Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do you know a road is sealed?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by VFR750 IRYDE, Dec 9, 2008.

1. I'm planning my first multi-day tour. I intend on heading out to enjoy some of the alpine parts of our state (VIC) during January.

Is there a reliable way of knowing which roads are sealed and which are not? I'm using Google maps and I'm assuming that if a road is NUMBERED then it is SEALED... but I could be leading myself astray!

How do you know?

The roads in question are:

C511 - Warburton to Jamieson.
    C486 - Jamieson to Heyfield
    B500 - Bright to Omeo over mount Hotham.

I'm pretty confident that all my other planned roads are sealed, but any advice as to how one can be sure would be useful for future planning!

2. Easy.

You'll see at least one of these

3. Thanks Hornet. That's the kind of advice that I've come to expect from the NR community... :p
  4. the C511 is sealed from warburton to cambarville, basically to the intersection known as cumberland junction, at the top of the reefton spur.
    from there it is unsealed. i can only assume most of the way. this i know coz i've ridden it (the sealed bits).

the C486 is unsealed from jamieson to licola approximately. from licola to heyfield it is sealed. this i have only been told, yet to ride the road, but i will. or parts there of, haha.

i believe the B500 is sealed, but this is only an estimate. when using google maps, try clicking on the street view app, and actually looking at the roads themselves, assuming google have mapped the road in question. only part of the B500 is mapped from the locations you mention. this part is sealed.

but basically, there is no simple, efficient method, just ask around. alot of knowledge on here, google maps and street view is useful, or if need be, look up a business in the area, give them a call and ask!

enjoy the trip :)
  5. get a decent map. the ones the 4wd guys use or a hiking map of the area.

somewhere like this will have them

I think anaconda has a good range as well
  6. You're in Vic so get down to the nearest RACV shop and buy a VicRoads map book. Roads are colour coded.

Edit: nibor is correct :wink:
  7. B500 is highway between Wangaratta and Bairnsdale and is sealed all the way.

It is one of the best scenic roads you will find. From Bright to Hotham on to Omeo and finally to Bairnsdale you will love it all.

I've only ever done it in a car but can highly recommend it.
  8. I have found that the people at the Parks Victoria website are very helpful if you email specific road questions to them. Do it politely, and you'll be shocked at how well a Gubbermint Bureaucracy can actually work.
  9. + 1 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Oops back to work :roll:
  10. Heaven on Earth on a sunny day, hell in bad weather :wink:
    One of those roads that stick in your memory forever. Everyone should ride it.
  11. Satellite photos in Google Maps can sometimes reveal the status of the road if you take a close look at a few points along the road.

(Of course, you can be unlucky like me and randomly check 3 points along an unpaved road in Google Maps... Points which just happen to have pavement.)

Otherwise... what the others said, I guess!
  12. Or buy a V-Strom :grin: :grin: :grin:
  13. RACV publish good regional maps of Vic.

Hema are also good.

Google maps are not good enough IMO for reliable navigation on the ground, tho if Streetview is available you can get a view of some intersections.

(The Omeo Hway is covered by Streetview oddly, whereas many more commonly used main roads aren't yet.)