Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do you check if the wheels are balanced?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kma_jg, Oct 26, 2010.

1. I was doing about 60 the other day and released the tension on my grip slightly to see if the front wheel is running straight.
    The steering started to shake that could indicate that the wheel balance needs checking.

What is the best way to see if your wheels need balancing and where can it be done? I'm in Melbourne, BTW.

2. its probably not a balance issue. headstem bearing, old tyres ect ect.

to check for ballance is pretty easy. you can remove the wheel and just use the axel.

check out how to do it on youtube i bet theres a vid for it
  3. I'll see what I can find on YT, but the bike has 3500km on. Shouldn't be any of that at this stage...
  4. Headstem bearings could have settled in and slackened off. They're usually supposed to be checked at the first service but often aren't.

As for wheel balance, if it doesn't feel like you're riding a jackhammer, it's probably OK :D.
  5. Just a question..

is that your bike in the avatar ??

assuming the answers yes, remove the top box and see if the problem goes away..( especially if the topbox has 2 1/2 ton of shit in it.. )

What do you mean "released the tension on my grip"?
    you shouldn't be hanging on with a deathgrip in the first place

Short excert from "Twist of the wrist 2" ( Page 34 for more reading )

Attached Files:

6. Well, that is most likely true because they didn't even lube the chain as they should have. I did it myself.

Yes, it is my bike and I'll see what it feels like when I remove the box, but there is just a few small things in there. The heaviest being a Leatherman.

I didn't want it to sound like I ride completely without hands, otherwise some wise arses will their mouths full again. I meant I let go of the grips enough to let the handlebar have enough free play to do what it will, but be close enough to grab in case sh!t happens.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check it out over the weekend.
  7. 3500km. Have you ever owned another motorcycle, or just this one? 3500km is probably the answer to the question I asked in another thread, which you avoided. No wonder you avoided it.
  8. pull the calipers off, have the front wheel off the ground and spin it around and see if it stops in the same spot all the time.
  9. Put a chalk mark on the wheel when you do this, it makes it easier to see where the wheel stops.
  10. Don't highjack this thread for questions you asked in other threads. Read the subject if you missed the point of this thread.

Thanks to the other guys posting usefull and relevant suggestions.
  11. As other have said, check headstem bearing tension, tyre pressure & tyres themselves, all can affect head shake.

My bike had a terrible headshake when I was running unmatched tyres, replaced the front with the same model as the rear & it went away.