Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How exactly does a variator work? and do I need one?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by incitatus, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Ok, I admit that I have had a major epiphany vis a vis scooters recently. I didn’t intend to own one, or even expect to keep it having unexpectedly won one, but hell, this thing has surprised the crap out of me. Now my Duke is no slouch, it’s a Brook Henry tuned special, but I reckon that up to about 60kph this X9 scooter is actually quicker, I smoked a GSXR 750 the other day (up to 60kph only, then he flew past of course), and he was really trying. I reckon the reason they are so quick up to 60’ish is the CVT transmission, it is like having a gearbox with an infinite number of cogs that works really well in the space below where bikes have their first gear. Now I have a taste for it, I’m thinking of buying a Malossi Variator for this thing. Now, a variator alters the way the CVT works and increases acceleration even further, (remember my post on the 12sec ¼ mile scooter?). The thing is, I know what it does, but not how it does it, can anybody explain to me how a variator works?

Edit - After a little thought I put this in the 'modifications' forum because that is what it is, and I'm told that variators are not scooter specific, being used on buses and even heavy trucks. However, if the appropriate Mods think it should be in the 'scooters' forum please feel free to move it.
  2. Why did i read that as vibrator????????
  3. No - he wasn't talking about Harley Sportsters :LOL: :LOL:
  4. because you're a sick sick man smee :)

and you ride a bmw twin! *sheepish*
  5. I've done a google search and found this paper

It's about CVTs and wind turbines but it does describe the functions of a variator.

In other words, you'll give your scooter lots more balls... :LOL:
  6. They dont work. They are a bunch of spotty youths, sitting around in blue polyester pants and silly white shirts and hats with enough braid to embarrass any third-world dictator.

When they're not barking orders at hapless students, they're crapping on about their Jeppesen calculators or how silly the new airspace designation system is.

Or they're gruff old buggers with too many ex-wives, bikes and moth-eaten aircraft.

Oh...variator. I thought you said aviator.
  7. as opposed to gruff old buggers with too many ex-wives, bikes and moth-eaten sidecars :LOL:
  8. HAHAHA I also read it like that :LOL:
  9. Bwwaaaaaaa :grin: :grin:
  10. Ouch. :LOL: And, as it happens, I also own 2 moth-eaten CAO 95.8 aircraft. Guilty, your Honor.
  11. I vaguely recall that CAO 95.8 was drafted with an exemption from CAR 156 including a prohibition on flight at public gatherings? Probably a good idea in your case, if only in the interest of public decency…. :p
  12. :rofl:
    I know a couple of aviators in this position!
  13. I think my brain says it works like this from my understanding :-k
    Just think how a washing machine works and spats your clothes out to the sides thru centrifical force,imagine two big free floating plates,kinda like giant washers, on the bottom and top of the clothes youre washing in the drum, the washers are the same size as the washing machine drum,only they can move freely inside the drum located on a central shaft,then think of a fanbelt attached to the top of the rotating drum,physically squeezing the fanbelt,due to the centrifical force of the clothes,pushing the washers out,the fan belt-which is located in a pulley,that looks like your harmonic balancer on your car(the round bit on the bottom of your car motor,attached to your crankshaft,that the fanbelt goes around)except the pullies in a more v shape.
    The bottom of the diameter of the V shape of the pulley-being as skinny as you can physically compress the fanbelt before deteriation to the belt,the top of the diameter of the V shape pulley, being the same diameter as the fanbelt squeezed flat in a vice before deteriation to the belt.
    More centrifical force(acceleration)will physically squeeze the belt thinner and up to the top of the v shape of the harmonic balancer V shaped pulley,as it rises up the v shape,it will physically flatten out,because the v shape of the pulleys allows it to,changing the ratio to the the other end that the fanbelts physically connected to,in this case,your drive wheel of your scooter I suppose.
    Hope thats makes sense,kinda did to me as I read it back to myself [-(

Why Im explaining this to an aviator who few months back had a 16+ page thread on engine dynamics,functionality,and every principles related too afore mentioned,that had my brain doing this :tantrum: is beyond me incitatus.
  14. It is very critical for good acceleration that the centrifugal roller weights and the driven pulley tension spring be set correctly to increase the load on the engine at the peak torque rpm.
  15. wow,
    there was that blog-email-chain letter type thing about the length of words, the start and end letter and what the human brain pictures the word to be.
    i too read vibrator....clicked the link and saw johnny o's post and was very confused as to his explanation of vibrators and torque :LOL:

basically to my knowledge, what he said anyway :)