Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How Do You Cope With The Heartache And Shame

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by hongyi77, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Just wondering how people cope with the heartache of dropping your bike, assuming purely cosmetic consequences. I try to stay calm and learn from it, and avoid any non constructive behaviour like moping.

Would you ride around with bent levers (if it doesn't affect effectiveness) and scratches or would you replace the lot, so that fellow riders won't deem you incompetent?

I like my vehicles to reflect the care I put into maintaining them and also dislike the negative assumptions made of female drivers/riders when you see damage on their vehicles.
  2. Heartache? I like to look after my bikes, but it's only metal and plastic, I'm not going to start blubbing if it gets messed up.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. On my learner bike I would have just left any cosmetic only damage, these days I'd have it fixed asap.
  4. I swear a bit, pick the bike up, kick any bent bits straight again and ride on. It's no biggy.

As for riding with scratches, bent levers etc, many of the bikes I've owned have been entirely composed of scratches and bent levers, apart from the bits made from gaffer tape. They've still carried me many thousands of kilometers and occasionally shown a clean pair of heels to newer and less battered machinery so no, a bit of cosmetic damage doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Meh, I get pissed if I drop my bike, but that's more because I crashed and why I did it rather than the actual bike itself. I love nothing better than a nice shiney bike that looks all fancy, but at the moment she's got scratches down one side and cracks down the other... In my eyes - more stories to tell and laugh about, gives her a bit of character.

That being said, I have replacements for the parts for when I sell her.
  6. Depends on the bike.

My dirt bike was a pile of crap when I got it, so any dings I've added are improvements. Stickers? Check. Spray paint? Double check. Duct tape? Triple check.

My road bike on the other hand... Well, I haven't done any damage to it and I'm doing everything I can to keep it that way. I suspect I'd probably repair/replace any damage immediately if it happened though.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. repair immediately. Remove all evidence of it, and then move on.
    It's likely to happen quite a few more times yet if you ride till old age prevents it.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. It would hurt too much riding around on a damaged bike. Maybe I feel that way because all my bikes have been brand new and spotless when I got them, and I like to keep things as new. If I had an old beater it might be a different story.
  9. Speak for yourself
  10. I kept my broken indicator lense and bent lever for a few weeks so I couldn't easily forget what a fcuktard I was.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. My bike is scratched, cracked, worn and generally fcuked the hell up on every panel and every part. Literally, i dont think my bike could be more cosmetically damaged.

Does it make a single difference to how it rides, no.

Does it look a bit shit? maybe, but it looks like i ride it hard, not baby it about like some latte sipping douchebag and i like that, a crashed bike is not for posers.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. casey stoner drops his bike.... it's nothing to be ashamed of.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. What are the negative assumptions made of female drivers/riders?o_O

My bike already had scratches and dents when I baught her, she isn't the youngest anymore. It simply means that she's got more character, it gives her some individuality and makes her stand out amongst all the other bikes out there ;)
    To me she's the prettiest bike, I don't care about the 'cosmetic damage'. Why would I care what others think?
  14. I thought this thread was going to be about Hyosung ownership :p
  15. I thought UJM"s
  16. Maybe you just need to ride faster, Blabs. :)
  17. What and crash !!!! Imagine the embarassment
  18. Unfortunately, I don't have to imagine much..Eurgh!
  19. Luckily you dont have much imagination.
  20. Four simple words: "dropped by previous owner", keep repeating until you believe it.
    • Like Like x 1