Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How does this pic make you feel?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Ktulu, Apr 11, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

Have you ever identified with the people in the background?

I'm still trying to decide whether the implication is fair on police or not...

2. Hungry

3. I think that is is typical tabloid illinformed biased reporting. It is not creative and is UNFAIR on the police in the front lines.

4. I agree it is unfair on the front-line coppers, but...

Do you think that focus on traffic legislation creates division between civilians and police?
    Do you think it might harm community policing of other crimes?

After receiving a low-range speeding offence on a fenced, dual-carriageway, at night with minimal traffic; are you MORE, LESS or SIMILARLY likely to go out of your way to assist Police with their enquiries into another matter?

5. Throw in one more thought bubble..

I wish I could do some real policing instead of being stuck here.
    [EDIT]or I didn't become a cop to do this[/EDIT]

6. Spot on ^_^

An article for your interest...

But, even if it isn't the front-line copper's fault that political policy takes precendence over 'real police-work' - it is no surprise they bear the negative rammifications, IMO.

7. Or....

"I can't hit a barn door from 20 paces with my pistol. I can't believe people think I can hold this contraption on a moving number plate from 150m."

8. or......
    fcuk the police.

9. OK

1: Yes I do, but not to the extent that we may think. People still trust cops as they should.

2: Nup.

3: Just because I got nabbed doing 105kmh in a perfecty safe way is not going to change my thoughts on dobbing in a ped, ****** or burglar!

10. It's the wrong question. The pic is not aimed at the front line Police, but the people making the decisions on how to utilise the police.

Mind you, some (many?) cops get off on booking people for traffic offences and see it as genuine police work.

To these cops, helping people is for social workers.

So I think if it makes front line cops feel guilty, then it can't be a bad thing. The ones that are doing the right thing won't feel guilty.

11. i said something about this in that thread on vic cops...

but its really not the officers faults themselves... its their management and the governments fault...

the force is ment to generate revenue for the state, and speeding fines bring in revenue, and heaps at that... (around $8m per month in Melbourne), and as soon as the figures drop they (the police ) have to find a way to increase revenue....

helping people costs money... solving crime/theft etc... costs money.... radars/cameras raise money.... so it makes perfect sense why they focus their time and effort on the roads... not that i believe its right at all... just makes economic sense thats all....

like any other organization, they work of budgets with expenses and targets...

although id really like to see what would happen if we halved the traffic cops, re-trained them in other areas.... how much worse will the road toll get (per capita, compared to say 10 years ago) and how much more crime will be solved (per capita, compared to years ago)... although... doing this, the money to run it all has to come from somewhere....

12. No-one is having a go at the individual copper; people are people, as everyone knows there are good and bad everywhere, and anyhow the copper can only do what he / she's told to do by the powers above.

The picture is effective because that's the way many in the community feel. You can now lose your licence so easily, when the double demerits are on the police can take away your mobility for a few minor infrigements. They do this to good, honest, hardworking members of our community - the very people they're supposed to protect.

My wife got fined for doing 55 in a school zone - at 2.35pm, when there wasn't a kid around, on a fenced-off bit of road at the bottom of a hill. Given the visibility, anyone could stop safely, it's not a dangerous spot. In fact, they were pulling over car after car, they didn't choose a dangerous place, did they? Most lost 6 points on the spot - that's 1/2 your licence in one hit and 3 years to get them back.

This young kid had the nerve to lecture her on safety. ma vaffanculo.

13. I think it's the standard opinion viewed by alot of folks regarding TMU's, who unlike other cops, are focused mostly on quota's and generation revenue. I can't stand most of them. Even others in the force don't look too kindly on them.
    Then again, some are not there by choice ?

14. it made me feel kinda sad, but then a sudden warm feeling came over me, which soon turned in to a humorous kind of satisfaction. right after that, i lost interest.

15. The problem is that like a business, police units/sections are required to justify their existance for their share of resources.
    Back when I was in the force this was done through statistics - crime clearance rates, booking numbers, arrest numbers etc. Notice this list really is the number of people you've collectively pi$$ed off by arresting, booking, or otherwise dealt with in a heavy-handed manner.
    I always felt this goes against the charter of a proper Police Force, I was there to help - not antagonise (one of the reasons I left it).

There needs to be some more holistic approach to performance stats, but how do you collect meaningful stats on the number of people you've made happy? People you just warned, or been nice too?

So they're stuck with perfomance measures in dollars collected

You want to change this, the best way is to write a letters of appreciation, not complaint. give them some evidence to show they are doing good - effecting change without victimisation or just being barstards.

Then, some of them will never change because they enjoy being bastards.

16. when it boils down to it if its 50 and ur doing 55 u deserved the fine... simple... you knew what the speed was.... everything else aside, you knew what it was.....

iv been done speeding enough times to know that its me at fault... i made that choice... and ill live with it... no complaints there...

my complaint is with distribution of officers... fine catch the speeders etc... but not at the expense of other police responsibilities... don't complain you don't have the staff to combat crime when more and more police enter the force and therefor need to be paid and are distributed to a function that will cover the cost of the extra staff...

to be honest i think the government is to blame for the issues, not the police, because the gov are the ones the put pressure on the force or don't relative the pressure and indirectly force them into operating in the only way they can afford to

**edit**

yea totally agree with you dgat !

17. That's gold mate!

18. We're all entitled to our opinion of course, but you say it so matter-of-fact almost as if there's no argument.
    I couldn't disagree more with you. It's a matter of safety, and where going 55 or 60 is of no danger then why should we get fined for it?

Is is the law that's wrong, not me for not complying with it.

19. Wheres the 'my (family member) was killed by a speeding motorist' speech bubble. seriously folks taking a 200kg+ lump of metal and killing injuring or even damaging property is absolutely not on! in any situation!

As been said... the laws are there in black and white, stop whinging cause u get nabbed breaking them.

20. *yawn* :roll: