably will!

13. I have been riding 6 months (much the same as you - commute and w/ends) and i have to say that the advice of the others is the best there is. We all go thru the same thought processes. I think so long as you keep questioning yourself, but keep trying, within your limits, you can't do much better. Whatever you do don't forget to enjoy the ride.
    P.S - i expect to still be having these thoughts in 20 years time

14. thanks for all the great words people... i had one friend here ( mate that got me iinto bikes) say jsut remember... smooth is fast... ride smooth and the speed happpens.... i think it all ties to gether with what you have all said here... take it at my own pace and limits and will progress further naturally..... i think part of my roblem was i was riding with a much more experienced rider and had the silly urge to keep up with him... but i found that i enjoyed the ride much more when i concentrated on each corner for me... and he learnt that i wasn't gonnna go faster just to keep up so he waited in certain spots which helped me :D i do like the challenge of riding those circuits... but i think i agree with KOMa in that its definitely worthwhile doin some more carpak sessions to get the slow ride and the bike over at slow pace more to get me used to how far the bike can be over and to have more control over the bike... i practice my slow ride and stop go everyday... i can pull up to lights and hold onto the bike stationary for few seconds now :D (only about 3-4 he he) but helps heaps when you know the lights are about to change :) i think i'll do a few carpark sessions then hit em again... but yeah i will hti em at my own pace..... just enjoy the ride and work the corners myself....
    i do know to watch for the cars cutting the white line..... no less than 4 did when we were on Mt Cootha!!!!! and 1 was haulin!!!! i have this habit of turning into the inside of corners and holding that inside line... not too good when you next to a mountain :p gotta larn to find the apex more often so not against the cliff face so much.....

15. Too far? When you wake up in a hospital bed and there is a bloke in a blue uniform with a big frown writing in a black book.OK,OK,serious-good advice already bud.Just keep chipping away at it,being technical about your riding is a good thing to hear,that means you think about being a better rider without just twisting the throttle.You will never stop learning,no matter how good you think you are.Helpfull advice-constantly look not just at going into a corner and ahead pulling out,an escape route is always nice if it gets loose.Treat every other motorist on the road as if they are an idiot,learn to predict their moves and your counter moves.Keep practicing,it comes

16. thanks heavy elbow.... also what my licensing instructor said... treat other motorists as idiots.. pre-empt their mistakes.. ie.. mother with kids in car turning to talk to them or something and eyes not 0n road, chattty person on mobile and others like that... never expect other motorists to see what you do.... so yeah... still learning... currently saving for a course now :) just dont know which to do... definitely a cronering and braking course i think... cause they both help defensive riding as wel....