Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How does one become boat driver?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ckramer, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Do you need to go to some courses and have a license exam like for Car only on water?
    Is there some organisation for that e.g. "Water Traffic Authority"?

2. Google is your friend

3. Currently in NSW, you only need a licence to drive boats at speeds over 10knots. That may be changing in the near future.

Of course, if you're looking at a commercial licence then that is a whole different kettle of fish and VERY expensive to achieve.

Maritime NSW is very anti-recreational boating, but their website does have some useful info.
  4. I'm looking for recreational license.
    What do you mean by "Maritime NSW is very anti-recreational" ? Who is pro-recreational then ? :)
  5. call the NSW road transport authority or whatever they're called.
    in SA, it's Transport SA that deal with recreational boat licences. It involves a written test only, no practical.
  6. They seem to be slanted towards the big commercial operators is my experience.
    Check out THIS link - I think you'll find it useful.
  7. When I got my license I had to do a practical in addition to the written test because I was under 15.
    About 1992 I reckon.

Not particularly useful to the OP, but a funny memory.
  8. The BEST way is to go to an accredited training course, and do teh study.
    You can pass the test with some study, but frankly, I have seen teh results of people destroying and damaging their new $10k-800k boats because they think having the licence means they have the skills.
    Like riding a bike, there's a lot more than just point and go with a boat.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. We had good experiences with ABC when I and Jacob went down to do their course. I already had my power boat license but was upgrading it to include a PWC endorsement and Jacob was studying for a junior boat license.

3 hours of theory and 1 hour of launch/recovery instruction and 3 hours of practical instruction in the boat.

Some of that was docking, reversing, mooring... and some was driving the boat out in the bay.

They have instructors/schools in NSW, Vic, QLD and SA.

Have a look here... http://www.abcboating.com/

I've been meaning to go back and do my VHF radio endorsement so I can fit a proper VHF marine radio to my centre console fishing boat. I've got 27MHz marine, but VHF has better range.
  10. 15 minutes at vicroads and I walked out with my boat license. :)

guess it is different in other states
  11. That will get one a license in Victoria. In fact it's how I got my license.

But it does nothing to teach anyone about boating... *nothing*.

That's why when I had to chance to upgrade my license with the PWC endorsement I did the full day course in Melbourne with Jacob.

To be honest even a 1 day course can only teach the bare basics... but the Vicroads boat license test is a joke.
  12. Hi Ckramer - from memory you're on the Northern Beaches :?

The Volunteer Coast Guard occasionally run courses, give them a buzz to see when the next one is.

Or try this mob, they have course at Mosman http://www.boatinglicence.com.au/seminar.htm
  13. If you look at the maritime website , you can do the course online , and then you have to go to a maritime office to do a written test , which amounts to picking box a,b,c,or d to a number of questions. You can also get a dvd of the online course , costs the same , but still have to attend an office to do test. There is also the practice quiz online , which if you do the quiz enough times, you will know every question that can be asked at the test.
  14. Aren't they! They hate you even more if you don't have a motor...
  15. Interesting.

Here in WA, you're pretty much invisible to the authorities if you don't have a motor. No rego, no licensing requirement no nothing.

Very appealing to an old anti-authoritarian like me :grin: .
  16. And nothing quite beats that wonderful sound of wind and water when you unfurl the sails and let her go! :)

The NSW Maritime rule of needing a licence for boats which can go over 10knots always gives me a chuckle, because there are lots of yachts out there that can easily exceed that speed even in a modest breeze. :p