Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do you get the sticky crap off?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Mizz ZZR, Mar 7, 2005.

1. I've got to get rid of my shitty stick on foam tank protector, that's ruining the whole look of my bike - or buy another bike....

Someone at Friday coffee a couple of weeks ago told me of a product to get the sticky crap off, but can't remember who that was or what the product was - great memory.

I've tried Eucalyptus oil, and it takes forever, but I'll persevere with that if no one can offer me a better solution....

Any ideas?
  2. CRC/WD40 or Prepsol from the local panel shop. 8)
  3. citrus terpintine is spectacular at removing all kinds of adhesive residues (and superb at cleaning pain brushes)
  4. These sound like fun ! where can i buy some ?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :p :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  5. :LOL: i of course meant painT brushes. I almost ALWAYS make that same typo when trying to type paint... i wonder what professor freud would say? ;)
  6. Um, wont somethin like that damage the painTwork?

*sniggers* :p
  7. Prepsol wont harm your paint work but citrus terpintine will (henece the reason why it is so good at cleaning brushes) You can use metholated spirits but it will dull down your paint work.....or you can buy a product called VarX (vynil adheasive remover) from any sign shop, Give spandex a call 9681 9433, they should have it, failing that Artmart or 3M
  8. That's the stuff! Thanks buddy!
  9. Grease and Tar remover from any autoshop/kmart/bigw etc
    Its another name for prepsol
  10. Zippo lighter fluid (naptha).
  11. Try a little heat from a hairdrier, softens it up and rub it with your hand, it should ball up and roll off.
  12. big kevs goo remover!!!

the stuff works well. When some scumbag badged almost every badge off my car (why i don't know, its a 1998 corolla ffs!) i gave big kevs goo remover a go and it did a fantastic job at getting the remaining adhesive off.
  13. Thanks guys, here's an update....

I thought I'd try the non chemical hairdryer option first. Took a fair amount of time, but a couple of blisters later, it was off. Probably took about half and hour, if you include stopping every now and again for my fingers to cool down.

Once it was all off, I used some eucalyptus oil to remove the smears, then washed it and applied a couple of layers of polish, and VOILA!

About a week later, the main blister on my pointer finger is healing nicely :)
  14. In the future use a product called Citrasolv - can buy it in the supermarkets. It is a concentrate of citrus juices and is non-petroleum passed unlike the turpentine product mentioned above. It should not affect plastic, although it does pay to test on a non-visible surface prior to using. It is fantastic for removing adhesive residues especially off white goods (three little nodz' can attest to that).