Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do you respond to claims that riding is dangerous?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by MyoMan, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Hi guys. I've noticed as a learner i get a lot of interesting responses when I tell people I ride a motorbike.
    Some of the usual are: "that's dangerous", silence . . . "Ok", or just "be careful".
    I don't mind when people say to be careful because it is thoughtful but as soon as people say it's dangerous I get a little bit frustrated.
    I usually respond saying cars are the worst on the road: no consideration for road craft/ignorant drivers, texting/other distractions etc..
    Does anybody else get the same problem? How do you respond?

2. Most of the various questions I've had thrown at me could fall into three general groups.

Group: "response"

Little old lady/bloke (parked very badly) performing about danger: "I know it's dangerous, but only because of drivers like you"

Person concerned I won't live a long life (with ciggy in mouth, beer gut, pasty complexion): "I live more in ten minutes on my bike than most people do in ten years"

Jackoff trying to bully me at the fuel bowsers (driving 4x4 with caravan or some other penis allegory): "I'm not afraid of semis, suicidal animals, thunderstorms, or anything else on the road. What makes you think I'm going to be afraid of the likes of you?"

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. if its family or friends I just say only if you ride like an idiot

everyone else I just don't worry about, cause they usually don't care about my response anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. You might get called a temporary citizen as well..

Essentially people who say its dangerous generally equate that to you being on a bike with a helmet and some gear, and nothing else.. No air bags, cage, crush barriers etc like in a car.

I'm sure if you said "Hey i skydive & bungie jump every weekend" you'd probably get the same response.. OOOoooh that's dangerous.

I've found in my life, that until you actually try something and experience it first hand your perception of how dangerous / scary etc something is will always err on the side of caution.

Cheers
    Juz

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. organ donor, ... "well I always try and be helpful.."

6.  Top
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. "Is that a threat?"

8. my brother offered me a lift to work so i wouldnt ride the bike. his wife gave me a lecture on how inconsiderate riding a bike can be. i just brush it off as ignorance. i used to get all defensive like you but couldnt be bothered anymore as it will just fall on deaf ears. if i need to respond i will say its only as dangerous as you make it

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Oh please, please, please! Elaborate on this one! I need to know!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. i cant because i wasnt realy listening. it has to do with me having a young family that rely on me being there to provide or some shit (im aware that i need to be there for my family thats why i dont do stupid shit)
    this all came about after his mate dropped his bike at a set of lights. he was unwell and passed out, dropping the clutch with big revs on a litre bike.

11. So they were just trying to find something to blame instead of saying 'be careful, if you're not feeling well perhaps you should find somewhere to rest for a bit.'
    I see it in the light of:
    If my time's up, it's up. doesn't matter if I'm in a cage and a truck doesn't spot me/ tyre blows out etc.
    Someone runs a red, no time for evasion etc.
    I step out at the wrong moment/ slip on something near the edge of traffic etc.
    bad food...
    Get stuck in a room with no exit and Home and Away stock on loop..

Something's going to get me eventually, we should enjoy our time while we can.
    I know I will.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. "You're just making excuses about how jealous you are that I've got the balls to ride a bike and you don't" :)

13. "Being over opinionated is far more dangerous than riding"

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Hrmm sounds a lot like a Final Destination moment...

[start scene]

ArcherArcher is at a job interview waiting in the lobby.. As he looks out the window to battle the boredom of waiting, he spots some construction workers outside hauling a cage using a massive crane.. The theme to Home and Away plays in the background of the office, it's stuck on loop and has been playing for the past 26 excruciating minutes. Someone forgot to turn down the heating, and its beginning to become somewhat annoying..

Finally the interview is over.. Archer leaves the building and decides to buy bag of roasted nuts and a coke zero.. Yummy..

As Archer proceeds to hop on his bike & put his gloves and helmet on some guy, in an apparent rush, crosses the road whilst the red man is showing, causing a truck to lock its brakes and swerve coming dangerously towards the unaware Archer..

Archer, kicks the bike into first and guns it (thank god for his previous lane splitting experience and awareness) only to be narrowly missed by the truck which then proceeds to slam into a Garbage truck full of bad food.

The explosion causes one of the Garbage truck tires to fly through the air , approaching Archer at a rapid pace then BANG!...

Luckily for Archer, a cager using an ipad whilst chatting on their mobile phone drove into his lane causing Archer to swerve, lose grip, and slide off his bike onto the grass nature strip.

The tyre lands squarely on the drivers side windscreen and BAAAAM!

[end scene]

But yeah , who am i to know whats going to happen.. :sneaky:

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. I just tell them that if they are worried about it then they shouldn't ride. As for my safety what I choose to do is my business.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. I am 55 years young! Have risen on the road earlier, like about around 30 years ago on the road! I am a cyclist who races and used to do about 300 K's a week on the road. I always wanted to get a road bike but my wife said if I did she would be gone, which is fine as I know the perception on riding is that it is dangerous and I agree yes it can be! But I do not want to do this because I have a death wish. So last week I come home and said to my wife I want to get my bike licence her reply is ok whatever! Maybe because my daughter is older know I am not sure? But in a week I have booked in for my learners, looked at LMA bikes and what is available for my needs? So I have decided on the Yamaha MT 07 as they seem and really good bike going by all the reviews so I have paid a deposit on one. I will hopefully will I am confident enough ride as my commuter to Melbourne from Geelong but I going to take my time and a couple of defensive courses as well. But I cannot explain how excited I am about this and I have to admit a little bit apprehensive as well!

• Like Like x 5
  17. "I ride better after a few beers".

• Like Like x 1
  18. ............................................________........................
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
    .........................,/...............................................”:,........
    .....................,?......................................................\,.....
    .................../...........................................................,}....
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
    .............../...................................................,:”........./.....
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

I've known people to say that. Suffice to say, I don't know them any more.

That said, I usually play pool better after a few..

19. My words of wisdom for moments like these -
    image.

• Like Like x 1
  20. "blah blah, motorcycling is dangerous"

"So is eating frozen berries" :D

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1