Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How does Google work?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by E2W, May 5, 2010.

1. Here's one for the IT heads. How does Google rate a website? If I do a search for "motorbike servicing melbourne" my website comes top of the list. If I do a search for "motorcycle servicing melbourne" Im on page 10. What confuses me is that I use the word "motorcycle" more on my site than I use the word "motorbike". What is Google looking for when it searches?

2. Simply there are more sites that use the word Motorcycle than Motorbike. All of those pages that appear before you in the 'Motorcycle' list don't have the word 'Motorbike' on them.

3. Referrals. Links from other related sites to you help.

Read up about SEO, search engine optimisation.

Purchase some other domains perhaps - everythingmotorbikes.com and everythingmotorcycles.com (for example), have other big sites (netrider) link to you that way, it all helps.

4. I already own a heap of them.

5. Ok, and the DNS records all point back to your webhost for the main site?

Get those links promoted around the place. Put it in your signature, comment on forums and all that.

I'm no SEO expert though, can hook you up with Linux/Networking if need be. Most things I.T.

6. Google gets data from everywhere and then applies a magic forumula.

There is proven methods for upping your rankings in googles search results. Need a bit of research at the least or talking with an SEO dude. There is some good forums out there for this sort of thing.

7. I've been wrestling with this issue for my employer a lot.

Some important points:
    - What is on your index (home) page is what counts. All the other pages have very little relevance. The registered domain name should also match the URL.
    - you need to have the key words and phrases in the body of the index page, as many times as possible, and as headers and subheads where possible (defined in CSS)
    - the key words and phrases need to be in the meta tag in the header
    - as others have said, you need as many links from other sources as you can get

You do seem to have a problem. Whenever I have searched for you, I can find you immediately on the scootercommunity.com.au site, but not under your own URL. If I key in the business name as URL I am redirected to justauto. If you have a site under your own URL at all, I can't find it.
    That could be the major issue.

8.  Top
  9. All my domain names point back to Justauto. These are the guys I host my blog with as I thought this would give me a better chance of getting found by search engines. Am I right or wrong trying to piggy back off another site like Justauto?

10. You want all of your domains (CNAME records) pointing to your host (A records).

Have just auto link to you, and anyone else though.

11. I have to say googling your site, which i like to read (more updates pls!) can be a pain because of what titus mentioned.

12. notwithstanding what Titus said above, the keywords you have listed don't have spaces after the commas. does that matter?

13. I can't give you a definitive answer on that - at least you are coming up on search (more than some of mine are!). But I don't think it's as effective as putting it under your own domain where you can control the content. Your domain names are doing nothing on google if there's no site.
    The justauto page has nothing at all in the meta tag, so that's not working for you ( it would be out of your control anyway, being their domain). Your ranking would seem to be coming from body text alone.

I'm wondering if you set up a basic site with appropriate URL, text and meta tags, that linked via a target tag to the existing blog? Would cost you hosting etc. though.

Need more expert advice than mine I'm afraid. Those SEO guys charge a bomb, and we don't have that to spend here.

14. Thanks guys. This was all good feedback.

15. snore addittinal domans names hamper search rating as its percieved as duplicate content unless its perma routed but then whats the point.[

Just get inbound links and fresh content the rest is all useless

16. I agree with zbike. Many domain names pointing to the same website will hurt your ranking as google considers this manipulation. Search black hat seo.

One of the main car dealers (BMW I think) was banned from google a while ago for having all these key words in their page that were the same colour as the background (hidden)

17. This is a case of less is more, a lot of factors come into it but fewer keywords in the meta tags is better then more.

Age of your domain and how long it's been up count, as do references from other well rated sites. Content is king now though, when creating content try and have terms and phases in headings etc that you know people will search for but make sure it's relevant to you.

Having a million domains for the same site will do you very little good.

18. I think your right. I bought a few domain names and since I did this my Google rating has gone. Looks like in a bid to go forwards I've gone backwards big time.

19.  Top