Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do you describe riding to your friends?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Spiritech, Sep 29, 2016.

1. I have many friends who do not ride. In fact they are actively opposed to it, describing bikes as "death machines". I try to describe the feeling of riding to them, but it is difficult. I describe it as "as close to flying as possible without leaving the ground." or I describe the mid corner lean over feeling complete with the time dilation. They all still stick with the "death machine" line. How do you describe riding and what responses do you get?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. i just laugh at them
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I just say that I love it
    No point trying to convince the unconvinceables
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. I tend to just say it's something I enjoy doing. That often leads to either an interested or disinterested (or negative) response. If they're interested, take it further and you may get somewhere. If they're not, don't bother - sounds like your friends fall into that category.

Still have this conversation with my folks, oddly enough. Despite having two kids of my own :p

Edit: Mick MMick M beat me to it
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. My friends are now all riders.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. then i practice the secret handshake
    • Funny Funny x 4
  7. I don't want to know the secret handshake, I fear that I'd have to wash my hand afterwards.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. or you could lick them clean
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. maybe wipe them on the front of your shirt
  10. Did I see you doing the secret handshake at Gembrook on Saturday?
  11. My friends tell me to stop taking pictures of my bike. Is their fault though - they say they are thinking about going somewhere (maybe next month or the one after), I say, oh I was there just last weekend and show them a pic of the place - I can't help it if there is a bike in the middle of the pic.
    • Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. yeah
    a little latter
  13. So that explains what I saw on my helmet cam.
  14. maybe
  15. some people ride and most of those that don't are just too scared.

unless they express an interest I try not to describe in too much detail anything to do with riding as it just gives many of them the chance to tell you that you are crazy or some horror story - I don't want to hear it so I just talk bikes with other riders - you guys understand me!
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  16. I paraphrase Tracks magazine: Only a rider knows the feeling. Other than that, I don't waste my time or theirs.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. The only reason I bring this up is because I was just talking to my best mate, he invited to me his AFL grand final day party. I mentioned I'd be riding and he couldn't understand the appeal of riding vs hot wings and beer(even though he knows I don't follow AFL). I tried to describe why I ride and came up on a roadblock while trying to describe the feeling.
  18. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. #19 oldcorollas, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    just tell him you'd rather be by yourself on a vibrating machine getting hit by bugs, rather than spend time in the presence of people like him?

(at least he'll stop asking...)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. The wings and beer sound great. The footy not so much. My sports are pretty much all fairly solitary, even when i'm doing them with mates. I explain my lack of interest in team sports thus: if it's not about me, I'm not interested. Mostly people get it and if they don't, it's their loss.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1