Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do you carry your camera gear.

Discussion in 'Non-Bikes' started by Pompy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Just looking for tips on carrying your camera gear on a bike, I have a DSL and a few lenses etc, I have heard that the vibrations from a bike can rattle the little screws etc loose.
    Any thoughts?

2. I carry mine in a shoulder bag TT Retrospective 30 or in a small padded tail bag in my pannier.
    For the big glass 400/2.8 & 600/4, I have a pelican hard case for each and that can be fitted to my BMW rack
  3. I have mine fitted into a back pack.
    For local trips then I'd just wear it, but for longer trips then it goes on the pillion seat.
    I'd expect the multiple layers of padding would spare it the worst of the vibrations.
    I think bike vibrations would really only be an issue if you were doing a lot of off road or gravel road riding through corrigations.
  4. I have a Lowepro bag for my DSLR body and two lenses / chargers etc. I used to just put it into my Ventura tailbag and have never experienced any problems. I have taken it to the Barry Sheene Festival of Speed, Speed on Tweed (the year it was twinned with the World Rally Championship - we rode from Nerang to Murwillumbah and back) and the Muscle Car Masters without issue.
  5. One of the main reasons I swapped from Nikon to Micro 4/3rds is the smaller size and lighter weight is better suited to carrying on a bike. I can fit the EM-1 body with grip, the 12-40 f2.8 and the 70-300 plus a flash in a bag that sits nicely in one pannier.
  6. You're looking slightly younger in that shot Uncle Greg (I hope you've updated your gear since then though!).
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Padded bag or even make a bag from bubble wrap and keep the camera in there.
    I carry my gear on the bike all the time and never had problems.
  8. Im a commercial photographer and have been for 30 years. Only been riding for 6 months though on a scooter. I have just been putting my small tenba bag with a 5d and a few lenses into a milk crate on the back with a strap over the top. Low tech i know but bikes and cars have fairly low frequency vibrations. Aeroplanes on the other hand are a problem. The high frequency vibes of a jet do loosen screws so i always uses extra foam when travelling. The bike im not worried about. At least not for around town.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Thanks timax, so I am guessing a Ventura bag with spare cloths etc and the camera etc in with it is ok?
  10. I would think so. Just have something soft under it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. #13 KharmaKazi, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    old thread, but thought id'e show what i use, very compact but holds a lot...

lowepro Flipside 400 AW backpack :

in it i have :

my dslr with Pentax WR18-55 lens attached
    Pentax 50mm prime lens f1.4
    Pentax WR55-300 lens f4-5.8
    Tamron 90mm macro lens f2.8
    Tamron 10-24 wide angle lens f3.5-4.5
    tamron 2x teleconverter
    sigma external flash
    video camera
    3 x circular polarizing filters for my main lenses
    set of square effects filters and holder
    wireless remote for camera
    spare batteries of various types, IE for camera, remotes, etc...
    spare high speed SD cards
    cleaning equipment including blower, cleaning pens, cloths etc.

pretty much all i need except my tripod...
    depending on what i'm doing i take some things out if not needed as it's pretty heavy with everything in it, approx 15-18kgs fully loaded.
    it's a very compact solid and sturdy well padded bag the holds everything in place securely and also has a waterproof cover...

front :

Back :

• Like Like x 4