Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do you do U-Turns?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jate, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Hi, I'm a fresh newbie on a bike, cant figure out how do you do U-Turn's properly?

I find that coming into a u-turn, I slow down with the bike upright almost, then its harder to turn cuase cant lean too much when its not going fast enough. If I have to stop midway (becuase of median strip...wait for traffic the other way) then proceed again, I find that its not enough runway to buiild up enough speed going forward before once again leaning to finish off the u-turn.

Curious to hear your tips.

2. select first and maintain speed + throttle, then when you get to where you want to do you u turn use you rear brake to decelerate... maintain the same throttle! this puts your engine under load and helps you to keep control of you bike. Turn you bike you will have to lean in a little bit for a tight radius but with practice you will get it.

It also helps to shift across in your seat to the side your turning in on. Move left going left move right going right... this sets your weight distribution up for a low speed turn....
  3. Obviously 1st make sure theres no traffic coming from behind into on-coming lane your turning in to flow with.
    Look on the other side of road to the point you want to ride to,pick a safe point in the middle of the lane your turning into.
    draw an imaginary arch with your eyesight to that point,taking into account the turning circle of your bike and road conditions obviously
    focus and look at that point,make sure youre speed and gear is right for the turn,obviously being a u-turn its probably going to be 1st,maybe 2nd
    initiate the turn and dont be afraid to fan the clutch while turning and leaning if you have to
    some people,like myself, also ride the back brake,this really helps me personally with stability.I can accelerate in the turn if I have to and can slow it down without affecting the trajectory if I over accelerated.
  4. movin said:
    This is an interesting topic jate...I've been wondering about U-turns.

Movin, what do you mean by the above?
  5. lightly pull in the clutch so it slips and the engine revs rise a little... pull the leaver just to the break out point of the clutch... feathering the clutch
  6. Fair question Jate, but did you try searching the forum before asking? There are many good threads with good advice on how to approach, and improve on U turns and tight turns.
  7. this is my best tip i can give you, dont go too slow otherwise you'll have to put your foot down and also turn your head and look where u want to go. by looking, your body adjusts itself and you'll find turning is easier
  8. fixed
    (i may be wrong, but this was my interpretation)
  9. I agree with Al Bundy re shifting weight to the opposite side, ie tip the bike in, but keep your body relatively upright. The bike turns heaps better if it's leaning over, but because you're not going fast enough, you need to have some weight leaning the opposite way to keep the bike from falling over...

... mind you, I can't do U-turns either :)
  10. while talking of turning... i notice that my bike doesn't countersteer as much as it should, yes if i push right it goes right etc etc, but i've looked at it midway through some corners and seen it point into the corner.... kinda makes me awkwardly nervous... is that normal/my imagination/bent frame/really bizarre??
  11. wot he dun said
  12. HART training says to turn tight circles (or U-turns) as in the case of small roundabouts, use your rear brake, maintain your revs, lean the bike into the turn, but lean your body away from your turn, thus keeping your body at right angles to the road and maintaining balance. Look towards the centre of the turn, then straighten up as you come out of the turn. Watch how the motorcycle cops do their turns, and you'll notice they lean away from the corner/s. Try this on some unused roadway or in a park and see how you go.
  13. Yeah just lean your bike into the corner and counter act the weight change by sticking your body out the other side, that usually gives you a much better turning circle.
  14. Agree and correct, all except the look towards the centre of the turn. HART always say look hard around the corner, to where you are going, as far as I know. They sure tried to hammer it into me.
  15. Definately lean AWAY from the turn in the slow speed stuff. Let the bike lean right in but make sure your body is off the OTHER side to balance it.

At the same time, turn your head around the way you're turning. It looks stupid but you can turn so much tighter when you do it this way it's definately worth it.
  16. I wish my bike had like, training wheels so that I could practice this without worry about dropping the bike :( I know how it's meant to be done, now to actually be able to commit to leaning the bike over!
  17. #17 Azz, Oct 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    This here is a good clip showing some Jap bike cops in training/competing
  18. Pretty much everything said so far has been on the money, I'll just add another small point: years ago when I was learning, an instructor was watching me trying to do smooth low-speed turns. He said, "What are you doing with your inside hand?"
    "Pushing", I said.
    "And what are you doing with your outside hand?"
    "Er...., nothing?" says I.
    "No, you're pushing back the other way with it!" says he.
    Of course he was right. I was consciously counter-steering with one hand - and unconsciously counter-countersteering with the other hand!!!
    The thing is, you've got to trust the bike to go right when you push right. It's not actually as hard as it sounds. Find yourself a nice big empty parking lot to practise in, and just go around trying out short, sharp steering inputs until it becomes second nature. Keep the weight on the pegs and the seat (not the bars). turn in should be a small quick movement, and once the bike is leant over you may find the bars are pretty much straight for the rest of the turn. You maintain balance with your body, and the throttle held steady. If you find yourself going to quick, apply back brake rather than slam the throttle shut.[/b]
  19. The only suggestion I have to add is dont look at the ground. Simply look over your shoulder to where you want to end up and the rest should fall into place i.e. lean..etc..

I found I had heaps of problems when I would focus on the kerb or try and trace a path on the road with my eyes..

I still find myself looking at the ground doing U's from time to time and i always stuff the up.. The moment I just turn my head and ride everything is cool..
  20. the u turn is technically the same as 2 car spaces. go to a car park and practice using that guide.

turn your head, then the bike.

it's easier on a dirt bike cause it has a tighter turning circle.