Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How does a bike bite?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sonicbaz, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Eh ok, so I'm a 34 yr old noob, getting my first bike soon, just wondering some more and coming up with stupid questions. :roll:

This sounds so sutpid, but after having a look around at a few dealers I really love the fast bigger looking bikes. Duhhhh I didn't realise the struggle between my heart and my head (my life?) would be this great.

How does a bike bite? I hear these types of comments alot, but don't really understand what it means.

ok scenario, I just have completed my QRide (I haven't but next week or so) and I get my unrestricted license and then buy a bike like a secondhand GSX750R (these are v. fast I believe), as I ride it out of the dealer and gently apply throttle and take it real easy, is something bad going to happen? Sometimes it sounds like you would instantly vapourize on some bikes. Don't get me wrong I'm not doubting people. just need a bit more explanation.

2. There is no such bike as a GSX750R, Suzuki did make a GSX750F (which makes about 90ps at the rear wheel and is a sports/tourer) and they made the GSXR750 which makes anywhere from about 90 to 120ps at the rear wheel (depending upon year).

Bikes don't 'bite' but the power delivery on a sports bike when it starts making _real_ power will surprise someone who hasn't ridden one.

The bike can do odd things like spin up the rear tyre, fling the front wheel in the air, refuse to turn a corner with normal input etc etc.

These are strictly a result of the amount of power being fed through a single rear tyre normally in a low gear.

And honestly... even most experienced riders don't slam the throttle open on a big bike (let alone in 1st or 2nd gear!).

So the answer is simple... if you don't want to get 'bit' then don't open the throttle up very far in the lower gears and don't rev it out past say 6000rpm until you have substantially more experience than you have now :)

If you don't like that idea then go and buy something with less power like a GS500 instead.

You think all that sounds intimidating? Good... because buying a GSXR750 for a first bike is a _bad_ choice *frown*. The GSX750F wouldn't be too bad, but it's still heavier than ideal for a 1st bike.
  3. Thats not really a good choice for a first road bike try a zzr600 kawasaki or one of the other mulitude of 600 cc bikes available more thatn enough power for you to play with :grin:
  4. nothing wrong with the GSX750 as a first large bike, you just need to remember that the bike reacts to the amount the right hand turns.
    The one thing that does remain static is the amount of people who say "it's not a good first bike!", well what is a good first bike? you can get into the same amount of trouble on a Vespa and you can on the new ZX14!

It all comes down to the wrist and how much self control you have. After the first 3 weeks you will find especially on a 750 your using most of the power anyway so whilst your learning you just gotta move that wrist slower!

The GSX750 is a good bike and wont chuck you off on the first corner, maybe the third but not the first :)
  5. Exactly as ZRX1200R said... big bikes don't 'bite'... but they're far less forgiving and tolerant of someone making stupid mistakes. On a small bike you can happily snap the throttle open mid corner in good conditions and get nothing more than a little chirp and a slight skip from the rear tyre (not-advised!) whereas on a big bike it'll like land you on your ass (or atleast i haven't been game enough to try and hold it yet).

It's just the way that a 250cc bike will accomodate your mistakes and more often than not still get you out the other side of the corner albeit a little shaken; a big bore bike will do exactly what you tell it to - which includes bad throttle control. There's also significantly more weight to a larger bike, which might not seem like a difficult thing to control but when your learning to do slow speed manouveres and do the 'look down and foot down' trick... you'll wish you had a smaller lighter bike. :wink:
  6. For a bike to "bite you", you would need to push yourself beyond your capabilities, or that of the bikes.
    Since you are new to riding, it is more likely that you will step outside of your own abilities, since most bikes these days are pretty good on riders.

Ie...give a powerful bike a fist full of throttle on a wet day and you might get "bitten"...eg...rear tyre could lose grip, kick you sideways and toss you off...very quickly!

It could also refer to the way that you ride...One needs to be "in charge", and ride the bike in that manner - confidently, sensibly, and always running the show, lest the bikes personality override your own, and decide that it does'nt like you anymore - toss you off. :)

It can be likened to, two strong willed personalities - yours and the bikes, and you have to get to know each other to avoid personality clashes. :)

This is usually what people are referring to when they say such things.
  7. He most likely meant the GSXR, i can't imagine him thinking that the GSXF is fast!!! :p
    Seriously though, the GSXR is not a good choice for a first bike, especially later models. They are simply too much of a handful for novices and can be very flighty in unskilled hands. If i were you i'd steer clear of one for now and maybe look at 600's instead, they will be enough work for you as it is.
    Cheers and happy bike hunting! :grin:
  8. Maybe you should get a VTwin something, what with the more predicatable power band an all?

Sidetrack; This quite from Musashi comes to mind:
  9. I've seen a couple of 94/95 ZZR-600s, are those too fast?

edit just seen the above post re:zzr 600....makes me happy. :grin:
  10. Fast enough for a while, not so slow as to be boring. I personally think ZZRs are a really good choice for the newer riders. Pretty predictable, stable, don't look too bad, reasonable on fuel and insurance. What more could you want? (Well I lot of things really but we're talking bikes now :wink: )

11. As a new netrider I'll give my experience. I gave bikes away for 10 years and had the same misgivings about getting a "big" bike. I was offered the same advice to get something small and work up. Nup! Always wanted a Ducati and got one. Its up to you to ride it with respect and increase your skill base as you go along.
  12. But an ST2 is hardly in the same league as a GSXR750!
    The only drawback an ST presents for a newbie is physical size whereas the GSXR has ferocious power and a nervous front end, well 96-00 models anyway.
  13. If you want something reasonably big but noob friendly get a Z750 kwak.
    Apart from power delivery, one other problem you may find with sportsbikes is limited steering lock. Will not be a problem at speed, but at low speed if you are not used to it and hit a limit, you are virtually guaranteed to drop it.
  14. Recommending a z750? Did this bloke do something wrong to you? I wouldn't buy a z750 for my mother in law. Unless the brakes were gone I spose. :LOL: :LOL:
  15. I think I'm set on the ZZR-600, going to the Brisbane bikemania (seeing it's across the road from me :p ) over the weekend and hoping to get a good deal. Just reading up on what to look for. :?

Had a look at one in the flesh today and it's a great looking bike, looks definately fast and sexy enough.

Thanks for all the advice, it's been invaluable. :cool:

16. Well this is obviously a matter of opinion, but just about every magazine review I have read runs contrary to this statement. I owned it for just over a year and it's a fantastic road bike. Suspension is very basic, but if he just got his license he is unlikely to push it to the point where it would matter. And you can get a second hand one now with good ks for about $6-7K.
  17. Never had any problems with brakes btw.
  18. A z750 for 6-7k? we must be talking bout different bikes. I'm talking bout the old z750 from the 70's. I had one and spent more time working on the bloody thing than riding it.
  19. very sensitive throttle + cold slippery tyres + bad low-end response

bike starts jerking a bit as you release the (extremely sensitive) clutch, so you give it a *bit* more throttle, clutch falls out of your hand, bike goes flying forward into .. something hard

20. I meant the new (2004) z750 kawasaki naked.